Talk

Advanced search

to be thinking of calling the company this man represents and telling them ....

(16 Posts)
catseverywhere Sun 12-Jun-11 15:00:49

..... exactly WHY I won't be using thier services?

I need some new windows, and by a spooky coincidence I was cold-called by a home improvement company, so made an appointment for their rep to visit, measure up and provide a quote.

The rep duly turned up, we made a bit of small talk, then I offered to show him the windows I want replacing. He said to me 'isn't your husband here? I like to have Mr and Mrs here when we do this'.

To which I replied 'what husband?' with what I hope was a suitably withering look, but which just probably made me look peculiar. He had the good grace to apologise, bluster a bit, so I thought no harm done, and off we went to look at the windows.

Fast forward a little while, and he's sitting at my dining room table, working out prices, when he clocks that I have a treadmill in the corner of the lounge, whereupon he launches into a long spiel about how I shouldn't run on a treadmill, I should run on the road, or better still, I should do what he does and get myself a personal trainer.

He then tells me about his personal trainer, remarking that he works with some of the patients at Hellesdon Hospital (mental health hospital) and that some of the people in there are 'right nutters' and that if the trainer can work with them he can work with anyone.

So I put it to him that I have worked in mental health and would never refer to clients as 'nutters', and he blustered again about 'well, that's the word the trainer uses to describe them', and I left the room so I wouldn't have to clatter him with a dining chair.

Oh, and then the git rep started with the 'if you make a decision about the windows right now you can have a discount'.

I will obviously not be using a company that employs people who make comments like that to total strangers, and, 4 days on (so not on the spur of the moment) think they should know why.

AIBU?

worraliberty Sun 12-Jun-11 15:03:20

He shouldn't refer to them as nutters so YANBU there

The rest of it just makes me shrug my shoulders to be honest

Trifle Sun 12-Jun-11 15:04:37

You think they should know what ? That he calls some people nutters. I can imagine they'll be calling you that if you do.

mdowdall Sun 12-Jun-11 15:06:11

Bit harsh to get somebody in bother from their boss just for being a bit ignorant. But if it makes you feel better...

thursday Sun 12-Jun-11 15:06:53

i'm all for complaining where complaints are due, but tbh i wouldn't waste my time in this instance. yes he sounds a like a bit of a twat, but not to epic proportions.

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 12-Jun-11 15:08:33

He'll lose a comission if he doesn't sell to you - I'd tell him why he's lost a sale and he might be more circumspect in future.

chocolatehobnobs Sun 12-Jun-11 15:08:48

Wouldn't bother complaining. He is a bit of an ignoramus though

catseverywhere Sun 12-Jun-11 15:09:03

Probably. I just could never use that word to describe people unfortunate enough to have mental health problems, as I said I've worked with some, and know how prejudice can affect them.

I get it, though IABU, and I'll leave it. Still not buying his chuffin windows, though grin

nijinsky Sun 12-Jun-11 15:12:43

Just a thick twat. I would complain but in writing and possibly with a bit of humour/sarcasm in pointing out why you wouldn't use their services. I do think that sort of attitude from salespeople (I don't like cold callers anyway) means that they are quite likely to have a shoddy attitude towards their work and do be equally dismissive if things go wrong. Basically, he wouldn't inspire you with confidence in their product, would he?

Re the running - do whatever suits you! Running on roads is probably quite beneficial if you are training for 10ks. However as any moderately decent runner knows, there is no need to pay for a personal trainer to hold your little hand. Go along to any local running club and you will get all the support you need for next to nothing, or if you have anything approaching talent, you will find yourself a coach down at the track, where the real running is done!

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 12-Jun-11 15:13:11

The poor guy was just trying to make small talk. Yes, what he said was inappropriate, but he sells double glazing! give the guy a break.

funnypeculiar Sun 12-Jun-11 15:15:07

Must be something about window salesman - we had one who quoted for us (& gave us the same line about only being able to give us a discount is we signed up there & then - yeah, right....) He told outrageously sexist & racist jokes, & worked on the assumption that I wouldn't understand anything beyond choosing the window colour.

Dh & I discussed complaining, but decided it was too OTT. But the guy's boss rang up a few weeks later to ask if we'd decided to follow the quote through, & DH told him why we wouldn't be proceeding with them (apart from the fact that their quote was crap!) - very pleasing to be able to dob him in.

BooyHoo Sun 12-Jun-11 15:19:24

i see i am in teh minority here but the guy was representing his company and i think teh company have a right to know that he is talking like this about people with MH issues whilst on duty. if it was down the pub on a friday night i dont think you could complain but he was in your home whilst working. i would ring them.

MadamDeathstare Sun 12-Jun-11 15:27:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 12-Jun-11 15:36:14

I don't think his behaviour was offensive, just in poor taste. Salesmen try to make conversation to keep you interested and build up a relationship, which he's obviously not very good at!
If you of a certain age and there are children, or toys, around, he's made an assumption that there might be a husband or partner around. It was a bit crap but not in any way offensive.
The nutters comment was obviously not good, but he's a sales rep not a health professional, and one who has clearly not much understanding or tolerance of mental health issues.
I wouldn't say this was worthly of complaint, but if you get a follow-up call (which I bet you a tenner you will) you could make sure the company knows why you didn't make the purchase.

Slightlyreluctantexpat Sun 12-Jun-11 15:40:16

Yep, I'd tell on him if you can be bothered.

His employers might be interested to know that he has completely misunderstood the equal opps legislation out there.

Or they might not care one jot.

Ask around your friends. Plenty of window companies operate properly and cheaply. They don't expect husbands to be present fgs, they don't make only-for-today kind of offers, they don't expect you to pay up-front, they don't spend two hours talking about their product.

Find a window company that has a local address. Get a quote. Pay once the windows are done.

FabbyChic Sun 12-Jun-11 15:45:56

I have mental health issues, and have been that sick that I have not been able to work, and I call myself a nutter.

Why not? I don't see it as derogatory at all. Sometimes I am a nutter but most of the time I'm normal!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: