Advanced search

Passport issues pls read

(30 Posts)
BobbaFettBountyHunter Sun 12-Jun-11 20:26:34

Ok, so if you wanted to take a child (your child) on holiday with you do you need the father to countersign? Father is on the BC, and was born after dec 2003.
If the father wont agree to sign the passport or give written consent is there anything the mum can do other than suck up and hope they will eventually agree?

heleninahandcart Sun 12-Jun-11 20:28:24

Read the guidelines that come with the application. Its complicated and needs VERY careful attention to get it right.

bringmesunshine2009 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:29:18

You can do it alone as you have parental responsibility. no space on form for both parents sigs anyway.

BobbaFettBountyHunter Sun 12-Jun-11 20:32:00

I'm a bit confused by the guidelines (am trying to find info for a mate) both parents will have responsibilty so would have to sign orr give consent. The NRP is being funny (i will sign it, no i wont hahaha type thing) Told her I would look it but but am a bit confused, was hoping someone would have a clear cut answer...
TheNRP has regular access if that makes a difference?

RedbinD Sun 12-Jun-11 20:33:34

Just forge his signature.

strandedbear Sun 12-Jun-11 20:33:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarrietJones Sun 12-Jun-11 20:34:34

I didn't get xh to sign dds. Bigger problem may be tsking them on holiday as he might be a pita and object

RitaMorgan Sun 12-Jun-11 20:35:15

I got ds a passport recently and just filled it out with my details. I can't remember if I put DP's passport number on the form as well as mine, but only I signed it and it got send to me.

strandedbear Sun 12-Jun-11 20:35:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WomblingUpsideDown Sun 12-Jun-11 20:37:39

Are you sure a signature is needed? On a child renewal passport it certainly isn't needed. I'm sure the same form is used for all types of passport, and there isn't room for two parents to sign it.

BobbaFettBountyHunter Sun 12-Jun-11 20:38:32

it's a first passport

OddBoots Sun 12-Jun-11 20:39:38

I have just got passports for my children, dh didn't have to sign a thing but I did need his passport number (or an official copy of his birth certificate).

nancy75 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:39:52

strandedbear - taht doesn't happen in reality. My parents take my dd away every year, she has a different surname to them. I always give them a letter saying they can take her as well as her birth cert - nobody has ever asked to see it.

cupofteaplease Sun 12-Jun-11 20:40:14

dd was born after 2003. Her dad's name is on the BC, but I never needed any permission to apply for her passport. She has had 2 now. Hope that helps smile.

BobbaFettBountyHunter Sun 12-Jun-11 20:40:32

Thank you for the link Stranded

UKSky Sun 12-Jun-11 20:41:08

Nope he doesn't need to sign. You need to put in his details and passport number but only one parent has to sign.

sodiumion Sun 12-Jun-11 20:41:14

No space to countersign, DH didnt sign anything. Though he did get called back through customs to check I wasnt stealing DS as my passport is still in my maiden name... hmm

cupofteaplease Sun 12-Jun-11 20:42:52

Oh, also strandedbear, that isn't often an issue. Dd1 has my maiden name, dd2 has my married name. I have never been asked why dd1 is travelling with me, and we have all been abroad together many times. My mum was asked when travelling back from Italy with dd2 though, but no proof was needed, it was just a casual query.

BobbaFettBountyHunter Sun 12-Jun-11 20:43:16

Say he didn't have a passport no number?

OddBoots Sun 12-Jun-11 20:44:36

you need to send off for a copy of his birth certificate.

LizaTarbucksAuntie Sun 12-Jun-11 20:45:42

I only had to put the place and date of birth of father on littlemads passport - Court had ordered exh to co-operate but I had the info anyway.

It shouldn't be a problem to get the passport, but may be a problem to remove the child without consent. Rules state the resident parent may remove child for up to 28 days without consent but that wont help if father applies for a prohibited steps order and all future holidays are blocked.

cupofteaplease Sun 12-Jun-11 20:45:43

Sorry to go on... I have no personal details about dd1's dad, bar his current address. We broke up when I told him I was pregnant and we don't really talk. So I didn't put any of his details on the passport application, or the renewal form. It was never an issue, even though his name is on her birth certificate. BTW, she was born in 2005, if that makes a diffference.

Sorry for the multiple replies- I just want to reassure OP that this needn't be a problem in any way for you. smile

oldraver Sun 12-Jun-11 20:46:00

She can apply for the passport on her own for her child (I'm assuming she has British Nationality and will 'pass this on' to her child,).

She may have difficulty with the 'getting permission to take the child out of the country'. If she is questioned and doesnt have permission then she will be stopped. How awkward is the father being, would he go as far as to put a stop on the child being taken out of the country ?

IIRC a MNer said on a similar thread that she went to court and got permission for a holiday as the NRP was being awkward

BobbaFettBountyHunter Sun 12-Jun-11 20:49:23

He has just said he doesn't give permission but it is doubtful if he will go to a solicitor. I think it is a control issue (not really relevant I know) If she got the passport and went on holiday without telling the father would it be a problem? There is no court involvement.

LizaTarbucksAuntie Sun 12-Jun-11 20:49:36

didn't need a passport number for Littlemad (exh is not resident in UK or british citizen) - but if there is no passport, just write not applicable or no passport on the form.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: