Talk

Advanced search

Right to die

(10 Posts)
labradorlady Tue 14-Jun-11 10:59:06

do you think we should be given the option and have the right to die,i watched Terry prachett lastnight and i think its your life and you shpould choose how you wanna end it

Punkatheart Tue 14-Jun-11 11:01:49

It is here (PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IT IS TRAUMATIC TO WATCH):

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0120dxp/Terry_Pratchett_Choosing_to_Die/

Very complex issue and it should be on a case by case basis. I have lymphoma and if my life became unbearable - I would hope this option would available....

pumpernickel10 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:04:38

I did not watch it so I can't comment on it,but I do open like punk said that in the future their will be more options out there and those that help you won't be prosecuted. I do think the law as to change on this,why should someone have to go to Switzerland to do this?

I didnt want to watch it but I feel very strongly about euthanasia - esp after seeing my beloved mum suffer and die from cancer.........we should def be able to chose when to end our life but of course this needs to be policed correctly etc etc.

We dont let animals suffer so why should humans!

minipie Tue 14-Jun-11 11:09:38

To me it is completely obvious that people should be given assistance to die without pain and at the time of their choosing, if they want it.

Of course there have to be appropriate safeguards against the risk of vulnerable people being pressurised into dying before they truly want to. But that small risk is not a good reason to force numerous others to live on, in pain and distress, beyond when they want to. (Or to kill themselves before when they really want to die, so as to do it "while they still can").

I haven't watched the programme.

FreudianSlipper Tue 14-Jun-11 11:10:50

yes i do

having seen someone dying from cancer, in horrendous pain, withdrawing from drugs, hallucinating, scared, losing control of their body it was horrifying. it still stays with me and my ex partner still can not come to terms with how his father was allowed to suffer in such a way (that was 8 years ago), it just so unnecessary for them for their family and it seems cruel. i have also seen someone die peacefully and it was beautifully peaceful. although you are terribly sad nothing takes away that feeling of loss knowing they have died peacefully is very comforting and makes it easier i feel to come to terms with their death

pumpernickel10 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:11:06

Exactly betty we put our beloved animals out of misery and pain but can't do it for our human loved ones.

itisnearlysummer Tue 14-Jun-11 11:12:40

I didn't see it. DH didn't want to watch.

I do think it should be up to individuals. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree, and I can understand their fears, but I think that the high profile cases we've seen on the news over recent years, including the lady (I'm sorry I can't remember her name) who has been to court over it to ensure her husband can help her when the time comes without being prosecuted show that the debate needs to be undertaken seriously and with compassion.

pumpernickel10 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:13:46

I watched my mom in awful pain too slipper and there was nothing we could do,she stayed in palliative care for 3 weeks before she died in so much pain,it was cruel to watch,she was not being fed anymore was just on pain relief.
As sad I as I was when she died I also felt relief for her that she no longer had to put up with this.

tulpe Tue 14-Jun-11 11:21:15

It is such a complex issue but clearly both the Swiss and, to an extent, the Dutch have grappled with it and found a solution.

We had to stand by and watch my beautiful MIL suffer with pancreatic cancer. A truly awful & prolonged death. She was living in France and the family GP "did what he could" - there was an unspoken agreement that he had permission to "assist her" in those final hours. He was a good and compassionate doctor and I truly hope that I would be afforded the same should it happen to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now