Talk

Advanced search

To think YOU should YOUR pg wife YOUR seat?

(21 Posts)
MammyT Tue 14-Jun-11 08:50:50

Tube this morning.. Man tries to reserve the last two remaining seats so I ignore him and take one.

He then complains aggressively that the other is for his pg wife and asks me to give it up. I do, as pg women need a seat, no question.

Then I stand there thinking I'm a complete mug. AIBU to think he should have given up his OWN seat?
(they were Eastern European so may not have the same implicit rules on public transport).

Firawla Tue 14-Jun-11 08:51:44

yanbu of course he should have given his own, he seems rude

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 14-Jun-11 08:53:04

Yes of course he should have given up his seat for his wife. Cheeky!

squeakytoy Tue 14-Jun-11 08:53:37

You were being a mug. I would have stayed sat where I was and told him he should stand up and let his wife sit down.

Morloth Tue 14-Jun-11 08:56:19

Yup, you are a mug.

Bucharest Tue 14-Jun-11 08:56:19

Of course he should!

YANBU.

nickschick Tue 14-Jun-11 08:56:54

Id have said 'im pregnant too' and rubbed my belly affectionately (im not but deliberately stay plump in an effort to make such an excuse more plausable grinwink).

SarahBumBarer Tue 14-Jun-11 08:57:55

Oh dear - really big mug - I'd check the mirror to see if it is actually written on your head!

YANBU

nickschick Tue 14-Jun-11 08:59:08

it will read 'GUM' if your looking in the mirror though grin.

MollysChamber Tue 14-Jun-11 09:04:10

Ugh he sounds awful.

No you shouldn't have given up your seat but hard not to when an angry man is having a go at you.

He's a bully. Poor baby.

MammyT Tue 14-Jun-11 09:26:45

Ha ha @ GUM

sigh I am the mug I thought I was.

Hammy02 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:28:27

Poor wife. I bet he's a selfish shit in all other aspects too.

TidyDancer Tue 14-Jun-11 09:47:39

He should've used his own arse to reserve a seat for his wife, not used his attitude to reserve yours for her.

Dick.

YANBU.

animula Tue 14-Jun-11 09:52:06

Molly'sChamber has it. Someone who bullies women, randomly, out in public is not going to be the partner of most women's dreams.

Poor you. Hope the rest of your day goes better.

Hideous, though. I'm guessing she'd have been left standing if you hadn't given up your seat. What a horrible man.

mollymole Tue 14-Jun-11 09:54:28

what a horrible man - of course he should have given up his seat for his wife -
or any other person who needed it more than him

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 14-Jun-11 09:55:20

YANBU. What a tosser. Unless he was pregnant smile or disabled then of course he should have given her his own seat. Can understand why you did it though; I'd probably be so taken aback I'd do the same, then think better of it after the fact. Esprit d'escalier, innit?

MollysChamber Tue 14-Jun-11 09:57:25

Actually you were on a loser either way.

You gave up your seat and felt like a mug.

If you hadn't he would have intimidated and harassed you and you'd be upset about that.

tigermummy35 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:59:24

In Poland and Czech Republic all the men leap from their seats when women (old or young, pg or not) get on the trams, so I don't think he was very fair was he. I'd always give up my seat for a PG woman but come on, the husband should have on this occasion. YANBU!

When I was a London commuter, I kept my head down all the time and only glanced at people's middles, so could see if a PG woman needed a seat, lol

Ormirian Tue 14-Jun-11 10:00:52

I don't think you were a mug. You did the right thing and showed him up to be a vile twat. Pity his poor wife.

onclefestere Tue 14-Jun-11 10:02:54

you aren't a mug, you're a nice person grin. He isn't nice.

PrettyCandles Tue 14-Jun-11 10:06:44

I try to see the good in people (just call me Pollyanna) - perhaps he had some physical problem that made it just as difficult fir him to stand as for his wife.

But if so, then he should have explained politely why he could not stand.

But then, maybe the aggressive machismo that had him protecting his dw, also prevented him from showing himself up as weak and incapable.

Or maybe he was just a twat and you were a too-nice mug wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: