Talk

Advanced search

to want Mumsnet to break occasionally?

(17 Posts)
RedGreenBlue Wed 15-Jun-11 11:10:10

Before I start, I think it's great and read/post myself regularly. But it's got to the point where I barely see my DW without the pallid blue-white glow of her phone screen in front of her face.

Case in point last night - got home from work and we both busied ourselves with sorting out DS to bed, got tea ready, tidied up, washing off the line etc. Sat down on the sofa to have tea and watch Luther. Out comes the phone, and doesn't go away for the duration.

Finish tea, wash up, put dogs to bed and lock up. I have a shower, go to bed and DW comes in, gets in and whoomph - there it is, the phone's out again, the bedroom gently lit with that familiar bluey-white glow.

DW eventually falls asleep with the phone in her hand. I gently try to prise it from her grasp. Even while asleep, her base reflexes kick in and she grasps the phone to her chest. I retreat, quietly thankful I didn't lose any fingers in the encounter.

A short while later I try again, and manage to claim the treasure. I lean over, and put her phone on my bedside table to charge for the night, ready for another day's use.

Just for one day, please can we have a server outage, or technical error, or something?

nethunsreject Wed 15-Jun-11 11:11:31

You need to get hold of it and scupper the interweb connectivity or something.

Either that or join us. smile

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 15-Jun-11 11:12:22

Its terribly addictive. We all laugh about it, but I do think its a worry. I am going to say the unsayable: I am sure a lot of rl people, including children, are getting less attention than they deserve because of Mumsnet.

nethunsreject Wed 15-Jun-11 11:14:17

Yeah, I agree with bibbity.

I now restrict myself to times when the kids are sleeping or at school (age dependent obv) and dh is out or busy. I think using a forum when in company is rather rude tbh.

Esian Wed 15-Jun-11 11:19:24

YABU expecting your DW to help with household jobs when she has more interesting things to do, like MN grin

RedGreenBlue Wed 15-Jun-11 13:17:02

Well, I got told something about pigeons getting cold the other day, but I didn't really get it.

I'll see if I can find the airplane mode - though that might mean my phone goes missing shortly afterwards...

chubbly Wed 15-Jun-11 14:07:21

Are you my DH?!! I'm afraid I too am glued to my phone. But luring me away by turning off the tv and a glass of wine usually works. smile

RedGreenBlue Wed 15-Jun-11 14:12:53

Glass of wine? I'll see how that goes. Though given that DW can eat tea one-handed while tapping away with the other, I'm not sure it will.

Perhaps two glasses of wine, one for each hand...

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 14:17:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 15-Jun-11 14:37:54

It is scary how much time I spend on here. My DH is starting to moan, whereas in the past it was always me moaning that he always had his laptop with him!

EveryonesJealousOfGingers Wed 15-Jun-11 14:54:23

DH, is that you?

Oh no, we don't have dogs grin

Perhaps you could start a support group!

RedGreenBlue Wed 15-Jun-11 18:24:16

Ah - so I could spend all evening on a support forum for affected DPs of addicted MN'ers?

Sounds a bit circular. I wonder if there are online forums dedicated to helping those addicted to online forums. Can't imagine their success rate is particularly high.

upahill Wed 15-Jun-11 18:27:14

I need DH to put something like a parental block on so I can't access it for more than 20 mins every 24 hours.

brightermornings Wed 15-Jun-11 18:31:01

I was able to get on at work. I tried to get on this afternoon it's been blocked as a time-wasting website. How will I cope I don't have a smart phone!!

bupcakesandcunting Wed 15-Jun-11 18:31:40

Could be worse. She could be boffing the milkman. wink

Mamaz0n Wed 15-Jun-11 18:36:32

I think you need to hide her phone and have a talk.

In all seriousness it would be a very different feel to this thread if it were a wife talking about her husband playing Playstation all night. It is the same thing.

It is disrespectful and will not be doing your relationship any good.

I think this is actually a bigger issue for OP than he is trying to make it seem.

RedGreenBlue Wed 15-Jun-11 23:39:18

Good news: her phone ran out of juice this evening.

Bad news: mine suddenly disappeared...

It's not really that much of an issue - this evening I took the phone back and we had a chat about it (and showed her this thread), it's all good - just sometimes I think it's a bit easy to get too engrossed. I'm guilty of it sometimes, as it would seem other repliers are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now