Talk

Advanced search

To be blisteringly angry with the tosser who pulled out in front of me last week

(10 Posts)
weblette Mon 13-Jun-11 14:14:29

...as I've just been told my lovely 06 Grand Scenic is a write-off sad

I know it's only a car and that the most important thing is that we were all fine BUT we'll have to fork out a hefty chunk of money on top of the write-off value to get what we need. The car was in fine nick, it did the job we needed and was a great drive.

All because some fuckwit was in a hurry to get to work angry

Hammy02 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:15:34

Did you get his name plate/details or anything?

weblette Mon 13-Jun-11 14:25:58

Oh yes, his insurance will be getting a rather large bill but it's the hassle and cost that are doing my head in sad

paper80 Mon 13-Jun-11 15:16:27

Poor you. I also have a Grand scenic and love it. Despite it being expensive to maintain.

Amateurish Mon 13-Jun-11 15:20:05

You should get enough from the insurance company to buy the equivalent car again.

Have they put you in a suitable hire car?

Pendeen Mon 13-Jun-11 16:18:21

What were the circumstances of the crash? Was anyone hurt?

TeeBee Mon 13-Jun-11 16:24:16

So sorry you were in a crash and very glad you weren't hurt. But, you know, people are human and do make mistakes. I'm sure they are also seriously pissed off with themselves.

Guess you have every right to be blisteringly angry, but really what good is it going to do you?

Ormirian Mon 13-Jun-11 16:29:42

Bugger!

Problem is if it's not new you never get enough to replace it with an equivalent. With older cars its better the devil you know iyswim especailly if you have serviced it regularly.

Cars get written off quite easily. When our Galaxy was 'written off' 18m ago it had some minor wing damage, some damage to the steering column and needed a new bumper. We paid the scrap value to the ins. company and used the rest of the claim to fix the car and get in back on the road. All in all it seemed a better deal to us. Is your damage quite minor? Having said that there have been more problems that may or may not be related to the accident but all in all I think it was the right thing to do.

weblette Mon 13-Jun-11 19:05:37

The driver pulled straight out of a side road in front of me, nowhere for me to go except into the side of him. I was only doing 20mph - there's a construction site nearby so I'm always very careful about my speed there. All 4 dcs in the back. #3 thought it was all very exciting hmm

I hear what you're saying TeeBee but this plonker's actions causing me a lot of trouble and if it weren't for the fact I was driving slowly, it could have been so so much worse sad

I've checked Glass's and the price they've offered is fair, I can see that over £3000 of repairs isn't economical given its current value. We were planning to run it for another couple of years then replace with something bigger, it makes sense to use the money we'll get back.

Impression I get is that cars aren't as 'repairable' as they used to be. Things have to replaced rather than fixed - you can panel beat dents from a metal wing, on the Scenic the bumper unit and wings are plastic.

Amateurish Tue 14-Jun-11 16:06:12

Don't bother with Glasses. The important price is the forecourt cost - what will it cost you to go to a dealer to buy the equivalent car.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: