Talk

Advanced search

To ask the person buying my house to continue next door's bin duties?

(14 Posts)
AllDirections Wed 15-Jun-11 22:31:56

My next door neighbour is 76 and lives alone. She didn't have children so she has no family to help her and she really struggles with putting the bin out every second week as it's got to go over a step so I've been doing it for a year or so.

The lady who is buying my house seems very nice and she'll be living here with her 15 year old DD and 19 year DS. I've been worrying about this bin business and today when I told my neighbour that I'd be round later to put the bin out she joked that I'd have a long way to come to do that once I've moved. She made the same joke when I went to do the bin so she's obviously worried about it.

I'm thinking of asking my house buyer if she'll do the bin for my neighbour or her DC. Would it be unreasonable of me to ask her? Would any of you be offended at a request like this?

NeverEvenHeardOfAgentZigzag Wed 15-Jun-11 22:35:22

We've got older neighbours next door, and the binmen go and collect their bins from round the back.

Is it worth ringing the council to see if yours does anything similar?

They must provide help for people who can't get their bins out else how would they collect the rubbish.

Bumperlicioso Wed 15-Jun-11 22:35:25

What a nice neighbour you are. It will be a good way for the new owners to get to know their neighbour.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 15-Jun-11 22:36:09

I think it's nice. It will introduce her to the neighbours in a really nice way.

VforViennetta Wed 15-Jun-11 22:37:40

Can't see why they would be offended, they can only say no.

DogsBestFriend Wed 15-Jun-11 22:40:15

I wouldn't be offended in the least. I hope that your purchaser isn't either. You can only ask, can't you? Your buyer seems nice so you can be fairly sure you won't get a rude response, you've nothing to lose.

Just in case she is unwilling to help is it not worth asking some other neighbours to help the elderly lady and keep an eye out for her when you move? Maybe even offer the lady your mobile number so that if she has a problem she can contact you. Fair enough, you may not be able to help physically but if she's in need and doesn't know where to turn you might be able to advise her or contact appropriate sources of help in the future, especially given that older people are often not on the net/not aware of the help available to them/feel too uncomfortable about asking for help from strangers or outside organisations.

And a pat on the back for you! You sound like a lovely lady to live next door to. smile

bubblecoral Wed 15-Jun-11 22:43:52

I wouldn't like to be asked, but if you subtly pointed out the problem than I would probably offer. I don't intend to sound mean, but I don't think it would be polite to ask with an expectation.

cat64 Wed 15-Jun-11 22:45:45

Message withdrawn

RufousBartleby Wed 15-Jun-11 22:45:58

I think you can tell her that this is what you have been doing.

I don't think you can ask her to do it.

She may, however take the hint.

meditrina Wed 15-Jun-11 22:53:06

I think I'd ask, in a friendly and low key way. If your buyer is nice, she shouldn't mind being asked. And if you don't ask, then who will? Or more to the point, when (and what happens in the interim). Your neighbour might not want to ask herself - and if for any reason the incomer doesn't want to do it, then it would be much more awkward for her as she has to be next door, than you, who'll be gone.

But you'll have to be tactful, so the incomer doesn't feel railroaded. And if there's anything in it for her (eg neighbour is usually at home and will take in parcels) that might help. As might an appeal to get quickly rooted into her new community.

perrinelli Wed 15-Jun-11 22:57:37

If I were buying your house I think I'd appreciate knowing that's what Youve been doing and would want to carry on. Perhaps you could let the buyer know without putting pressure on. I'm sure if they're as nice as you seem they would want to help and carry it on but I think ultimately it's better just to let them know without directly asking if they will. Otherwise I'm sure other posters are correct that the council must have some plans in place to collect bins from those who are unable to put them out themselves.

chicletteeth Wed 15-Jun-11 22:59:46

You can mention it, but that's all you can do.
It's up to her if she helps.

SofiaAmes Wed 15-Jun-11 23:02:46

I think it would be nice to let the buyer know. If I were the buyer I would want to know. I think it's wonderful to help your elderly or needy neighbors out instead of insisting that it's "the council's job." When we lived in London, my dh was forever helping out the local elderly. We had one older gentleman that dh would "rescue" several times a week. Every time he went to do his shopping he'd buy more than he could carry and get exhausted half way home and sit on a garden wall until dh drove by and picked him up and took him home. Never would just accept a ride to and from the shops, though!

AllDirections Wed 15-Jun-11 23:04:40

Thanks everyone! I'm moving in less than 3 weeks and I told my buyer that next time she comes to measure something that I'd introduce her to my neighbour. My buyer left me a message today about arranging to come again so there is my opening to mention the bins.

My neighbour is really nice and she is always doing things for me, taking in parcels like meditrina said and she also keeps a key which she regularly needs for when my DDs forget their own. Some other neighbours would help if they saw her getting into difficulties, like a few months ago when I misjudged the step and tipped the contents of her bin all over the back alley. We both stood there laughing hysterically and a neighbour came to help. BUT he wouldn't then make the connection and offer to help on the next bin day. People just don't help each other like they used to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now