Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why there's so many threads taking the mick out of the middles classes, yet one look on the baby name thread makes me vomit

(127 Posts)
rooks14 Wed 15-Jun-11 18:41:44

Bertram
Felix
Florence

No.
No.
No.

FlamingFannyDrawers Wed 15-Jun-11 18:44:11

Each to their own, i've seen worse names. I know a Bertie, he's adorable. Not too keen on Bertram though.

diabolo Wed 15-Jun-11 18:44:30

I like Florence.

Felix is a cat's name.
Bertram is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

rooks14 Wed 15-Jun-11 18:51:28

Wasn't so much saying how awful the names are, more that it seems like there is a lot of threads with people laughing at the middles classes, yet the other threads they're talking about spending £1000 bugaboo's and pretentious names, doesn't add up!

manicinsomniac Wed 15-Jun-11 18:56:33

Yes, it's so true, I've rarely seen a list of names on the baby names board that isn't objectively quite pretentious.

But pretentious names are popular now, what can you do?!

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 18:56:33

What makes Florence pretentious? Hortensia, maybe. Hugo, yes. But Florence? Why?

ps. DD is Florence so piss off.

SmilingHappyBeaver Wed 15-Jun-11 18:56:52

Felix is not a cat's name. Blackie, Smokey and Fluffy are cat's names. Felix happens to share it's name with a brand of cat food, there is a difference.

I know lots of boys called Felix, it's a wicked name. People can tell the difference between a child and a cat... the children are the ones with 2 legs.

And for what it's worth, Felix is a bloody good looking cat...

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 18:58:09

ps. your qualifying post makes no sense. What is your point, exactly?

diabolo Wed 15-Jun-11 19:02:13

rooks14 - long day, missed the irony. Maybe the ones deliberating these names are the very same "Middle Classers" who are being criticised for being so precious?

Smiling my cat was called Hobnob. confused It got awfully embarrassing when he went missing and I'm stood in the middle of my mum's rough estate shouting "Hobnob, where are you Hobnob?" at the top of my voice.

5DollarShake Wed 15-Jun-11 19:02:42

So this is just another rip into the middle classes, then??

Man, some people really need to get that chip off their shoulder. hmm

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 19:03:36

Anyone want to guess the names of the OP's kids?

MrsKravitz Wed 15-Jun-11 19:04:44

I like florence too

5DollarShake Wed 15-Jun-11 19:05:01

P.S. A name makes you want to vomit?

Chip, chip, chip. Do you want some ketchup with them? A bit o' salt? Vinegar?

sue52 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:05:07

Bad names for children, however fantastic for goats.

rooks14 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:17:57

Don't think I explained myself properly....

Joined mn in the hope of finding some normal people to talk to, but feel like i'm surrounded by people that have too much money/time on their hands and use it pretending not to be in that category by slagging off the pretentious "daily mail reading, 4x4 driving, chicken owning middle classes", when they infact belong in that category, and expose themselves with their views on names and excessive buying of uncessary baby things :D

diabolo Wed 15-Jun-11 19:19:38

ah rook14 - it depends on what day of the week it is as to whether you get any sensible answers or not. (PS - avoid Friday's if you don't "do" anal sex.)

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 19:19:49

You do realise there are a variety of people on MN, not just one type?

TheMonster Wed 15-Jun-11 19:20:35

My brother and dad are both Felix. We're in no way middle class. Too poor.

Our old landlord was called Bertram. He was far too rich to be middle class!

I like Florence. It was on the list if DS had been a girl, as it is a feminine version of Florian, which is a family name (but not one we wished to subject a boy in England to).

NationalTruss Wed 15-Jun-11 19:21:08

Don't think mn has a problem with class, more with people just being thick smile

Paschaelina Wed 15-Jun-11 19:21:41

I hid the baby name topic for a purpose. Why the hell did I click on this thread?

<slaps self>
<wanders off>

gordyslovesheep Wed 15-Jun-11 19:23:00

seriously perfer Florence to Demi-mae, Coutrnet-Mai or Gucci to be honest

5DollarShake Wed 15-Jun-11 19:23:01

MN has 100s of 1000s of contributors, and you're lumping us all into one homogenous group based on a couple of threads?

Some of us aren't even in the UK...

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-Jun-11 19:23:13

I like the name Florence. But I also have chickens so what do I know.

gordyslovesheep Wed 15-Jun-11 19:23:17

courtney - fat fingers - sorry

Omigawd Wed 15-Jun-11 19:26:40

I liked Florence and Sienna, but Venice was a bit wet............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now