Talk

Advanced search

Nursing school with three young-ish DCs?

(10 Posts)
Penrithtoffee Mon 13-Jun-11 21:42:09

Would this be completely mental? Has anyone actually done this? I have a useless an underutilised arts degree and feel like being SAHM for 10 years has given me some perspective on what I really want to do. My husband is somewhat supportive, even though it means sacrificing extras like holidays, home-improvements etc.
I'm 36. My children are 10, 6 and 4. All would be in school with wrap-around care.
Delusional? Selfish?
Tough love welcome.

Northernlurker Mon 13-Jun-11 21:45:33

What about nights when you're qualified? Also most nursing jobs require weekend and bank holiday working. If you and dh are both cool with that then go for it but don't go for it without a clear plan for how you will actually work as a nurse or you could be wasting three years.

mememummy Mon 13-Jun-11 21:49:46

i got preggers on my nursing course, had a year back and then qualified when she was two i work in A&e i love it i work three long days or three nights per week which fits around nursery etc as DH drops DD off to nursery i go to bed, i fetch DD give her her dinner bath bed and go to work its easy n the moneys good i say do it !

boysrock Mon 13-Jun-11 21:51:14

There is a lot of work involved in the course. I'm qualified and have 3 dc 2,5 and 7 and in my madness decided to do a post grad course. It was nearly the death of me.

The other aspect of it is the shift times and childcare. usually 7am(ish) start till 3 or lates can be 1ish til 9(ish) as a student you would be expected to cover these shifts. Then theres nights, although they are easier to cover and not everywhere would expect students to work nights.

So if you think you can cope with those two then you should be fine.

mememummy Mon 13-Jun-11 21:53:46

ther is a lot of work i forgot to mention that bit but as long as u have support u will be fine

clemetteattlee Mon 13-Jun-11 21:57:50

Have you considered Graduate Entry Nursing - shorter degree, better bursary?
I am doing Graduate Entry Medicine with two little ones (6 and 3). Sometimes I think the shift working is better than 9-5, but studying on top is a bit knackering.
If you want it though you can definitely do it!

Sassybeast Mon 13-Jun-11 22:00:18

Not delusional as you've already talked about some of the sacrifices you may have to make. You've already studied at degree level so should be somewhere prepared for the level of academic study required (nursing is moving towards degree level entry)
Some more of the practicalities - shift times when on placement - some can start as early as 7.30am and finish as late as 10pm. Distance that you may have to travel for placements, particularly for community, psychiatric, learning difficulties. Cover if the children are sick and you have to be on placement that day. Time and space to study at home.
Looking ahead to being qualified, there are quite a few clinical areas which work roughly within 9-5 hours - outpatients, day surgery, practice nursing, school nursing, occupational health. I know quite a few people in both NHS and private posts who have more flexible shift patterns and to be honest, with small children, sometimes night shifts can suit you better.
Good luck with it all smile

keepingupwiththejoneses Mon 13-Jun-11 23:28:23

It is possible. My friend is just going into her second year and has 4 dc 13, 11, 4 and 2. She has a lot of support though.

Kallista Mon 13-Jun-11 23:32:02

I did the 3yr adult nursing adv dip with full bursary - i recommend doing a course where you get a bursary - less debt at the end.
Also get agency HCA work - extra money + good experience for your CV.
Lots of my classmates had children - they were very organised with their studies though.
Also many placements aren't that flexible with shifts as they like students to experience 'the realities of the ward'.
2 things - i don't know what experience you have but nursing is very emotionally, physically and intellectually demanding. (But also very interesting and rewarding!)
Secondly your relationship with DP may change - you will become more confident and independent etc - he may resent that.
When qualified your dc will benefit as you can work part time hours on a good salary.

Penrithtoffee Tue 14-Jun-11 01:39:47

Thanks, All. Great information; lots to mull over smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: