Talk

Advanced search

To think Jack Wills clothing should only be worn by those under 30?

(42 Posts)
MissMap Tue 14-Jun-11 11:57:42

Or at what age should one consider oneself too old to wear it?

LadyThumb Tue 14-Jun-11 11:59:00

Obviously I'm too old as I've never heard of Jack Wills clothing!!!

YANBU.

IWantAnotherBaby Tue 14-Jun-11 12:00:54

Under 30?!!
Under 20, more like! It's teen fashion.

Bonsoir Tue 14-Jun-11 12:01:50

I'm 44 and wore a pair of tweed Jack Wills shorts (with tights and thigh-high boots) this winter smile

oohlaalaa Tue 14-Jun-11 12:02:32

I've been into a Jack Wills shop. Not bought anything. Everything was so overpriced. I think you need to be young and image obsessed, to pay so much for very ordinary clothes.

I do buy Crew and White Stuff, same quality, but not as pricey. I'm 29.

Pagwatch Tue 14-Jun-11 12:02:58

Yabu
Anyone older than a teenager looks a bit twatty tbh

Pagwatch Tue 14-Jun-11 12:04:08

Ds1 sneered as we walked past on Saturday. He is nearly 18.

JohnniesBitch Tue 14-Jun-11 12:05:36

a teenagers shop for sure. ds1 is almost 14 and into JW. Luckily they don;t have much choice online and we are nowhere near a shop, oh and also lucky his dad (my x ) buys it for him!

FlamingFannyDrawers Tue 14-Jun-11 12:05:57

I've never heard of Jack Wills so must be too old (33)

knittedbreast Tue 14-Jun-11 12:07:52

it looks shite. no one should wear it at all. the company keeps sending catalogs too my house

ShatnersBassoon Tue 14-Jun-11 12:08:04

YANBU. Jack Wills, Hollister and Superdry are for young people.

TattyDevine Tue 14-Jun-11 12:08:32

It used to have a lot of good sporty basics but it has changed so much in recent years - it looks like its selling clothes for people who want to try and look like they go to public school but don't.

Obviously there will be the odd bit here or there that is acceptable on its own, of course, but some of it is really, really silly looking these days.

There are some perfectly acceptable jackets and then there are some striped monstrosities. And this is a silly skirt.

LadySybilPussPolham Tue 14-Jun-11 12:11:34

There's a branch opening soon in our town. DH wants a hoody. He's 41 blush
I'm sure seeing clothing worn by people old enough to be their parents would be the kiss of death for most teens! My mum really likes FatFace - she looks great but it does make me think twice about shopping there

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 14-Jun-11 12:12:57

I think perhaps the teens are losing interest in it now. Mine certainly are and I'm not sorry!

KatieWatie Tue 14-Jun-11 12:23:27

"it looks like its selling clothes for people who want to try and look like they go to public school but don't" - this is so true

That's what the teens want though isn't it, and I must admit to being a teen at heart despite being in my 30s. I'd buy it if the price was reasonable (which it's not) but I'd not buy stuff that had JACK WILLS splashed across it, that's just awful. I'm also a big Fat Face fan and have never bought anything from Next, so maybe it's time I just grew up generally!

dexter73 Tue 14-Jun-11 12:27:59

Twatty on the over 20's. My dd is growing out of wanting to wear their stuff and she is 14!

Lovecat Tue 14-Jun-11 12:28:56

My sister asked me a few years back if I thought she was too old for Jack Wills at 38 (she'd seen a top in there she really liked) - I had no idea who/what Jack Wills was <labelly-challenged> and went into her local branch with her to assess said top. It was fine, just a vest thing, no logo, I'm not sure why she thought it was too young for her... however! The leather sofas artfully surrounded by ancient looking leather trunks, copies of H&H on the coffee table, full of blonde sloaney ponies waiting for their kids to come bleating out of the changing rooms.... omg, it was an eye opener!

The only other person I know who wears Jack Wills is a 25 yr old ex-public schoolboy who is basically Tim Nice-but-Dim. Which would be enough to put me off it...

(I'm 44 and I love fatface!)

dexter73 Tue 14-Jun-11 12:29:47

Actually my dd and her friends always laugh at the mums/dads dressed in JW as they are 'gay'.

chopchopbusybusy Tue 14-Jun-11 12:37:34

I had my first experience of jack wills recently with DD2. They are having a laugh aren't they. £14.50 for a pair of pants.
DD2 is on the waiting list - yes, that's right a waiting list - for the on line outlet store.
There was one boy in the shop when we were in who was head to toe in jack wills and TBH he looked like he was in some kind of preppy fancy dress.

Chen23 Tue 14-Jun-11 12:47:18

Jack Wills is marketed towards Students, Aubin and Wills is marketed towards 25 to 35 year olds.

Both are trying (and failing imo) to try emulate a preppy Ralph Lauren / Gant type look.

Crap quality too.

LaWeasel Tue 14-Jun-11 12:50:57

The only thing I have bought from there is a £15 pair of pants, as a joke for a friend.

I'm 24, and loads of my ex-public school friends still wear JW, I don't know if it has stopped being fashionable in public school because it is more popular everywhere yet.

RobF Tue 14-Jun-11 12:52:49

Anyone over 30 should have the sense not to buy their overpriced tat.

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 14-Jun-11 13:56:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Tue 14-Jun-11 14:14:27

I always assumed it was teens - 25 ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now