Talk

Advanced search

warning *a bf thread*.... AIBU to think people go way over the top?

(104 Posts)
timewastingaway Mon 13-Jun-11 18:44:39

I've just read on another forum and i quote "if you have no intention of Bf'ing then you just shouldn't get pregnant"

AIBU to think this is a little extreme? or not?

sorry in advance to the BF/FF bunfight haters,i won't do it again..grin

Paschaelina Mon 13-Jun-11 18:45:49

Thats what you get for reading other forums.

Shoesytwoesy Mon 13-Jun-11 18:46:08

there are always people who take everything to far

Tryharder Mon 13-Jun-11 18:47:35

Well it is extreme. But it's also a bit weird to have no intention of bf. It's like saying you have no intention of walking or breathing. BF is how you feed a baby.

GooGooGadget Mon 13-Jun-11 18:47:59

you'll find idiots wherever. Why didn't you got for the bunfight on the other forum?

iEmbarassedMyself Mon 13-Jun-11 18:48:48

Yes, it's extreme, and no, YANBU.
Nobody else's business whether someone chooses to breastfeed or not, certainly not up to them to dictate under what circumstances pregnancy is acceptable.

mummytigger Mon 13-Jun-11 18:49:49

YANBU. Some people really bully others that don't or can't breastfeed and it's so unfair. My mum could never manage to breastfeed, and neither could my auntie, because they both suffered absolutely horribly from mastitis, and the pain they were in coupled with the hassle of a newborn was just too much, so they bottlefed. Never seemed to do me any damage!

I think it's a bit harsh - give it your best effort and if yo can't then you can't, it's nothing to be ashamed of! I mean, for centuries people who couldn't bear to breastfeed simply got a wetnurse to do it. If you can, then you can. If you can't then you can't. It's noone's fault.

Shoesytwoesy Mon 13-Jun-11 18:50:01

see as proved on this thread there is always someone who is extreme

usualsuspect Mon 13-Jun-11 18:51:48

We haven't had a good ole BF v FF bunfight on aibu for oh at least 2 weeks

anyway,yanbu

BertieBotts Mon 13-Jun-11 18:51:57

"sorry in advance to the BF/FF bunfight haters,i won't do it again..grin"

If you post in the Breast and Bottle feeding section, you might not find so many BF/FF bunfight haters. HTH.

(And yes I agree with you and I like a bunfight as much as anyone, but why bother apologising when you KNOW you're going to piss people off?)

cannydoit Mon 13-Jun-11 18:53:27

i wouldn't have if not for social pressures. i hate it. with my last one i did it for 3 days only. not like saying you have no intention of breathing as you would die that is a very peculiar statement. obviously if there was no alternative to bf then i would have to but there is so i didn't have to.

NormanTebbit Mon 13-Jun-11 18:54:51

Bollocks to it. Feeding is a small part of being a parent. There are far more important things than breastfeeding.

timewastingaway Mon 13-Jun-11 18:58:23

The lady who i refer to in my Op was criticized for being a tad extreme and that is was no business of hers to judge others to which she replied something along the lines of
"I reserve my right to challenge and criticize a mothers decision to not breastfeed as i feel it is as much my business as hers...afterall it is people like me who are paying for the extra hospital admissions etc"

I just thought,is this woman a complete loon?

msbuggywinkle Mon 13-Jun-11 19:00:30

The problem is that people often have complicated reasons for not wanting to breastfeed. I think the most simple it gets is 'I know no one who breastfed, its weird' but I imagine it would be bloody hard to be the only breast feeder amongst your friends and family and I can see why someone in that position wouldn't want to be blazing a trail.

pumpernickel10 Mon 13-Jun-11 19:04:41

I never BF did my DD no harm flecking too many do gooders out there

MilaMae Mon 13-Jun-11 19:22:55

It's like saying if you have no intention of hearing your kid read every night you shouldn't get pregnant. If you have no intention of providing a low fat organic diet you shouldn't get pregnant. If you have no intention of ensuring your kid gets 8 hours of sleep every night you shouldn't get pregnant.

It's bonkers,however for some reason some women put breast feeding on a higher pedestal than all other areas of parenting.These women can normally be described as loons so no you're not being unreasonable in thinking it's extreme.

LeQueen Mon 13-Jun-11 20:00:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeQueen Mon 13-Jun-11 20:02:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TattyDevine Mon 13-Jun-11 20:08:18

"But it's also a bit weird to have no intention of bf. It's like saying you have no intention of walking or breathing. BF is how you feed a baby"

I disagree. Whilst I agree that breastfeeding is the most natural and logical way to feed a human child, in reality there tend to be more obstacles in a person's way than walking or breathing tends to present.

I'm not sure how naturally walking would come to an infant child if they had never seen anybody use their legs...

bubblecoral Mon 13-Jun-11 20:10:58

I too find it wierd that anyone would have a baby without intending to do the very best they can for them.

I don't think that's extreme at all. It's normal to want to give your child the best you can give. Breast is best, spending time reading with your child is best, providing them with healthy food is best, the list could go on forever. But why would anyone bring a life into the world with the active intention of not doing what is best? Why? I don't get it.

Yes, it's a small part of parenting, yes, there is a very acceptable alternative, yes, plenty of women can't bf for perfectly valid reasons. But I still don't see why anyone would choose not to even try to do their best for their baby.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 13-Jun-11 20:11:28

Ffs!

Put it in the right section.

Your only intention is to start a fight, you pathetic individual.

pumpernickel10 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:12:47

Fight where's the fight?

usualsuspect Mon 13-Jun-11 20:13:49

Does an alarm go off somewhere when these threads start?

timewastingaway Mon 13-Jun-11 20:15:22

It wasn't my intention to start a fight atall actually..i know it would probably end up being one but i am genuinely interested in peoples opinions on my OP

timewastingaway Mon 13-Jun-11 20:15:54

*knew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now