Talk

Advanced search

I know i am but can i just have a wee rant..

(17 Posts)
ILoveGregoryHouse Sun 12-Jun-11 10:32:02

about to haul four kids including 7 month old with a bad cold on a two hour car journey to see mil for a couple of hours because she doesn't want to do the long drive. If we didn't do this, she wouldn't bother seeing her grandchildren. Now, I really like her but this is the one thing that gets up my nose. DH says I don't have to go but I do don't I, I want her to have a relationship with the kids. Thanks for listening, off to pack all the gubbins we need for trip.

TidyDancer Sun 12-Jun-11 10:33:15

Why doesn't she want to do the drive?

ILoveGregoryHouse Sun 12-Jun-11 10:39:33

It's too far and she'll get lost (we've lived here for years). Apparently. Really it's because we've been abroad for a while and her relationship with the kids isn't as strong as it is with the others who live closer. So she's protecting herself in a way by not making the effort. I know that sounds odd.

sunshineandshowers13 Sun 12-Jun-11 10:39:49

ILGH, we have same problem but its fil who doesnt really want to come - mil would be over in a shot grin
so we travel 150 mile round trip on windy country roads to be greeted by very happy mil and fil who barely raises his glance from the newspaper.
[sigh]
off to persuade kids it seems like a good idea. enjoy

LordOfTheFlies Sun 12-Jun-11 10:43:53

If you are doing all the travelling/making the effort then you should have choice when you go.Can you put it off till DC4 is better?

Also if you go to her you can leave when you see fit rather than waiting for her to go.wink
Or you or DH driving 2 hours to pick her up,bring her to you,drive her home,come back.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Sun 12-Jun-11 10:44:33

I have exactly same... Yanbu.

clappyhands Sun 12-Jun-11 10:46:05

yanbu (and mine is only 5 mins away, but always me to make the effort)

hey ho

Al0uiseG Sun 12-Jun-11 10:46:11

Fuck that! Stay home with the baby and let dh take the others. Have a peaceful day with a snuffly baby smile

Kiwimumm Sun 12-Jun-11 10:47:05

YANBU at all!! Jeez, shes one person!! Can't she make the trip to see 6 family members including her own son!!

SuePurblybilt Sun 12-Jun-11 10:50:05

You can miss one week surely?

ILoveGregoryHouse Sun 12-Jun-11 11:12:43

If we don't go today, it'll be another month due to other commitments. Got to take baby dd - she's only seen her three times since she was born and i'd feel churlish staying home and she'll sleep in the car hmm. Kiwimumm, that's what i think but then i don't have her ishoos. I'll probably be a far worse mil to some poor women, though.

kiki22 Sun 12-Jun-11 11:57:15

i think your right to be annoyed she should come over to you but it's just one of those things and i think you should be proud of yourself for putting your self out so your children can see there grandmother smile

You could maybe call her and say the babys ill but you would really like to see her and could she come over to you (bit of a guilt trip) smile

superjobeespecs Sun 12-Jun-11 12:05:14

i have a friend like this i live 40 mins across town from her and she has visited about 4 times in two years but i with my DD go from side to side maybe every couple of months or arrange meet ups in town etc. bloody lazy bints get on my wick. you are in no way BU your MIL would get on my tits.

diddl Sun 12-Jun-11 12:08:37

Why do you feel so obliged to go?

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Sun 12-Jun-11 12:13:06

I'm with the others who say send your dh with the others whilst u have snuggle time with the baby.

FlubbaBubba Sun 12-Jun-11 12:46:45

You have my sympathy and you are being a good DIL taking them. How old is your MIL? Is she scared of driving because of her age/eyesight/ selfishness ?

(see? I tried to be nice about a MIL thread, but couldn't maintain it)

perfumedlife Sun 12-Jun-11 12:51:12

Totally empahtis. Dh and I have to drive, drive 800 mile round trip to collect and return Mil if we want her to spend time with ds. She refuses to take the train or fly.

They are not close, as you can imagine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: