Talk

Advanced search

£15 for half an hour!!

(98 Posts)
knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 12:43:08

Seriously? is that normal for guitar lessons for a 5 year old???

anyone here in the south East who can play guitar and would like to teach my son for less that that please?

urgh. why is everyhting so expensive??

Reality Tue 14-Jun-11 12:44:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reality Tue 14-Jun-11 12:44:58

Yep, sounds about right. DS's school did guitar lessons...it was £15 for 10 minutes! We are in the South East too!!

Likeaninjanow Tue 14-Jun-11 12:47:34

I phoned a few music teachers to ask about lessons for DS1 (6), and they all said they don't take children under 8. They said what will take 3 months to teach a 5 year old, they can teach an 8 year old in a few weeks, so it would be a waste of our money.

reallytired Tue 14-Jun-11 12:47:42

We pay £12 for twenty minutes. I would be surprised if a five year old can concentrate for half an hour. I would have thought that twenty minutes was enough at that age.

valiumredhead Tue 14-Jun-11 12:48:00

Yes, sounds about right! You try finding a piano teacher you can afford!

DoTheChickensHaveLargeTalons Tue 14-Jun-11 12:49:45

DSS has lessons with a sixth former that is in a band for much less than that, but it's very informal. DSS loves it though, learns loads of alternative / heavy metal stuff!

knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 12:50:06

i want to cry. I cant afford all this.i cant work anymore than i already am.

Im in Berkshire, where is horsham?

Betty- i cant even think about prices like those-unless you get a contract to say as a result your child is guaranteed to be the next hendrix

meh. maybe i can find soemone who can teach guitar who i could skill swap with?

oh, wait, i have no skills.

RobF Tue 14-Jun-11 12:51:49

Guitar lessons for a 5 year old seems like a waste of money IMO. I don't even think the likes of Eric Clapton started that young.

Spuddybean Tue 14-Jun-11 12:52:43

Sounds pretty reasonable. If you think one third will be tax & ni and being self employed means you don't get sick pay/hol pay etc. They also probably don't do a solid 7 hours per day in that profession.

Are they coming to your house? if so the travel time and cost is also included.

How much do you think it should be?

knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 12:53:58

i just want him to enjoy doing it, then maybe when hes older he might get serious about it. my parents bought me a guitar when i was little but no lessons and no one to teach me, he so wants to learn keeps on at me etc.. but i cant teach him either.

would it be better not to bother? the guy i spoke to said at 5 he wouldnt suggest anything above half an hour.

stealthsquiggle Tue 14-Jun-11 12:54:13

we pay £12 (midlands) - but I upped it to £14 because he is driving a silly distance to come and teach DD(4) - and she does concentrate for 30mins - just

kittens Tue 14-Jun-11 12:54:18

See if you can arrange the lessons through school. The council usually have a music service who provide lessons for children at school (during school hours). They usually work out much cheaper.

BrianBadonde Tue 14-Jun-11 12:54:35

5 is too young. My brother teaches guitar and wouldn't teach a child under 9. I used to have lessons at school but that was in juniors.

Reality Tue 14-Jun-11 12:55:46

nicespam Tue 14-Jun-11 12:55:56

we all learned strumming at primary school when we were about 7 it definitely wasn't too early, why would it be??

EmsieRo Tue 14-Jun-11 12:57:13

stealthsquiggle Tue 14-Jun-11 12:57:42

BrianB - that's your brother's choice, clearly, and I can see his point - but DD has a little guitar and was determined to learn so we said (having found a willing teacher) that we would try and see how it went (with a view to backing off for a year if she wasn't getting anywhere). She loves her lessons, practices because we tell her that she can choose, but she only gets lessons if she does practice, and she is definitely progressing.

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:57:45

it's about right.

I learned to play the guitar in guitar club at junior school.
Such a shame kids don't get that kind of break these days. sad

knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 12:57:45

i dont know if they come to me, but the guy lives down the road from me so theres no real travel included. 15 quids ok, but not for HALF an hour. an hour yes ok.

He also works for a well known music shop so i think he does an awful lot of lessons

maybe my sons just at that age where he has all these intrests but hes too little to develop them.

GetOrf Tue 14-Jun-11 12:57:52

5 is too young. DD started when she was 10, had some lessons and then downloaded thingies from the internet and tauight herself.

£15 is cheap I think. But if you can't afford it, don't beat yourself up fgs, it is hardly a necessity.

knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 13:00:27

i also had guitar lessons at primary school for a little while. but my parents gave me my dads guitar too use and i was too little to reach. once they got me my own guitar the teacher had died ( sorry to be morbid).

I just thought it would be less that £30 an hours, thats just a rip off.

stealthsquiggle Tue 14-Jun-11 13:00:42

to your point, Reality - I agree that starting young doesn't mean they progress any further/faster, but it doesn't neccesarily put them off - DB2 started violin at 3 (with a friend, who also happened to be teacher's grandson)

OP - as others have said - can you find anyone to share classes with, or a group class DS could join? either would probably be a cheaper option

knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 13:01:50

the guys going to call me this evening to discuss, i might see if he will do a free trial lesson and see how little one likes it. then maybe a trial month and take it from there. had better revise the monthly budget, again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now