Talk

Advanced search

In thinking it must be some kind of conspiracy that buggies only come in hideous colours?

(29 Posts)
RunAndBeMum Tue 14-Jun-11 22:26:47

I need a new buggy. I bought a second hand one on eBay but it was rubbish so I'm biting the bullet and getting a new Maclaren Triumph.

I was all excited because we hardly ever buy anything new but it turns out the buggy only comes in a really boring design and uninspiring colours. I've narrowed my choice down to racing green or crown blue but really can't decide between them as frankly neither of them are particularly exciting.

I'm exhausted and overweight, I never have time to blow dry my hair properly and make-up is a distant memory so surely it's not too much to ask to be able to buy a buggy in a pleasing hue?

And yes, before you start offering me biscuits, I do have many more important things to worry about but I'm trying to distract myself with shopping...

SarfEasticated Tue 14-Jun-11 22:34:09

mamas and papas have nice colours.... <shallow>
www.mamasandpapas.com/range/lightweight-buggystroller/5850/

stressheaderic Tue 14-Jun-11 22:39:41

The Triumph is pretty dull colour-wise.
I've got a red spotty Quest and it cheers me up no end.

TheCountessOlenska Tue 14-Jun-11 22:45:57

I always go for red and black for prams, pushchairs, carseats. There is never much choice and at least red is cheerful and warns off predators!

nailak Tue 14-Jun-11 22:47:23

^^
but not bulls

HidinginaHardHat Tue 14-Jun-11 22:47:39

I hate black pushchairs, especially in the summer where baby looks like its sat in its own little furnace. I hate green ones more though, and pink, those pink and brown things are horrible. Oh and orange. Oh and anything bugaboo or stokke make their colour ranges are vile.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 14-Jun-11 22:49:31

What's the matter with the Majesty purple?

Precisely what colours would you like?

this is jazzier

TheCountessOlenska Tue 14-Jun-11 22:49:53

Oh damn nailak! (frets about pfb being gored by bull)

DuchessofKirkcaldy Tue 14-Jun-11 22:50:44

Hahaha, Nothing to add except that I read the title wongly and thought it said that budgies were horrible colours! I was all geared up to defend them!

worraliberty Tue 14-Jun-11 22:53:22

I saw the most god awful buggy today.

It was basically made out of the England flag and had St George's crosses all over it. Even the bit that hangs down at the back was a flag.

The 'Geeza' pushing it looked like he would have been better suited to walking a dangerous dog hmm

Yes I judged grin

worraliberty Tue 14-Jun-11 22:54:33

Not that there's anything wrong with the England flag...I just think it looked totally cheap in buggy form blush

OnlyWantsOne Tue 14-Jun-11 22:56:08

<tries to not let hardhat see my bugaboo>

Yes black push chairs, horrid - track are selling some nasty cheap looking (but about £90) colourful things ATM confused

Omigawd Tue 14-Jun-11 23:09:16

It's the hideous sizes they come in these days...... I propose they have to go in bicycle lanes!

HidinginaHardHat Tue 14-Jun-11 23:10:35

omigawd i agree, i don't get why they have to be so bloody big!

PotPourri Tue 14-Jun-11 23:16:13

Dont get black. Admittedly they are gorgeous when new, but before you know it they have faded to a manky brown. I agree Quests are more interesting, and they do special editions.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Tue 14-Jun-11 23:16:22

Hmm - I am now wondering whether my new turquoise and lime green holiday buggy is a hideous colour? Oh well, if it is, hopefully it will be sunny and I'll be wearing shades!

blackeyedsusan Tue 14-Jun-11 23:18:00

we went for something lightweight for a newborn, and had a choice of plain dark grey or dark/lightgrey

still get pushchair envy now...

RunAndBeMum Tue 14-Jun-11 23:27:10

Sarf- Yes, the M&P ones are nice -I quite like the woodland one- but the reviews put me off.

Stressheaderic- on a budget so quest a bit too much- agree it has slightly better options and the red spotty one is nice but I still think that the leading brand of buggy should be able to do better than this.

My children are heavy (too many chocolate biscuits coming through in my milk, I think) and lesser buggies can't cope with the high mileage we do. DS1 destroyed two buggies (a mothercare one and a Koochi one) so I decided on Maclaren for DS2 as at least you get a lifetime guarantee.

Has to be something my dh will be seen with so not purple as apparently tis the colour goths wear in the summer wtf?

Hardhat- agree black buggy=furnace

Last buggy was red so fancied a change. Hadn't thought of the issue with bulls though <relieved old buggy is at tip so safe from charging cattle for now>

Nutella- yes, see what I mean, hideous that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for if only I could afford it.

Worraliberty- sounds very, um, patriotic...

Anyway, I've cracked it, I want a budgy-coloured buggy

LDNmummy Tue 14-Jun-11 23:39:58

I would go for the green but green is my fave colour.

DH and I couldn't decide on what colour to get when buying our Bee. In the end we went for black as all the other colours seemed either too dull (khaki) or too garish and overly bright (pretty much everything else).

RunAndBeMum Tue 14-Jun-11 23:41:10

What about this?

Perfect if you're of Liverpudlian heritage...

Wouldn't flatter my son's colouring, otherwise I'd go for it

buttonmoon78 Tue 14-Jun-11 23:43:01

I have a black loola which I love and a khaki/lime green ziko from M&P (nicer than it sounds).

I loathe and detest Maclarens.

5DollarShake Wed 15-Jun-11 03:36:27

I have a lime green P&T double - I don't know what came over me when buying it to be honest, I wish I'd got black.

PotPourri Wed 15-Jun-11 11:42:34

If your children are more 'substantial' and you do alot of miles, then I would really reccomend going up a level to the XT or even the XLR. They are a bit bigger and definately more sturdy. And their wheels are a bit bigger and last better.

I have had a few (erm more than 10, less than 20) buggies in my time, and love the triumph and quest for how small they fold. But they really do fall to bit when used abused

superjobeespecs Wed 15-Jun-11 11:50:56

maybe an obaby? they're bright and cheery smile obaby strollers

Insomnia11 Wed 15-Jun-11 11:58:44

You can get them in bright colours...but with the Maclaren Quest it was about twice as much (or more) for those "designer" ones and £90 or so for our black one, I'm glad I went for the black now anyway as it doesn't show the dirt as it looks quite plain and stylish.

As for durability - we had our first Quest for DD2 at a few months old and it lasted more than 3 years but then DD2 finally did it in, it all got a bit bowed and wasn't running well so we got a new one. DD1 still sits in occasionally and she's certainly over the weight limit, imagine DD2 is approaching 15kgs now, it doesn't show much wear and tear, but as long as it lasts until she's outgrown it, which will only be a few more months, then I'll be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now