Talk

Advanced search

To be terrified of having anesthetic next week even though Ive had it so many times

(37 Posts)
veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:35:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vintageteacups Sun 12-Jun-11 22:58:06

I was exactly the same when I had to have a general to remove my gall bladder when dd was little. I'd had one before for her c-section and was fine but it's when you know that you are now responsible for them, it's really scary.

The anaethetist will chat to you (tell him your fears) and explain everything. They really won't give you the GA if there's any contra-indication and once you're under they monitor you the whole time.

One thing I did do for two ops after DCs was to write them a letter to keep and to read when they were older in case I shouldn't come round. I know it sounds a bit morbid but it made me feel a bit better.

Could you write a similar thing/poem etc for your dd?

Also - if you've not made a will, could you make one quickly before the op (with a solicitor, not a home will, stating that you want your dd to go to your parents if something should happen?

Hope it all goes okay for you - I'm sure it will be fine. smile

HughManatee Sun 12-Jun-11 23:00:56

YANBU. it's very un-MN but have a big <<<<<<hug>>>>. FWIW, my friend's DH is an anaesthetist, and when he explained how closely patients are monitored, it helped the last time I had an operation.

squeakytoy Sun 12-Jun-11 23:02:12

Its not unreasonable to be scared, but statistically it is very very very unlikely to happen.

halcyondays Sun 12-Jun-11 23:03:20

YANBU to worry about an anaesthetic but I'm sure you will be fine. smile

Punkatheart Sun 12-Jun-11 23:05:19

Had a GA a few times and I must admit that I wasn't scared - just grateful to be asleep!

Wishing you a good outcome. No one can really tell you not to worry because if you are a worrier, you will. But it is a very safe proceedure and not an unknown entity - as you have had others.

2littlegreenmonkeys Sun 12-Jun-11 23:06:50

YANBU. I completely understand, I felt the same last year when I had an emergency appendectomy, although DH is fantastic, I was scared of never seeing my girls again and leaving them.

I have no advice, I am sorry sad Just wanted to let you know I (and most parents) will understand how anxious you feel right now.

Good luck x

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 12-Jun-11 23:09:17

I was the same too... Prior to DD, I wasn't the least bit bothered but I had an operation in February and was terrified. I'm a single parent and I was so worried that "something" would happen and she would be left all alone. I was fine, obviously.

Hope it goes well. x

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 23:10:18

HughManatee Sun 12-Jun-11 23:15:10

Would it help if you put something in writing about the care of your DD? Not that anaesthetics are unsafe, far from it, but maybe it would help you feel better prior to your OP. Sorry if that sounds clumsy blush

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 23:23:12

lalabaloo Sun 12-Jun-11 23:31:18

Are your parents looking after DD while you are in hospital? It will be fine but I know what you mean, I had an anaesthetic last month and was terrified I would die and leave DH alone. Good luck, we'll be thinking of you! x

HughManatee Sun 12-Jun-11 23:35:10

If you write that down and get it signed by an independent witness (not your mum or dad) then I think it could still be accepted by a court. Not that you'll need this, you'll be ok, but once you've got the op out of the way, maybe get legal advice about a will? I don't mean to be negative, but you're right to not want ex-p involved with your DD.

HughManatee Sun 12-Jun-11 23:36:30

Forgot to say, when I got a will done, it took around 7-10 days to go through, but as I'd signed all the docs at the solicitors, I was told they'd be valid in court.

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 23:37:13

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 23:38:57

HughManatee Sun 12-Jun-11 23:42:32

Verity you're welcome, hope the op goes well and good luck smile

xstitch Mon 13-Jun-11 00:56:37

YANBU to be scared but I am sure it will be fine. You should say to the staff at the hospital how scared you are. They will be used to supporting people.

iscream Mon 13-Jun-11 04:55:52

"my mum is coming to our house to have her, Ive told her if I die not to tell him seeing he only comes twice a year he wont find out for months and by that time dd will be settled and happy with them and judge wont want to uproot her again."

That is a great safeguard I think. I would also write a letter expressing all of your concerns, just in case you ever do pass away while she is under 18. He sounds like a rotten father.

However, regarding your surgery....remind yourself of tiny newborn babies undergoing open heart surgery. If they can survive, so can you. smile
It is normal to worry, but it is very very unlikely anything will happen to you.
Good luck!

Groovee Mon 13-Jun-11 09:00:51

I had my gall bladder removed last year and a minor op which required a GA in Feb and both times I was terrified about it all. My friend has had 39 GA's and says she always goes in thinking this will be the one which kills her, so it makes me think as a parent it is a natural worry and nothing any one says will relieve it. But try not to get too stressed as it affected my BP quite badly during the op and after. ((((hugs)))

lalabaloo Mon 13-Jun-11 19:05:15

I'm glad that you will know your DD is with people she knows well and loves, that should hopefully help you feel a bit better. Definitely tell the staff at the hospital about your worries, they were great with me when I told them how nervous I felt. I know nothing will make the worry go away but be as gentle on yourself as you can. Good luck! x

lalabaloo Sun 19-Jun-11 10:26:38

How did your op go Verity? Hope it was all okay x

veritythebrave Sun 19-Jun-11 12:35:30

Liz79 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:53:12

Good luck verity.
I know nothing about these things but is it something worth telling social services about before hand? Given what you have said they may deem him unsuitable

lalabaloo Mon 20-Jun-11 19:38:49

Oh no that's a shame, good luck for tomorrow!! You'll have all us lovely mumsnetter thinking of you! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now