Talk

Advanced search

to be thinking 10 days is too long for my 1 year old DS to have diarrhea?

(26 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 13-Jun-11 13:55:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sn0wflake Mon 13-Jun-11 14:02:56

Well if he is under medical care then I don't think a chat room is going to help much more. I assume they checked if he wasn't dehydrated? Does he seem in good spirits otherwise in the day time?

If you are worried get to a GP or A&E.

MissPenteuth Mon 13-Jun-11 14:06:18

I'm not a medical professional, but I think that if he seems happy enough, is eating and drinking as normal, isn't dehydrated or losing worrying amounts of weight, then it's probably just his teeth and nothing to worry about. You have my sympathy though, my 15mo has had similar recently (for about 5 days iirc), and the nappy rash was the worst part.

Huffythetantrumslayer Mon 13-Jun-11 14:08:40

Yes get him checked if you're worried. My ds had bad diarrhoea when he was put on antibiotics and got nappy rash. Use lotion with cotton wool to clean his bum not wipes and just keep chucking water down his neck. You can get them salt rehydrating sachet things if you're worried he's dehydrated. Is he still playing happily or is he listless with no energy?

belgo Mon 13-Jun-11 14:09:42

Doesn;t sound like teething, like you say, he has eight teeth and this hasn't happened before.

Have you had any advice regarding his diet? Have you given him anything different to eat?

My dd2 had a nasty gastric infection and the diarrhoea lasted a couple of months before the bowels got back to normal.

belgo Mon 13-Jun-11 14:10:36

yes, go back to the doctor.

ceebeegeebies Mon 13-Jun-11 14:12:58

My DS1 had a tummy bug when he was 4 months old - he got over the sickness within a couple of days but the diarrohea went on for about 2 weeks. Took him back to the doctors after about 1 week and doc said it was quite common in babies for the diarrohea to continue for a couple of weeks.

But obviously I am not a doctor so if you are worried, get him checked again.

belgo Mon 13-Jun-11 14:13:49

You can give Enterol to help repair the bowels following a stomach upset but you should see the GP first.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 13-Jun-11 14:14:05

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 13-Jun-11 14:17:09

hillyhilly Mon 13-Jun-11 14:17:13

My dd was similar for at least 2 weeks we she was about 2, she then went on to be kind of constipated (lots of straining but the poo itself wasnt hard, more like plasticine), for a couple of months or more, eventually it all righted itself. We had a sample tested early in which was cleat.

ceebeegeebies Mon 13-Jun-11 14:18:15

here you go - under Symptoms it says loose stools can last 5-7 days or longer.

belgo Mon 13-Jun-11 14:23:11

Look up the BRAT diet, bread/bananas/rice/cooked apples - that is usually recommended to help with diarrhea following a tummy bug.

wonka Mon 13-Jun-11 14:23:49

Could be just toddler diarrhoea, my DS now 3 had it for about 4/5 months 1-1.5 years. See here Web. But I'd get him checked to be sure.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 13-Jun-11 14:32:43

wonka Mon 13-Jun-11 17:02:42

Its less messy in the toilet! He can hold it, he's just VERY loose when he goes, but its intermittant now

Sn0wflake Mon 13-Jun-11 18:50:12

Apologies. I didn't intend my post to sound aggressive. I think if you are very worried a professional is going to be better than people who can't see your baby. I was probably too blunt. Hope all is well.

crispyseaweed Mon 13-Jun-11 18:56:56

I would get a 2nd opinion if i were you.. 10 days is too long.
Depends exactly (to be graphical) what the runny timmy is like.
Is it a good idea to stay off acidic fruit for the moment, and also fruit juice and loads of vegetable. Not sweetcorn, raisins, brocolli, carrots, spinach etc.
Bland stuff like yogurt, bread, eggs, fish, potato, ready brek, milk?
Also keep his fluid levels up with lots of drinks/water.

WelliesinJune Mon 13-Jun-11 20:00:50

My DD had it for a month. Went to the gp 5 times. The only thing that worked I researched myself - rice water. Boil up some rice in lots of water (at least twice what you'd normally use), drain the water and use in beakers of formula/juice instead of normal water.

libelulle Mon 13-Jun-11 20:09:20

If it's a rotavirus it can last weeks apparently. Ds (1 yr) had diarrhoea as you describe for just over two weeks. Kept taking him back to gp and he kept saying that these things can go on a long time and that we just had to wait it out. Beware special diets; I read a recent study which claimed that altering diet in cases of tummy bugs tended to make the diarrhoea last longer!

DoMeDon Mon 13-Jun-11 20:22:03

DD had it for 2 weeks - went to dr, went back to dr, gave sample - was a tummy bug. They look for dehydration, DC not being themselves (limp/excessively sleepy, etc). As long as he is taking fluids they probably won't worry too much.

I would get him checked again but yes, it can last a long time.

DoMeDon Mon 13-Jun-11 20:23:08

Agree about no special diest, etc. Dr was VERY CLEAR that you should offer more fluids and normal food, little and often.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Mon 13-Jun-11 20:41:03

You could try giving him natural probiotic yoghurt. It's supposed to aid gut healing after diarrhoea (according to Dr Sears' website) and I've always found it helpful for my children and myself.

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 14-Jun-11 13:51:21

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 14-Jun-11 17:36:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now