Talk

Advanced search

To ask people not to swing ds aroud

(19 Posts)
mrswhiskerson Tue 14-Jun-11 21:33:25

Ds is one year old a few friends and family
members like to swing him or do that throw (not high) and catch thing basically all sorts of twirling false dropping etc , I have asked them nicely not to do it as it could be dangerous and it freaks
me out , apparently I am being very unreasonable as babieslove it and they say they are not going to drop him , my brother even huffed me and said I was treating hIm like a kid, thing is accidents can happen and I would like to lessen the risk by not having him spun around or thrown up and caught.

EricNorthmansMistress Tue 14-Jun-11 21:59:00

What do you mean by swing? If by the arms then YANBU, they can dislocate shoulders/elbows. |But if you just mean a bit of throwing about and horseplay then YABU - they love it smile

UKSky Tue 14-Jun-11 22:31:41

YANBU to be concerned about it, but my DD absolutely loves it. Chuck her in the air or big swings with one hand under her head and the other under her bum.

I've found it's absolutely the easiest way to cheer her up if she's grumpy or crying.

Give it a go yourself - gently at first - until you get used to it. Once you feel confident you will get as much enjoyment from seeing him laugh as he does from being swung. I have never dropped DD (not even close to it).

cazzybabs Tue 14-Jun-11 22:33:30

YABU

blackeyedsusan Tue 14-Jun-11 23:23:49

it always looks worse when someone else does it....

sprinkles77 Tue 14-Jun-11 23:36:05

DS is 15 months. He loves it when I hold him by one leg and one arm and swing him round. I don't do it by both arms as worried they might dislocate. also likes it upside down with both legs, but he was sick once doing this so save it for when he hasn't eaten in hours (so never basically). He also loves pretend dropping and anything to do with water (the spray attachment on the hose aimed for a moment at his face, having water tipped over his head [he tries to do these himself]). toddlers love this stuff, try it gently at first. You'll get addicted to the unadulterated pleasure it gives them!

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 14-Jun-11 23:38:48

Children love it and as long as the adult in question is doing it properly, YABU. I wish I was small enough to be thrown around. I remember it so well, it was brilliant.

FreudianSlipper Tue 14-Jun-11 23:39:11

i often turn away when ds daddy throws him about but i know he is safe having a great time. i throw him about too he loves it especially aeroplanes

buttonmoon78 Tue 14-Jun-11 23:40:08

I don't mind (capable) people gently throwing them up in the air. But I do mind them being swung about - dd dislocated her elbow having this done to her.

BoojaBooja Tue 14-Jun-11 23:42:36

My DD is 4 and has damaged tendons because of people (family members who totally dismissed me when I told them not to) holding her hands and swinging her around when she was a baby.

The doctor was shocked that someone would do that, when I took her to be checked.

I'm still absolutely livid about it now.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 15-Jun-11 00:13:36

My DD now 6 hurt her shoulder because a fool swung her by the arms...it "fizzed" for ages....seems ok now...YANBU..he's your child.

PenguinArmy Wed 15-Jun-11 03:56:06

I don't swing DD by her hands and am gentle even when held under the shoulder, however throwing is done with rather too much abandon for DHs tastes.

However, you are the parent and even if you are being overly precious they should respect what you ask of them.

When they are older I think I would be more comfortable with other family members throwing her around but at 15 months I'm still cautious regarding some moves and trusting other people's abilities. As it is we're not around family atm so don't have to deal with this.

veritythebrave Wed 15-Jun-11 06:58:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ephiny Wed 15-Jun-11 07:49:41

YANBU, I hate seeing people doing this.

RitaMorgan Wed 15-Jun-11 07:57:39

YANBU about swinging - I wouldn't let anyone swing ds by the hands/arms for all the reasons mentioned above.

YABabitU about throwing him though.

iscream Wed 15-Jun-11 08:38:20

My brothers friend's wife had repeatedly asked him (her husband) not to do this. He would toss and catch their baby, baby loving it, laughing, until the baby hit the floor and died. They divorced over it.

Omigawd Wed 15-Jun-11 08:44:56

The kids love it, but at 15 mo I'd prob keep it to DH and immediate family who have kids already

FionaFriend Wed 15-Jun-11 09:00:07

It would have freaked me out too. Doing it against your express wishes is bizarre behaviour. YANBU.

alibubbles Wed 15-Jun-11 09:11:59

iscream that's very sad sad One of my minded children popped an elbow being swung between parents, it is easily done and it happens lot until the ligaments firm up. Poor child was misdiagnosed with a broken arm and ended up unnecessarily in plaster for 6 weeks, it was still floppy when they took the cast off, then the hospital popped it back, off she crawled!

I never let anyone do it in my presence and warn parents about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now