Talk

Advanced search

to be sick of being asked what i've eaten..

(21 Posts)
kiki22 Sun 12-Jun-11 17:27:49

I am 8 weeks pregnant and suddenly everyone has started to ask me what i've eaten today if i've had enough fruit n veg and have a taken my folic acid! i'm starting to get very sick of it! To put you in the picture i'm a size 12 and have never had any sort of problems with food i eat quite healthy with lots of fruit but still enjoy the odd treat or take away so i can not understand why suddenly everyones worried that i am eating o not eating.... My mother has started to txt me on a daily basis asking if i've eaten breakfast/lunch and what i had she has not done this since i started high school.

I know they are trying to take care of me but it's starting to make me feel like they dont trust me to take care of my body for the baby. i think the reason may be that they are all brining out the banners with excitement and can't understand why i'm not shouting it from the roof tops but with a miscarriage and bleeding during this pregnancy coupled with bad sickness and tiredness is not making me feel like stopping strangers in the street to tell them and they seem to take this as a sign i'm not happy to be pregnant.

i am rabbling i know but is all getting very annoying i a grown woman and don' think i should need to report everything i eat to my family. do you think i'm being unreasonable? i really don't

TheMonster Sun 12-Jun-11 17:28:46

I don't recall anyone asking me what I ate when I was pregnant. The answer would have been pizza, haribos and pepsi max!

LadyThumb Sun 12-Jun-11 17:29:37

Just text back, EVERY TIME: crisps, takeaway, coke, chocolate cake. They'll soon get fed-up asking!

TidyDancer Sun 12-Jun-11 17:32:15

Tbh, I do think YABU. I can understand why it could be a bit annoying, but they are just taking an interest, they love you, and they already love your baby. This attention is not coming out of malice or a feeling that you are totally irresponsible and unable to do right by your child, it's because they care.

I'm willing to bet you'd be more upset if they didn't contact you at all.

Katy1368 Sun 12-Jun-11 17:33:08

YANBU but just wait until the baby is born because then the "advise" will be even worse - you should feed this way, this often, rock them to sleep., don't rock them to sleep etc etc - and on and on!! This is just the start - get used to smiling pleasantly and ignoring/changing the subject swiftly. and doing what you feel is right regardless.

Congrats!

kiki22 Sun 12-Jun-11 17:56:06

i'm getting very used to smiling pleasantly already my cheeks are startin to hurt smile

sodiumion Sun 12-Jun-11 18:06:01

Agree with Katy , you'd better get used to it I'm afraid grin

Yukana Sun 12-Jun-11 18:12:05

At that point it was crisps, chocolate, sweets, whatever I could get into my body without throwing up! Sadly you'll continue to get bothered by 'Are you eating a balanced diet?' etc until the cows come home. grin

troisgarcons Sun 12-Jun-11 18:14:02

Be afraid, very afraid, "they" will try and make you eat for two ..... don't do it!

A1980 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:14:11

YANBU

I don't recall ever asking a pregnant friend what she'd eaten. Wouldnt' cross my mind

troisgarcons Sun 12-Jun-11 18:19:21

Then! The random strangers touching your bump will start. That used to really pee me off.

AllDirections Sun 12-Jun-11 18:23:41

I wish that someone had cared enough to ask me what I'd eaten when I was pregnant with DD3!

diddl Sun 12-Jun-11 18:26:16

Who´s asking?

fatlazymummy Sun 12-Jun-11 18:43:46

troisgarcons thankfully no one tried to touch my bump, other than the Dad to be and older brothers. I would probably have decked them if they had.
I honestly don't get why some people are so obsessed with pregnancy, especially other peoples'.
OP you're not being unreasonable at all.

d0gFace Sun 12-Jun-11 18:48:47

YANBU - Today my mum had a go at me(10 weeks) for having hot dog sarnies for lunch, when you feel sick,tired and a little sorry for yourself, I dont see what wrong with having something quick and easy every now and again. Im making meatloaf soon but just feel like going to bed. smile

honeyandsalt Sun 12-Jun-11 19:01:26

Come on, it's well-known that pregnant wimmin are a little bit, you know, soft in the head, and everyone else must gently take their hand and tell them what to do. It's for your own good..... ah look this is a prevalent attitude, and it carries on for a fair bit after bub's born too. Everyone has an opinion, they're all different and they all think they're right. Generally the way to handle it is to take the info in, smile sweetly and thank them then do it your way. But in this case, while their motivations are dead sweet, YABfeckingU at all, and you should say "Oy! Sweet yet overbearing relatives! No! Thanks!"

It's nice when people care, but being patronised and controlled is my absolute pet peeve.

SloganLogan Sun 12-Jun-11 20:06:28

Just repeat "I'm eating very well, thanks for your concern" and change the subject.

gourd Sun 12-Jun-11 20:16:09

No one asked me, but I eat like a horse, all the time, and it got even worse when I was pregnant, I was eating at least every two hours - I don't think my colleagues can believe how much i eat! I am a fruit-fiend and like my grilled/roast meat too, but will basically eat anything. No-one said much to me about my pregnancy at all except the odd statement of the blindingly obvious (along the lines of "ooh it's getting bigger", or "aw, starting to show now"). No one tried to touch my bump either - I had a hard time trying to get my partner to touch my bump, even when it was moving about!

superjobeespecs Sun 12-Jun-11 20:17:34

i got this from my mum and MIL for the first months of this PG i told them the truth to begin with (not much as i keep vomiting) quickly realised the nagging would never stop so kept telling them toast smile they now both think my craving was toast and that it has sustained me these past 5 months hmm bloody interfering rellies drive me nutso

SloganLogan Sun 12-Jun-11 21:22:13

Are there any other ways that you would like to be "taken care of"? Help with housework, time off etc? Can you point people in those directions with a few hints instead?

porpoisefull Sun 12-Jun-11 21:25:18

YANBU. Ask your mum (nicely) to butt out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now