Talk

Advanced search

To be really, really irritated by this leaflet from the School Food Trust...

(63 Posts)
SuseB Mon 13-Jun-11 20:57:35

DD came home on Friday with a 'Little Book of Goodness' from the School Food Trust. Is basically an advert for school dinners (DD has packed lunches). Wouldn't have minded but there was actually a page that said Packed Lunches - big red cross, School Dinners - big green tick. Cites a load of research about the fat, salt and sugar packed lunches contain, waxes lyrical about how packed lunches don't contain vegetables.

AIBU to be irritated? Seems unhelpful to make all packed lunches seem undesirable - kids have them for all sorts of reasons (in our house - cost, control of contents and child's preference). I am of course aware that the producers of the leaflet have not had the benefit of seeing my DDs carefully chosen, lovingly prepared and nutritionally balanced lunches smile

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:00:22

I have to admit most packed lunches I've seen over the years do contain crap!!

Cheese strings
Fruit winders
Chewee bars
Frubes

Always on offer in the supermarket

mossip Mon 13-Jun-11 21:02:47

But so do school dinners - a typical primary school week here is fishfingers and chips, followed by muffin. Pizza. Ham roll and tomato soup. Sausages and chips. Whereas wholemeal sandwich with fruit and yoghurt - far healthier imv.

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:05:54

I'd be pissed off by it too.
On the whole, the packed lunches of my DS1 and his friends are good.

He gets a sandwich on wholemeal bread/pasta/wrap, a carton of orange juice, a portion of veg (little pot of peppers, cherry toms, cukes, carrots), a piece of fruit, a portion of dairy and a little treat (packet of pom bears/penguin/small cak)

Three of his 5 a day, a portion of dairy, a portion of lean protein (in sandwich/wrap etc).

It is not hard and it is not expensive and it beats the school dinners hands down which always always always have pudding with custard and some crappy refined carb option.

They do it at his school too although they don't put an x by the packed lunches. I just don't understand why they try to sell them. Surely a healthy lunch, packed or otherwise is what they should be after.

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:06:49

small cake not small cak

grin

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:09:31

Anyway, cheese strings aren't that bad.
They contain a lot of salt, but so does all hard cheese.
A chunk of cheddar would be no different.
Fruit winders and chewee bars; well maybe as a small treat if the rest of the lunch is healthy.

Frubes? Nothing wrong with one of them for pudding with a bit of fruit versus chocolate cake and custard, or jam tart and OJ which is what the schools often serve.

SuePurblybilt Mon 13-Jun-11 21:09:56

That's really leading them in one direction isn't it? I wouldn't be too pleased either. And bollocks to packed lunch containing no veg - my DD takes cous cous salad, carrot sticks, all sorts.

She has school dinners at the moment because she wanted to try them and will regularly get dry white pasta, bread, peas and another pasta as the vegetarian option. A couple of the set veggie meals contain next to no protein - the vegetable stir fry is pasta twirls with ribbons of courgette and carrot, I counted five tiny strips in a portion grin. Then she'd be given the option of two extra starches - the bread and more dry pasta - to go with it.

Clearly much better than a packed lunch confused

eandemum Mon 13-Jun-11 21:13:04

What is wrong with Frubes - isn't it yogurt in a tube??

cwtch4967 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:14:02

I would be livid if DD 5 brought that home. She loves her packed lunch, today she had veg cous cous with some lean sausage followed by strawberries and a small wafer biscuit. Her choice!! She is a very good eater and likes salad, pasta etc Tomorrow it will be prawns and pasta salad.

fedupofnamechanging Mon 13-Jun-11 21:16:48

Agree that school dinners can be shit, not to mention overpriced for what they are. I would object to the school effectively advertising to the children - they shouldn't be trying to 'sell' them anything. Whether you buy school dinners or send in a packed lunch is a parental choice. They shouldn't be trying to get to the parent via the child imo. It's underhand

While on the subject, I also think they should mind their own business regarding the contents of packed lunches. It's up to the parents what they feed their DC.

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:17:24

Frubes are banned in our school!

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:18:31

Must admit, your packed lunches sound lovely!

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:19:15

I suppose the problem is the generalisation that the leaflet makes, that all packed lunches are crap.

Many will be (I've stores about a child being sent in with a large packet of kettle chips and a can of coke) but likewise, many will be just fine.

JambalayaCodfishPie Mon 13-Jun-11 21:20:05

My daughters lunchbox today - a ham salad wrap, carrot sticks and a box of raisins. OJ to drink.

The school dinner - burger, chips, OPTIONAL vegetables and chocolate sponge with custard.

Boooo to your 'Little Book Of Bullplop' smile

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:21:12

I've heard stories

Duh!

JambalayaCodfishPie Mon 13-Jun-11 21:22:02

Although, just remembered - one of my students had this 'wholesome' packed lunch at sports day last year - a family pack of bourbons and a Dr Pepper. sad

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 13-Jun-11 21:22:29

Wjilst I can understand schools banning frubes (they are hell to open and splat everywhere) they are just yoghurt or fromage frais, no less healthy than cake and custard.

I am an ingredient readerf and cheese strings if you buy the original ones without colour are no different than normal cheese.

thegruffalosma Mon 13-Jun-11 21:24:12

Frubes are no worse than most other yoghurts (Petit Filous etc) in that they're all packed with sugar. I only let the kids have natural yoghurt with mashed fruit for this reason - not so easy in a packed lunch though. DD doesn't have packed lunches yet but when she does I'll prob just stick some cheese in and no yoghurt.
<awaits mum of the year award>

midori1999 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:27:02

I find it hugely hypocritical when schools 'ban' things from packed lunches when the school dinners are so utterly crap and usually quite unhealthy too.

My son's packed lunch usually consists of a sandwich with wholemeal bread, piece of fruit, carton of pure fruit juice, veg sticks (sometimes with humous) or cherry tomatoes and either a piece of cheese, a Frube or some home made cake/flapjack. In winter he sometimes takes home made soup with bread instead of a sandwich.

I really don't see the harm in a Frube or piece of home made cake etc as part of a lunch like that and I certainly believe it's healthier than any school dinner he has had.

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:27:26

One frube (the tube, not the pouches, has 6 g of carbs). That's 24 kcal worth of carbs.

Some of that will be lactose from the dairy too!

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:27:35

Theres an MNer with a good packed lunch website she's made. Some really good pots etc are on it for transporting fruit/yogurt etc

chicletteeth Mon 13-Jun-11 21:29:32

Can you provide a link Tiffany

amberleaf Mon 13-Jun-11 21:31:15

I find it hugely hypocritical when schools 'ban' things from packed lunches when the school dinners are so utterly crap and usually quite unhealthy too.

Me too.

WowOoo Mon 13-Jun-11 21:31:25

That seems really off. Better to suggest healthy alternatives to crisps etc

Problem with our school dinners is that my son chooses. Not me.
If the veg looks manky he won't eat it.

vintageteacups Mon 13-Jun-11 21:32:40

I think that's terrible op. Food doesn't have to be hot to be healthy.

I also have never completely understood why they need hot school dinners. I know originally it was because families in the 1950s/60/70s had a hot lunch and a cold tea but today, most families cook at night and I think that once the kids get to teen years, it means that they're probably eating too many calories by having two cooked meals a day.

For me, without the packed lunch option, DS would starve! He has 'Selective Eating Disorder' so would just look at the plate and refuse it point blank! How can that be healthier than me giving him sandwiches, apple juice, cheese, fruit and a granola bar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now