Talk

Advanced search

DH went out with 3x £20 notes last night. He spent about £20.

(43 Posts)
Reality Sun 12-Jun-11 18:44:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BluddyMoFo Sun 12-Jun-11 18:45:41

MaureenMLove Sun 12-Jun-11 18:46:01

Hmmmm. I'm the same! It's so much quicker and easier to hand over a note, that waste time fumbling around for the right change! grin

RiojaLover75 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:46:11

'tis a man thing sad

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 12-Jun-11 18:46:15

My dh does the same confused

I keep telling him his willy will not fall off if he uses coins but to no avail grin

SuePurblybilt Sun 12-Jun-11 18:47:13

It is a bloke thing. I have a theory they secretly like all the change jiggling around the danglers or making that area look heftier by filling their pockets.

Reality Sun 12-Jun-11 18:48:57

trixymalixy Sun 12-Jun-11 18:49:58

DH also does this. It suits me fine as I snaffle the shrapnel which usually includes many pound coins!!

flippinada Sun 12-Jun-11 18:50:06

I dunno about it being a bloke thing, I like having change and always break into notes when I can.

Not that I ever get to walk round with loads of notes, you understand grin

notso Sun 12-Jun-11 18:52:13

YABU emptying DH's pockets is the only thing that makes doing the washing worthwhile.

MadameOvary Sun 12-Jun-11 18:52:38

Sue grin
But wouldn't that make them look a bit, um, lopsided?
Or does that all add to the general effect?

LordOfTheFlies Sun 12-Jun-11 18:53:06

DH crumples his notes up into a little ball,so if he gives me money I have to painstakingly smooth it out before I hand it over.blush

Oh and isn't it nice when you find a receipt in your pocket and there's a £5 note wrapped up in

LadyThumb Sun 12-Jun-11 18:55:23

Just mark the shrapnel jar 'This jar belongs to Reality'!!!!

Trills Sun 12-Jun-11 18:56:26

"it's a bloke thing, and that men will NEVER fumble for change when they have a perfectly good big note to fork over."

Penises do not inhibit counting, as far as I know.

The blokes that I know woudl always want to get rid of change so that they didn't have to have jangly pockets.

On the side, that's a spare £40 to spend on nice things for you.

SuePurblybilt Sun 12-Jun-11 18:57:35

I wasn't suggesting they'd thought it through MadameOvary grin

I've just discovered I really dislike the word shrapnel. It's a horrid sound.

OddBoots Sun 12-Jun-11 18:58:13

I do this but only because I need the change for dinner money for ds every day.

edam Sun 12-Jun-11 18:58:40

I try to get rid of change but the risk is I look like a skinflint counting out the right change in shops (and it takes longer - maybe only a few seconds but those seconds matter when there's a queue). Don't do it in pubs, that would look weird. And take too long.

Shodan Sun 12-Jun-11 19:00:35

My DH has a horror of change bordering on obsessive. He'll stand at a till/bar painstakingly counting out all his change and will even ask me for the odd extra penny to make up any shortfall rather than break a note. I have threatened to get him one of those brown pouchy old man purses so he can shake his change out to count it.

Think yourself lucky.

<disclaimer: DH is immensely generous and not at all scroogey. It's just the change...)

coastgirl Sun 12-Jun-11 19:03:43

I always do that when I go out - when I'm in places that play music or have people talking loudly I can never hear what the bar staff say to me when they tell me the price so to avoid embarrassment I just give them a note that I hope will cover it - otherwise you spend ages doing the "sorry, didn't catch that...." thing.

MadameOvary Sun 12-Jun-11 19:03:48

YY re shrapnel.
I've also heard it called "smash"
Which is equally unsavoury.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 12-Jun-11 19:06:33

My dad does this, drives my mother barmy. I like it because he dumps all the change and gives it to me every so often grin

TidyDancer Sun 12-Jun-11 19:07:08

Yes, DP does this. I quite like finding bonus money all over the place, but am a trifle concerned that DD may swallow some, given the sheer amounts we're talking about.

Me? I will use every bit of change I can before breaking a note. I used to think DP and I were different because he grew up in a well off family and I didn't (so I like knowing I have notes on me, makes me feel like I have more money), but maybe it's a man/woman thing!

ZXEightyMum Sun 12-Jun-11 19:07:10

Oh I don't know... I was once treated to dinner at a chain restaurant and my date started counting out not just pound coins but silver and coppers shock angry

Was mortified and slung my bank card at the person serving instead along with a five pound note. I then legged it as fast as my legs could carry me and got into a taxi went to powder my nose. For a long time.

Your DH sounds like a great bloke with all the change he brings home.

bupcakesandcunting Sun 12-Jun-11 19:07:20

It's called "Drinker's Purse" in this house, the theory being you're so plastered at the bar that's it's too difficult to count out coins so you hand a note over.

I had £17.80 in change in my purse this morning.

ZXEightyMum Sun 12-Jun-11 19:08:30

grin at Shodan and the brown pouchy old man purse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now