Talk

Advanced search

Jeremy vine talking about chavs on BBC2

(6 Posts)
Moomoochops Wed 15-Jun-11 19:46:48

Was listening to the Jeremy Vine show today discussing chavs.
Lots of descriptions to what it means
Council house and violence, but he made a good point saying that most chavs were quite well off they are called chavs because of the bling they buy and flash cars aka Jordan style with orange fake tan and pink cars I think it's trashy and vile money don't by class

Pumpernickel10 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:53:20

So all people that live in council houses are violent are they?
Methinks you are deluded smile

Punkatheart Wed 15-Jun-11 19:53:43

Or punctuation. How about an orange car and a pink tan? That sounds nice.

Pumpernickel10 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:59:30

I get a pink tan every summer then it peels off sad

tulpe Wed 15-Jun-11 19:59:39

I didn't hear the debate but as far as I understand the term, wasn't it supposed to apply to people with money but no taste? All flashy/trashy? Or people who despite not having much are prepared to spend their money on "labels" and such to indicate status? Didn't all begin with the fad for head to toe Burberry checks? <<shudder>>

It does appear that the term has now come to mean something else which relates to working class people who are loud/foul mouthed, DCs running riot, parents not caring, generally not the kind of people you want to be stuck with etc?

What irritates me with this interpretation is that it assumes that people of the middle classes couldn't be described as such hmm which IME is categorically not the case!!

Pumpernickel10 Wed 15-Jun-11 20:04:41

I hate the word and think it's a tad offensive. Someone called my DD one, the once one of her little friends, she was only 8 and clad in Hello Kitty as that was DD craze at the time. I turned right and said do you know what one is? She nodded but said her mom says it all the time. Charming family smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now