Talk

Advanced search

discuss this news story i am interested in your views.............

(42 Posts)
hellospoon Mon 13-Jun-11 21:32:37

this

AgentZigzag Mon 13-Jun-11 21:37:15

I think you should have put some information about the story in your OP, I didn't really want to read that.

My fault for clicking the link not knowing.

(It's about a midwife burning a babys foot)

worraliberty Mon 13-Jun-11 21:38:37

FFS some people really need to learn some manners.

The title is like being back at school

bluebobbin Mon 13-Jun-11 21:39:28

The staff member should have checked the temperature of the water before putting the baby's foot in it.

That's all there is to it.

WhoAteMySnickers Mon 13-Jun-11 21:41:21

What bluebobbin said. Nothing really to discuss.

Are you the fuckwit midwife in the article?

Loonytoonie Mon 13-Jun-11 21:41:33

Agreed.
Bit of warning please OP.
Views? Blatant cock-up on the Midwife's part, poor communication, hideous for the baby. Poor, poor baby. What the Sun hopes to achieve by sensationalising it......?

firsttimemum77 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:42:02

Poor baby! Hope she will be okay.
I think they both have to take some blame. Mum should have asked what the water was for, although the midwife proportionally more. The Midwife should have 1) specified she needed tepid / warm water 2) specified what for and 3) checked the temperature.

When my DD had a heel prick test (3 times) not once was water used.

animula Mon 13-Jun-11 21:42:22

I'm sorry but my first response was that of worraliberty. Are you aware you have used the imperative? It does come make you come across slightly like Queenie in "Blackadder".

Thank you for the precis, AgentZigzag.

I'm afraid that I'm done for unpleasant news today, so shan't be clicking.

Is this something that touches you personally, Hellospoon?

GreenEyesandHam Mon 13-Jun-11 21:42:28

No.

You're not the boss of me

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jun-11 21:42:37

i think the mum was a little bit silly not to realise that they were going to do something with the water and the baby, and that warm water means warm, not burning hot

however, that aside, the fact of the matter is that they should have checked before dipping the foot in. I am sure they get so used to doing it and it's always ok that it's possible to forget,... but it's one of those things that you just must not forget isn't it?

OpusProSerenus Mon 13-Jun-11 21:43:26

Terrible thing to happen. Midwife should have checked temperature before use, that seems like common sense to me. However I'm always very suspicious of the motives of people going to the papers other than as a last resort. I'm also rather surprised the mother didn't ask more about how hot should water be, etc and just allowed them to proceed - I don't think I allowed anyone to even breathe near my 2 without a full explanation. She's not a terribly young mum either so you would expect her to be more assertive, etc

Poor baby

hellospoon Mon 13-Jun-11 21:44:17

Apologies for the lack of information. Forgot some members on here need spoon feeding....

firsttimemum Those were my thoughts exactly.

AgentZigzag Mon 13-Jun-11 21:45:11

grin greeneyes, reminds me of father damon in father ted.

sunshinenanny Mon 13-Jun-11 21:48:53

very distressing but I don't know what there is to discuss. Why didn't the grandmother give the nurse the right temperature water or better still the nurses get it themselves. it seems obvious to this nanny that you check the temperature before using water on a new baby. wouldn't have followed link if I'd realised where it was going.

PinotGrigiosKittens Mon 13-Jun-11 21:49:10

grin greeneyes that was ver good!

TheArmadillo Mon 13-Jun-11 21:50:30

what is it about posters starting threads with no manners ordering everyone else about?

Discuss this

and on another 'only one post each'

seriously do they not understand how rude it is?

And secondly would be nice to be a) what the story was about and b) the OPs opnion

Tortington Mon 13-Jun-11 21:52:23

fuckin ell, you lot dont half moan

Loonytoonie Mon 13-Jun-11 22:14:03

Forgot some members on here need spoon feeding....
Not that, just a bit of warning, that's all. smile

AgentZigzag Mon 13-Jun-11 22:19:20

'Forgot some members on here need spoon feeding....'

Spoon feeding? What, like warning posters they might read a distressing story about a baby, like what happened to the skin when the foot was taken out of the water?

Fucking hmm

Some posters have had 'accidents' happen to their baby and might not appreciate the extra image that story conjured up.

hellospoon Mon 13-Jun-11 22:20:54

Ok ok my bad for not giving you the info first. Was browsing for my daily trash intake and came across it.

My opinion: the midwives would of asked the mother for some water (warm probably) and the mother gave them boiling. Surely she knew it was for the baby? On the other side of the coin why wouldn't you check the water before putting a babies foot in it? Common sense on both sides failed. Miserably.

I also am rather hmm about people who sell their stories to these papers. It achieves nothing. Unless her thinking was she could pay to go private to ensure the best care for the baby?

DuelingFanjo Mon 13-Jun-11 22:21:42

thanks for the heads up AgentZigzag.

bluebobbin Mon 13-Jun-11 22:34:29

The mother could have thought that the boiling water was to sterilise something. But regardless, it is not the mother's job to police the actions of a midwife so the mother takes 0% blame IMO. Midwife should have checked temp.

squeakytoy Mon 13-Jun-11 22:35:22

I think there is fault on both sides, but mainly the midwife. The grandmother shouldnt have brought scalding hot water (and it is worrying if that came out of the tap, as the thermostat needs lowering), and the midwife should have checked the water before putting the childs foot in it.

Reality Mon 13-Jun-11 22:36:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manticlimactic Mon 13-Jun-11 22:39:13

What Squeaky said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now