Advanced search

DD complaining an older boy keeps pulling her skirt down at school

(48 Posts)
veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 13:25:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 13:26:17

MissVerinder Wed 15-Jun-11 13:27:09

10 is old enough to know better. I would have a word with someone. Hope she's ok.

TheFeministsWife Wed 15-Jun-11 13:27:40

You're not BU. Can you have a word with her teacher? And maybe put her in trousers (or shorts) for the time being?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 15-Jun-11 13:27:45

It's not acceptable. I think it could be considered bullying. In your shoes, I would go to the school and ask them to make sure he stops.

I have 2 sons. Neither of them have ever pulled a girl's skirt down. I don't think it's a 'boy' thing. And even if it was, so what? it's an unacceptable thing.

buzzsore Wed 15-Jun-11 13:28:13

No, it's unacceptable, you're not being pfb. Complain.

thelittlefriend Wed 15-Jun-11 13:28:42

I think a child that age should know that is unacceptable. Definitely make sure the school is aware so they can deal with it.

Honeydragon Wed 15-Jun-11 13:28:43

Tell the school, if the boy is 10 then he is old enough to know it is bullying and humiliating. I am sure he'd be upset if a 14 year old ran up and pulled his trousers down. UANBU it is unacceptable behaviour.

Pootles2010 Wed 15-Jun-11 13:29:39

I don't know how unusual it is - I know when i was about same age the boys at school did similar, one day we all had a grass fight (quite common) which ended up with all the boys stuffing handfulls of grass down the girls' knickers, which resulted in us all being hauled off to seperate 'serious chats' with teachers.

At the time I didn't really understand, but looking back...

TotallyLovely Wed 15-Jun-11 13:31:06

Tell the school.

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 13:32:29

YANBU - my DS would never dream of doing anything like that and he can be silly sometimes...have a word with the teacher as it really is unacceptable behavior.

SenoritaViva Wed 15-Jun-11 13:38:43

The school should deal with this and take it quite seriously. At our school a 4 year old was doing it to the 10 and 11 year olds and that was dealt with very swiftly. No child should be made to feel uncomfortable at school (it does obviously happen but the school is responsible for her emotional contentment).

MooMooFarm Wed 15-Jun-11 13:38:55

Why are they not allowed to wear trousers verity? I thought there were laws against that kind of sexism!

And I would definitely complain to the school (about the boy).

meditrina Wed 15-Jun-11 13:38:57

It's a boy thing - up to a point - or at least an isolated incident would be.

But as you say he keeps doing this, so we're not talking about one misguided playtime and it seems he must have failed to heed whatever was done after the first occurrence (or not enough was done).

You do need to go talk to the school, explain that this has now become a regular occurrence and that firmer intervention is needed immediately. This might encompass any (or ideally all) from intervention with the perpetrator, reminders in eg PSHE to whole class about playing nicely and respecting boundaries, and enhanced supervision during playtimes.

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 13:44:34

MooMooFarm Wed 15-Jun-11 13:49:54

There was recently an article in <whispers> 'The Mail' about The Equal Opportunities Commission taking a school to court for not allowing girls to wear trousers. According to EOC it's illegal.

Sorry, I realise that's a side issue....

topazmcgonagall Wed 15-Jun-11 13:54:29

YANBU Agree with meditrina.

He wouldn't be able to pull a pinafore down, but perhaps your dd would be uncomfortable in one?

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 13:55:33

MooMooFarm Wed 15-Jun-11 13:57:54

Well TBH in your position I would ask if she could start wearing trousers whilst talking to the teacher about the issue with this boy. I don't see how they can really say no....

peanutbutterkid Wed 15-Jun-11 13:58:24

Complain, she's unhappy about it and that's good enough, whatever his intentions (or lack thereof).

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-Jun-11 13:58:50

Verity - they can wear trousers. Primary schools can't legally enforce uniform rules so all uniform is voluntary, though they don't publicise that.

Dd wears trousers, no idea what it says in her school uniform policy as I've never read it. Other girls all wear grey skirts so I just got her grey trousers. Nothings ever been said.

CrapolaDeVille Wed 15-Jun-11 14:00:10

This is 'sexual' bullying and your school should take it very seriously.

MillyR Wed 15-Jun-11 14:01:15

If they are in state primary then uniform isn't a legal requirement anyway. She can go to school in anything she wants.

You should speak to the school and expect them to deal with it. It is completely unacceptable. A 10 year old would know this is not right, particularly when it involves a younger child.

microfight Wed 15-Jun-11 14:01:59

YANBU
I would address the issue with the teachers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now