Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at this double glazing salesman?

(17 Posts)
Flyonthewindscreen Mon 13-Jun-11 18:02:01

We need a a couple of windows replacing so was phoning round a few double glazing companies. Spoke to two, arranged for them to come and give an estimate, no problem and then phoned a third. Would that be Mr and Mrs Kamer or just Mrs Kamer? he asked. Mr and Mrs I say not really sure why relevant. Then he says he can come tomorrow evening to speak to me and Mr Kamer. Mr Kamer may not be home/be busy putting DC to bed I say and anyway why do you need to speak to us both as my DH is quite happy for me to deal with this. Salesman says to make sure you both agree on styles.

DH could not care less about window styles and trusts my judgement on stuff like this so why on earth should a saleman insist he be present incase the "little lady" gets it wrong?

TidyDancer Mon 13-Jun-11 18:03:35

I actually agree with the salesman. Perhaps he's been burned in the past when he's gone with the word of only one family member, and wants to ensure all are in agreement.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 13-Jun-11 18:08:37

Ask him if he'd accept your hubby's word without yours?
and then call him an ignorant sexist git and take your money elsewhere

Katisha Mon 13-Jun-11 18:09:15

Seems very patronising to me.

TidyDancer Mon 13-Jun-11 18:11:26

We don't know that he wouldn't take the OP's DH's word without hers though. If that is the case, then obviously he is a fool and should be put in his place, but it could be innocent.

Vicky2011 Mon 13-Jun-11 18:12:02

I think it's more about ensuring you have less chance to stop him closing a sale. He's probably one of those twats who won't leave unless they've got you to sign up and of course, the first thing most people would say when trying to get out of that situation is that they needed to speak to their partner.

StealthPolarBear Mon 13-Jun-11 18:13:09

there have been threads about this before and I think it goes both ways - they aren't willing to take the decision of one without the other. I know when we had our windows done, I was faffing around putting the children to bed, and the guy would sum up and get my agreement of everything he'd said while I was out of the room.

MrsTwinks Mon 13-Jun-11 18:14:45

vicky, it could also be the opposite, he doesnt want to be accused of pressure selling by a DH irrate at what the missus has agreed to.

either way tell him if hes unprepared to deal with you the way you want you'll take your business elsewhere. He'll soon change his mind

valiumredhead Mon 13-Jun-11 18:17:52

Standard practice ime. They want you both there so one of you can't say 'Ok, thanks I'll discuss it when my partner gets home.' He wants your signature on the dotted line asap.

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 18:29:21

I'd avoid any salesman who said that. I phoned round a few local places when we wanted new patio doors, they said they'd send someone round to measure up then let us know a price. Which they did within a couple of days.

A 3rd company, (big national one who is supposed to beat all others) arranged to send someone round to speak to us. He arrived at 7pm one miserable rainy night when I was putting DD to bed, spent 30 minutes giving DH the hard sell, when I arrived (to work out what was taking so long) he then started giving me the hard sell.
He was annoyed because he'd driven 200 miles and had been told we wanted 2 doors and a patio door.
It took another half hour to get him to give us the price, even though I just kept saying "I don't care, what they're made of or how much they'll save me, I'm trying to get my daughter to sleep, just tell me the cost?"

The cost was twice as expensive as the local suppliers, he then phoned his manager to let him know it had been a "waste of time", before slowly packing up his bag and leaving.

bubblecoral Mon 13-Jun-11 18:36:46

I think it's fair enough for them to do that.

How else are they supposed to know that you aren't just going to waste their time (which costs money) and then refuse to give a descision because you have to speak to your partner first?

They don't just rock up to your house with all their samples in tow, spend an hour talking you through the options, then work out a quote just as a favour to you. They are a legitamate businnes that has to cover, and justify, its costs.

Beamur Mon 13-Jun-11 18:39:09

Sounds like a tactic to me.
I'd give them a miss.

Katisha Mon 13-Jun-11 19:00:00

Yes actually, I remember now being given the hard sell by a double glazing lot. They come round and talk and talk and talk. They eventually give you a "special price" that is apparently only available that day, or for the next couple of days.

You then say - well we don't want to make a decision right this minute." He then phones his manager and "manages" to get a price reduction but you have to hand over the credit card there and then.

Very hard to get rid, particularly as you don't seem to be able to get general details and prices without having to go through all this.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 13-Jun-11 19:06:55

YANBU - it is unreasonable not to be annoyed by double glazing salesmen. Katisha has accurately described their normal pressure tactics. The thing that's really disgraceful is that doubtless little old ladies just get charged the full 'list price' which no-one should ever pay.

And then, if you do buy from them, they seem to think that entitles them to bug you by phone thereafter, no matter how many times you tell them to take you off their list. Grrrrr. Maybe we failed to tick some tiny box buried in the small print but we've told them often enough not to call. Grrrr.

Beamur Mon 13-Jun-11 19:56:02

I got my Mums house done by a lovely local firm - no bullshit, no tactics, just nice windows at a reasonable price. If you're in the Halifax/West Yorks area I'll give you their details.

Flyonthewindscreen Mon 13-Jun-11 20:18:49

Thanks for offer Beamur but am nowhere near you. Obviously I don't know if the salesman would have insisted that I was present if DH had phoned. It was the fact that I made it clear that the decision re windows was up to me and DH actually was quite happy not to be involved but he refused to accept this that annoyed me.

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 20:37:41

Katisha - that's exactly what they did with me, the "special price" was available if I ordered them there and then, and if I had them done on a certain date.
It was still more than the local firm, and they could fit them sooner.

Needing DH around would cheese me off too. DH is clueless about DIY stuff, it's me that makes decisions on all that kind of thing, and as DH is a SAHD I'm the one who pays for them too.
If they were requiring him to be around I'd tell them I wasn't interested and cancel the appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: