Advanced search

Do I take child out of school or hold on to see what differences changes make

(41 Posts)
veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 21:59:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:01:09

squeakytoy Sun 12-Jun-11 22:02:50

What is wrong in sending her to the local state school? Sounds like she might get a better eductation and have more stablility there.

emsies Sun 12-Jun-11 22:06:49

Ditto to squeakytoy. At least she would be with her own age group.

Parietal Sun 12-Jun-11 22:07:57

I reckon 1 year of slightly haphazard education will not ruin a bright child with good home support. I lost a year of primary school when my parents moved internationally and caught up pretty easily.

but you could negotiate a shorter notice period next year with the school, eg tell them you will only stay the rest of this year if they give you a written agreement that you can leave with 2 weeks notice next September if the changes you need aren't made.

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:10:01

MumblingRagDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 22:10:50

So she's year 2 going into year 3 now? I dont think a year will hurt....try it...especially if she likes school generally.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 12-Jun-11 22:11:55

What's wrong with a state school?

At least she'll be in a class with her own age group, and even if the standard isn't up to that of a good private school, it sounds like it will be better that the situation she's in at the moment. You sounds like you are supportive parents and that will make a difference too.

The money that you save will also pay for a bit of extra tuition in the future of you feel that is needed.

MumblingRagDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 22:12:01

I mean...where will you send her if you pull her?

squeakytoy Sun 12-Jun-11 22:12:04

Ah, fair enough then. In which case, it sounds bloody stressful.

Not sure what the answer is to be honest. Is there any chance that the state schools will have any places by September.

MumblingRagDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:12

Also....wont you qualify for help wit taxi fares? 3 and a half miles is the only option....dont the council have to offer assistance?

dixiechick1975 Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:52

Can you apply to re apply to state and or appeal again?

Once she is yr 3 they can't restrict due to infant class size.

If the only state school they can offer is a distance away I thought transort had to be offered?

passivelyaggresive Sun 12-Jun-11 22:16:47

Bloody hell verity, thats awful, i dont know what we would have done because like you, i dont drive, but i could not have afforded to send private. Surely they cant force smeoen to travel 3.5 miles to school.Especially as now you have been forced into sending to a private school that you are not happy with. I would write to all the state schools in the area and see if they have a place, children often move away from areas etc so you never know. I wouldnt be happy about what you describe at all and it wouldnt be allowed in the state system.

emsies Sun 12-Jun-11 22:18:48

There should be someone you can contact at the LEA if you want to get your child back into a state school, they should either provide a place or transport or something (I think?)

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:27:35

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:30:48

seeker Sun 12-Jun-11 22:36:31

If your nearest school with a place is a long way away you will be eligible for a taxi. Look into it.

seeker Sun 12-Jun-11 22:38:26

'
We were told because of income we didnt qualify for help with transport especially as we were chosing to remove her from a school she had a place at."

Income doesn;t count here - you are entitled to a place at your nearest state school with a place.

MumblingRagDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 22:39:56

Well....if you can pay fees surely you can pay a taxi? confused

LittleMissFlustered Sun 12-Jun-11 22:40:15

Are there buses? I bus my tribe three miles to school, though there are schools closer.

Good luck sorting something out.

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:40:31

MumblingRagDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 22:42:11

I know plenty of people who travel 3 and more miles to school daily. My own sister travels 10 miles. As I said....if you can pay fes then a taxi isn't out of reach.

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:45:28

veritythebrave Sun 12-Jun-11 22:47:48

MumblingRagDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 22:48:33

My God....is moving out of the question? Can DH not change his hours in order to drive her? I do understand....we are alSo at a tiny private school....all locals full...we are on lists though we have SOME choice...I think you need to go back and kick off...can you re-appeal?

Is DD happy at school? Are you worried about secondary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now