Talk

Advanced search

to think this Channel 5 film crew were ignorant selfish pigs

(48 Posts)
biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:13:05

namechange for friend's sake - see below please!

Out with friend this morning for coffee with DC. I am so proud of her - she has just got into her new home, spent 2 months in refuge after getting away from abusive violent controlling evil twunt of a man. So just having coffee outside cafe, all DCs having early lunch, chatting away and a van pulls up and suddenly theres two blokes, one with a film camera and the other one with a mic and they start interviewing people, stopping them on the street and asking them if they prefer nicole scherzinger (spelling?) or cheryl cole. It is a busy high street with plenty of traffic and people walking by but they are close enough that we can hear they are saying they are from Ch.5.

friend starts shaking and shooing DCs along to hurry up eating and I say whats wrong? Was immediate change in her. She says they're filming theyre filming they're going to see us and he is going to know where we are (she has a steel wire in her jaw and still in pain to breath 6 months after he broke her sternum and several ribs by holding her up against wall and punching her repeatedly, vicious fuck would always say he was good with his hands, sorry going off topic but anyway so you know what she she is so afraid of)

so i go up and say would you mind not filming here my friend and I do not want to be filmed and I lied and said I was the one who had been in abusive relationship and had to run away so that was why I was asking not to film near us (we were effectively backdrop to where they were stopping people to ask them qns). They say oh were not filming now, no I say but when you are can you just not move along a bit so we can finish lunch, but we're not even filming you they say. We will point in the other direction they say.

I am a bit fucked off by this stage but sit back down (DCs are squabbling over something, baby screaming etc). Friend is still nervous and on edge. And then I see they are still fucking filming with camera pointed towards us. I asked them once more to not film us and I said they were going to force us to move and leave our lunch we had paid for and they just repeated the same thing. I went in to get the manager of cafe and when I came back out they were just jumping into the back of their (illegaly) parked blue van and driving off.

So AIBU to expect not to be filmed for national TV unless I want to be (or freind wants to be really but you know what I mean?) They're reassurances were pretty crap and it was quite clear I was just meant to trust them that we wouldn't end up on TV. I even said to them look I know its a bit paranoid but I was beaten within inch of my life, don't want to repeat the experience if he finds me. The cafe we were sitting outside was not a chain cafe and afaik is peculiar to this particular high st (did not mention this to friend obviously) so was thinking it would be easy for her partner to possibly see her new local high street (flat within 10 mins walking distance).

I guess people who think its important to interview people about whether they prefer nicole's legs to cheryl;s (just one of the insights we could overhear) think being beaten so badly your jaw clicks everytime you eat doesn't warrant them moving their stupid camera even 10 yards down the road. GRRRRRRRR.

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:13:43

ps got their reg number - who would you complain to? (thats if anyone agrees not being AIBU!!!!)

CrystalTits Wed 15-Jun-11 13:17:35

What a bunch of idiots. I hope your friend is OK. Can she speak to the managers at the refuge for advice on who to contact? Channel 5 will have a complaints procedure, you could ensure that they know it's urgent (in case they're filming for a news item rather than a programme, IFSWIM).

MrSpoc Wed 15-Jun-11 13:19:35

for everyone they film they have to get a signed sheet of paper giving permission to be aired. (I have had personel experiance of this). If you are shown in the background you can complain and they will be given a good rosting and also compo due to you. I know this is not the answer but maybe a slight remedy.

firemansamantha Wed 15-Jun-11 13:20:40

Oh that's awful.

Your poor friend.

YANBU.

jasminetom Wed 15-Jun-11 13:21:34

Your poor friend, she must have had to be amazingly strong and doesn't need that. I hope it hasn't knocked her confidence too much.

ShoutyHamster Wed 15-Jun-11 13:35:15

Complain complain complain!!

They should get a bollocking!

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 13:36:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5Foot5 Wed 15-Jun-11 13:43:25

"for everyone they film they have to get a signed sheet of paper giving permission to be aired."

But is that just for people they have actually interviewed or for every random passer by ( or person in a cafe) who just happens to get in the shot? I would be very surprised if it is the latter as it would surely make it almost impossible to do outside broadcast.

We were once caught on camera when a documentary was being filmed. One of the soundmen chatted to us and told us what the programme was ( a regional BBC thing)but there was no mention of us having to give permission yet we were shown on the resulting programme (my Mum saw it)

OP Yes I would definitely complain if you had repeatedly asked NOT to be filmed and given them good reasons.

monniemae Wed 15-Jun-11 13:45:07

What a horrible time your friend has had biggestbrother. I work in telly (documentaries) and we have to produce a signed consent form for anyone featured in a programme. If we're filming in a shopping centre for instance we won't be filming everyone that walks past, just people who've given permission. It might look like they're pointing the camera at you but actually very likely they're filming on a tight shot and you/your friend are absolutely nowhere near the actual shot. In vox pops it's very unlikely that they would even want to have you / your friend as backdrop. plus of course they probably film 20 vox pops for every 1-5 they use.
Your friends experience sounds terrible, and I have to say I think they could have been a bit nicer about reassuring you! When anything like this has been brought to my attention, I've always made sure to reassure the person(s) that their face is going nowhere near a TV screen. It sounds like you may (understandably) have been so concerned that this wasn't enough in this situation but I hope this helps. Fwiw, while they are allowed film in a public place like this, and didn't technically do anything wrong, in these circs I would definitely have asked my crew to move along a couple of metres to reassure you & your friend further. So yes they were a bit crap but honestly, chances of you appearing on TV: next to zero.x

MrsReasonable Wed 15-Jun-11 13:45:10

YABU, they can film what they like in public. If your friend was uncomfortable, I'm sure you'd have been free to move inside.

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:51:44

MrsReasonable - there was no space inside -thats why we were outside. we had laready paid for our lunch and started eating when they parked on the double yellows and the pair of them jumped out. I guess you would say we should have abandoned our lunch because they had more right to film us than we had to enjoy our lunch without being filmed?

I think it was pretty clear my friend was uncomfortable? Why say * if * she was uncomfortable? You don't believe that she was from what I already said?

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:52:56

Also actually i didnt think about this (and wasnt an issue because theyd gone before manager came outside with me) but I have no idea if that bit of terrace outside cafe belongs to cafe or not. But the manager was willing to come and speak to them.

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:54:20

monniemae - will tell friend this thank you. Don't want to complain without her say so anyway just focused on getting calm and keeing kids calm after that really.

aliceliddell Wed 15-Jun-11 13:55:37

Don't see why they should have to move - they did not choose to have camera around, they had kids and food, their reason (dv threat) was more important than a tv show. Hope all OK now, Biggestbrother

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:56:28

oh no 5foot5 just read yours (reading in wrong order) and seems it can happen! Wont be telling friend that shes freaked out enough as it is. What to do? He is a pigging thug of a man. No access to guns I would think but after that man in the news who shot his ex and 2 yr old daughter who knows?

ninedragons Wed 15-Jun-11 13:56:54

You handled it with more aplomb than I would have done - I would have given them the finger and shouted fuck off! fuck off! fuck off! when I suspected the camera was pointing in my direction.

I think complain - they weren't breaking the law but jesus christ, anyone who doesn't understand the seriousness of domestic violence deserves to be carpeted by their boss.

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:57:48

verity - wondering if that was because your dd was a child but then we had 4 DCs with us so would apply to us? Was it in UK though?

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:59:31

ninedragons - I wanted to believe me and would of if id been by myself but would not have helped friend she was shaking so much she shook her OJ all over the table. Was just trying to get them to move away and thought they would when I gave the reason (even tho I said it was me and not her - to protect her)

biggestbrother Wed 15-Jun-11 13:59:55

sorry would have

Rosa Wed 15-Jun-11 14:02:50

Write to Channel 5 and say that if any footage is released of what was taken in X place on X day at X time and you are in it then you will be seeking legal action ...

thumbwitch Wed 15-Jun-11 14:03:27

Complain to Channel 5 directly. So sad to hear of your friend's miserable time but so very glad she has got away from him and fx that he never finds her.

monniemae Wed 15-Jun-11 14:03:54

biggestbrother they weren't filming you though (nb though they can film in/from a public place, so even if the terrace belongs to the cafe, they can film it) but, they weren't filming you! they said they weren't, it would be pointless for them to film you as totally irrelevant to what they were doing, and they would have asked you to sign a consent form. you have to "consent" whether you are with a child or not. they didn't, and you explicitly expressed your refusal of consent to be in the background, please don't worry about it and reassure your friend. x
ps. yanbu for being worried given your friend's circumstances though.

diddl Wed 15-Jun-11 14:05:07

But they said that they weren´t filmimg you.

Why do you assume that they were lying?

monniemae Wed 15-Jun-11 14:05:18

pps. and yanbu to think they could have fricking moved up a bit to put you all at ease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now