Talk

Advanced search

A quick WWYD? Travelling and newly potty trained DS...

(19 Posts)
DontCallMePeanut Mon 13-Jun-11 14:37:26

OK, we're off on holiday this week, and DS hasn't been potty trained too long. In fact, rather annoyingly, he had a relapse last week, where he got through every pair of trousers he had at nursery... hmm

Anyway, the trip consists of a 4 hour train journey, and a 4 hour flight. Now, obviously, there'll be toilets available on the plane, and on 2 of the four trains (one of the trains is a tube, the other is a half hour journey and has no toilets - I know this from doing this length of the journey several times a month) So, to save too many accidents/embarrassments, WIBU to put DS in pull ups until we got to our destination? Just to be on the safe side? One day won't hurt, right?

itisnearlysummer Mon 13-Jun-11 14:39:13

We did this. We explained to DS that we knew he didn't need them but that it would make the journey a bit easier, just in case...

He was quite happy with it and the peace of mind was great.

DontCallMePeanut Mon 13-Jun-11 14:45:52

OK, ty... Just had DM telling me it would be too much like regression, so kinda mixed on it... But she's lovely like that, anyway... grin

blackeyedsusan Mon 13-Jun-11 14:48:13

put pullups under his pants...

have you got a porta potty? they are fab for emergencies.

MovingAndScared Mon 13-Jun-11 14:48:32

when my DS1 wasn't long potty trained he had a tummy upset - we put pull ups on again for a couple of days - not a problem to get back to pants after he was better -

harecare Mon 13-Jun-11 14:49:50

I wouldn't, but that's just me. I'd watch every time he had a drink and take him to toilet 10 mins later. If I forgot to take him it'd be my fault he was wet.
If you do use pull ups make them different to ones he has ever seen before and call them travelling pants for big boys or something. Still don't let him wee in them though, it'll be your job to help him.

DontCallMePeanut Mon 13-Jun-11 14:51:37

I don't, Blackeye, but he tend to use toilets more when we're out. I think it'd just be the times we couldn't get to a toilet that would be a problem. (turbulence/take off/landing) or the trains where there's no toilet available, although he always goes to the toilet both ends of the first leg of the journey.

Blatherskite Mon 13-Jun-11 14:53:12

We had a Pottette plus. Works with a bag as a potty and also converts to a childrens toilet seat for use on a normal toilet.

You'd be able to use it on the train/plane toilets to give your DS somewhere clean to sit (because lets face it, train/plane toilets can be gross) and also give him a little reassurance that he won't fall in, plus freeing your hands up for wiping etc as he'd be able to sit on his own rather than having you hold him - and you'd also be able to deploy it with bag in when there wasn't a loo around.

I'd maybe put him in a pull up anyway just in case but treat them just like pants and still expect him to try going to the loo when needed rather than replying on the nappy. Less chance of confusion and regression then I would have thought

ConnorTraceptive Mon 13-Jun-11 14:53:36

I wouldn't put him back in pull ups but then my ds is an all or nothing kins chap and would have found the mixed message confusing.

I would limit drinks and whenever a toilet is available to you make sure you take him regularly even if he says he doesn't want to go.

ConnorTraceptive Mon 13-Jun-11 14:53:50

kind of chap

Blatherskite Mon 13-Jun-11 14:55:42

Pottette plus

Not to be confused with the Pottette which doesn't do the trainer seat bit

Halogen Mon 13-Jun-11 14:59:24

We used pull ups on plane journeys when DD was at a similar stage, not because I thought she'd have an accident but because it was quite likely that she'd demand the loo as we were taxiing to the runway or something and not be able to wait. She wasn't confused, didn't actually do anything in the pull ups and was quite happy to go straight back to pants after the journey.

DontCallMePeanut Mon 13-Jun-11 15:03:47

Halogen, that's EXACTLY what DS would do... Rather helpfully, he told me he needed to do a wee wee as we got to the bus station the other evening, which is coincidentally when we found out they'd begun closing the bus station early. hmm

I'll see if I can find a pottette plus tomorrow, thanks for those who suggested it.

tablefor3 Mon 13-Jun-11 15:12:30

We put DD1 into pull-ups for travelling, but still did loo trips etc. no problem switching back to pants. Just said pull-ups might be comfier for travelling

DontCallMePeanut Mon 13-Jun-11 15:13:37

Aha, I might use that line, table... Might sell the idea to DS a little. grin

NestaFiesta Mon 13-Jun-11 15:55:52

YANBU. I did this for a10.5 hours flight. Yes it was regression, but he had had a few relapses the week before and I didn't want to risk him having an accident in the first hour of a ten hour flight. I thought sod what anyone thinks, it's me who'll have to clean it up and DS who'll be in a mess. Plus he wasn't dry at night then and it was a long haul flight where I was hoping he would sleep.

He was fine and back in pants again afterwards. No harm done.

MadamDeathstare Mon 13-Jun-11 16:03:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

countrybump Mon 13-Jun-11 16:10:49

I put my DS in a pull up whenever we went on a long journey. Generally we were always in the car, and I reasoned that it wasn't possible to always pull over on demand! I had a maternity mat lining the car seat for all shorter journeys.

There was no 'regression' for my son. He understood that it was just for a journey and most of the time they weren't ever wet. He still told me when he needed the loo / went to the loo when we stopped, and was fine.

I do also recommend a portable folding potty though. Have used that on the side of the road many times now!

You could always get re-usable potty training pants. i used those sometimes too. They don't give as much protection as a pull up disposable nappy, but they can hold a little bit and buy you a bit of time to get to the toilet while at the same time being like normal underwear for your DS to put on.

WowOoo Mon 13-Jun-11 16:22:17

We used pull ups for travelling.
No accidents = one less thing to have to think about.
Enjoy your holidays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now