Talk

Advanced search

to be really pissed off that some twat wrote I AM A FLID

(98 Posts)
LadySybilPussPolham Mon 13-Jun-11 18:36:48

on the disabled swing at the playground?

As vandalism goes I guess it's pretty mild but it got to me. Maybe it's because it's a lovely enclosed play area which rarely gets littered or damaged, so it stood out like a sore thumb. Obviously there's been some older visitors over the weekend as there was also a lot of rubbish lying about. Tempted to go back tomorrow with some Flash and a scourer. I don't have any particular axe to grind about disability issues but seeing that today made me realise that things probably haven't changed since 'Joey Deacon' was the most popular insult at school.

travellingwilbury Mon 13-Jun-11 18:38:29

I would also be livid . And I would be round there with my flash and a scourer .

Dickheads .

transferbalance Mon 13-Jun-11 18:38:40

what does it mean? confused

I'm so innocent

Onemorning Mon 13-Jun-11 18:38:57

YANBU. Absolutely vile.

JamieAgain Mon 13-Jun-11 18:39:39

It's short for Thalidomide (victim) . I haven't heard that as an insult since the 1970s.

It's very sad

transferbalance Mon 13-Jun-11 18:40:38

ah, not nice

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 13-Jun-11 18:40:40

I don't know what it means either confused.
Sorry.

Punkatheart Mon 13-Jun-11 18:41:02

It's a really really old-fashioned word and I believe the origins are from thalidomide? Horrible. What idiots.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 13-Jun-11 18:42:09

I haven't heard that before but how vile. I'd like to flash, no BLEACH, and scrub their dirty little mouths out.

iwanttoseethezoo Mon 13-Jun-11 18:42:31

kids ARE stupid, and don't understand the issues behind these words. i would be tempted to scrub it off too, but don't expect kids or teens to stop writing these things... unfortunately.

travellingwilbury Mon 13-Jun-11 18:42:35

It does sound like a 40 yr old on the rampage rather than teens .

I haven't heard it for years either .

Still bloody horrible though .

Do you think you will go and clean it up ?

TeddyMcardle Mon 13-Jun-11 18:43:14

How horrible sad

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 13-Jun-11 18:54:04

Do any teens even know what thalidomoide was/is? I know my teen doesn't.
I was born in the thalidomoide generation (I'm 54) and haven't heard anything about it for years, and never that particular expression.
If it was teens that did it, they must have learnt the word from someone a lot older.

usualsuspect Mon 13-Jun-11 18:55:48

Same as the others have said ,I doubt many teenagers would know the word

not a nice thing to do though

Shoesytwoesy Mon 13-Jun-11 18:59:18

yanbu, {but why put the disablist stuff in the thread title)

NormanTebbit Mon 13-Jun-11 19:00:00

I also only ever heard thatword in the 70's. Wouldn't have thought today's teenagers would know it - which makes me wonder if the vandal was in his thirties. Which is totally sad, cannot even blame the ignorance of youth. What a twunt.

pumpernickel10 Mon 13-Jun-11 19:01:29

How vile not heard that for many many years

happy2bhomely Mon 13-Jun-11 19:07:28

'Flid' is a common insult round here, (north east london). Heard it from teens upto mid forties. No one I have pulled up on it so far understands it's meaning!

EricNorthmansMistress Mon 13-Jun-11 19:17:54

Yes there are plenty of teens who know that word. They don't know where it came from, but they know what it means.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 13-Jun-11 19:19:23

Yanbu, but there are some really awful stupid ignorant people out there who are beneath your contempt or mental effort.

DoMeDon Mon 13-Jun-11 19:21:26

Flid will be an insult passed on as opposed to knowing where it comes from - doubt many Dc know where other words originate but throw them about anyways.

DoMeDon Mon 13-Jun-11 19:21:54

Meant to say YANBU - pointless and nasty - get the flash out smile

PinotGrigiosKittens Mon 13-Jun-11 19:21:58

Common here too, sadly.

They are twats.

thisisourtiime Mon 13-Jun-11 19:25:08

YANBU!
I have to say, I didn't understand the meaning til there was a thread on here about it really recently. I thought it was a shortened version of "flibbertigibbet" blush

CrapolaDeVille Mon 13-Jun-11 19:25:30

Going back to flash with a scouser is a bit off, but the vandalism was disgusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now