Talk

Advanced search

Is this unreasonable

(5 Posts)
coke80 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:11:22

Ds has just started a dance class. Will have only done 1/2 a term. Was under the impression it was a just for fun type class. (not ballet or tap where you expect exams etc)
Just been told that an examiner would be coming at the end of term and we must all pay £16.00. If all people don't pay they won't be able to come.
Is this unreasonable. Feels like blackmail to me.

ashamedandconfused Tue 14-Jun-11 14:15:41

If you did not sign up for exams , then say no

DDs music lessons and exams are private and of course we pay for them

BUT i would not feel happy about being told I was expected to pay so everyone else could be examined If I did not want my child to be examined one term

ZillionChocolate Tue 14-Jun-11 14:19:51

I think calling it blackmail is over the top. If you didn't want your child to attend a class where there are exams then it would have been wise to ask at the outset. If you have a fundamental objection to your child doing an exam then you should decline and consider swapping to a different type of class.

Bluemoonrising Tue 14-Jun-11 14:20:51

Is the £16 just to pay for the examiner? Thats not unreasonable.

Can she continue to attend classes apart from the exam without paying?

coke80 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:35:39

But that the point Zillion. We were not told at the outset that exams would be relevant. Ds in 5 and doing streetdance. Most of it is for the examiner. A small amount is for us to watch!
I just don't feel that there is much point in him doing an exam at this stage. However, I feel that if I say no it will mean other students can't do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now