Talk

Advanced search

to think BBC bite size is an overlay-used lazy old cop out

(8 Posts)
mumalot Mon 13-Jun-11 23:38:38

yes I know there's some good stuff on there but if I hear another teacher recommend it I think I will scream. Whatever happened to reading your notes and text books, making your own revision notes and then learning them off by hear?

Seriously. Clicking on a few questions that skim the surface of a topic is NOT revision and we seem to be raising a generation that think thirty minutes on the laptop is working really bloody hard. And I wish the teachers would stop telling them that BBC bite size counts as revision when in fact it's no more than a quick whizz through the basics.

mumalot Mon 13-Jun-11 23:39:54

Damn predictive text. I meant overly used of course!

Mousey84 Mon 13-Jun-11 23:46:20

I would say it should be used as part of a range of tools. My dd is 8 and chooses to go onto ks1 and 2 levels during her computer time, and I'm ok with that.

freerangeeggs Mon 13-Jun-11 23:49:00

I don't know, it's got some nice little revision tools - the mind map feature is useful, IMO. I know most of my kids do the bare minimum of studying anyway so I'd rather they did this than nothing at all.

It does 'skim the surface' so it's not great for the high-achieving kids, but I think a combination of different revision methods can help to keep the less able kids engaged.

I like it but I think SparkNotes is better... and I have my own revision website, which of course is pick of the bunch :P

Gooseberrybushes Mon 13-Jun-11 23:50:37

Yes I agree but it's SOOO useful for getting them started. It's great for finding out the areas they need to revise the most. And also I used it for making my "I don't know anything what's the point" child to realise that he did actually know quite a bit (because it's so easy) and there was indeed a point.

But yes you are right of course.

mumalot Tue 14-Jun-11 00:10:06

In case I seem like a complete witch I don't object to it for KS 1 & 2 when of course anything that makes learning a bit of fun is brilliant.

I was thinking of KS3 and beyond when really DC's should not be deluded into thinking scoring 8 out of 10 on a quiz means you have revised Chemistry!!

And I just want the teachers to stop telling all the kids that it is what is meant by revision. I think it's a bit of a cop out on their part TBH.

somethingwitty82 Tue 14-Jun-11 00:20:44

Sounds like teaching to the test me thinks, BBC BS is a close representation of the knowledge they tend to be tested on, and education is nothing is not endless tests and league tables!

Good for you for pushing for understandingsmile

Mumwithadragontattoo Tue 14-Jun-11 00:49:47

I used GCSE bite size when studying GCSE Spanish as an adult. It wasn't the sum total of my revision by any means but I did find it extremely useful and it gets you used to the way the exam questions are phrased. I got an A* [boast]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: