Talk

Advanced search

...and a bit poncy to be seeking spiritual nourishment?

(24 Posts)
lifechanger Sat 11-Jun-11 20:54:35

I have moved with work to the city in a 2nd floor flat, and am realising how much my non-religious 'soul' was nourished by my garden (own less urban home now rented out, DC grown and flown). There's something about watching the seasons change while weeding/pruning/smiling at the birds and the neighbours' cats which was so comforting, sort of 'grounding'.

I do walk in the park, try and make sure I notice small acts of city nature, like early morning foxes and blousy window boxes, but to be honest it's leaving me a bit bereft. I'm (finally) getting to like my job and don't want to leave it even though it entails spending hours and hours struggling across the city on the depths of the smelly tube, but god, do I have an urge to plant a tree/get a cat something to fill some sort of weird gap I never realised existed.

I AM being poncy, aren't I.

Punkatheart Sat 11-Jun-11 20:59:20

No, you're not. You are a thinking sensitive person who gained pleasure from the comfort of the seasons. You can grow things in pots even in your kitchen - not the same I know.

Can't get enough of nature....

Pelagia Sat 11-Jun-11 21:00:03

Ditch the tube and take the bus, sit on the top deck and you are at tree-and-great-architecture level.

Either YANBU or I am also a ponce but either way I understand!

worraliberty Sat 11-Jun-11 21:02:08

Can't you get a ground floor flat with a garden?

Pancakeflipper Sat 11-Jun-11 21:04:06

Not unreasonable. I get it. I need green around me to keep me sane. I don't know why. I have lived in amazin cities but I need woods, forests and moorland to keep me happy.

peggotty Sat 11-Jun-11 21:11:31

YANBU. Makes perfect sense. Could you get an allotment anywhere?

ScaredOfCows Sat 11-Jun-11 21:22:22

I would hate so much to live somewhere without a garden and trees, so I can 'get it' too.

MistressFrankly Sat 11-Jun-11 21:25:13

Definately try to get an allotment. I am on a list but they are rarer than rocking horse shit where i live.

Try hanging a bird feeder near a window. I have some regular birdy visitors who love my home made mealworm suprise grin I was sick of only seeing pigeons and it has really cheered me up to lure some more appealing feather friends.

And its not poncey. I have lived in a city for 12 years and i am still missing the greenery.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sat 11-Jun-11 21:30:29

I used to go running or walking daily around Regent's Park when I worked nearby, and later around Platt Fields Park when I lived in Manchester. Both had big ponds and I used to love observing the changes that happened with the seasons, the ponds freezing over and the ducks skidding on the ice in the Winter, the cygnets and ducklings in the Spring, the arrival and departure of the Canada Geese etc. I now live in rural Devon so have nature all around, but I probably got just as much from nature when I lived in cities too.

Are there any large parks around where you live/work? I find ones with a bit of water are best as you get lots of wildlife/birds. A daily lunchtime walk or jog has so many benefits. You can get back to nature but also get some fresh air/daylight/vitamin D into the bargain and get those endorphins flowing for a bit of a mood boost! grin

fluffles Sat 11-Jun-11 21:38:37

i live in the city without a garden and i find a 3 x a week morning running routine connects me to the seasons and weather and stuff... walking i'm sure would do the same, i'm sure you don't need to run. i go along the canal.

MistressFrankly Sat 11-Jun-11 21:53:48

I was in Platt Fields today realhousewife! Not a good day for peace and nature though as there is a music festival going on grin

Numberfour Sat 11-Jun-11 22:03:08

YANBU or poncey at all.

What about pot plants? I think a cat will get lonely with you being at work all day. PP's idea of going by bus instead of tube is a good idea!

lifechanger Sat 11-Jun-11 23:07:22

Thanks for the responses.

When I decide if I'm going to stay here for the long term future, I suppose I'll sell my home and buy one here, and yes, it will definitely have some outdoor space if possible. I'm near several nice parks and get to them whenever possible - which does help, you're all right. I wouldn't get a cat though - not in enough.

I will look into bus routes.

And buy some pots!

Browncoats Sun 12-Jun-11 00:31:00

Definitely look into bus routes. That's what I did. I also bought myself an iPod as it allowed me to block out the other noises and daydream a bit grin

thursday Sun 12-Jun-11 00:33:21

not poncy at all. i couldn't live in a city, i love to visit them but after a few days i feel totally overwhelmed and hemmed in. my SIL moved to a city and came back home (lake district) a few months later as it depressed her so much being concreted up.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sun 12-Jun-11 13:39:38

Mistress - Ah I used to live just round the corner! I miss dear old Manc. Is that the one that's been going a couple of years and is called Hairy Ferret or something weird?!

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sun 12-Jun-11 13:41:36

I also second getting the bus - so much cheaper to get just a bus pass than standard travelcard - and I hated the tube. Helped me get to know the city better too when I lived there, and top deck is great for people watching.

MistressFrankly Sun 12-Jun-11 22:14:52

Hahahahah hairy ferret grin Close - it was called Mad Ferret (said in dodgey manc accent). That one stopped and a new one called Parklife took its place. Same sort of thing - oodles of people geting drunk in the er, beautiful, manc summer (monsoon season again!) and falling in the duck ponds. Tis a glorious thing.

Louplet Sun 12-Jun-11 22:27:33

Hi

Could you try volunteering somewhere like this?

www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=DN32+0JR&n=10

Or there are lots of other local volunteer type groups which need gardening help. Or offer to help a local elderly person with their garden? Or put your name down for an allotment?

Window boxes are great and also herbs in kitchen.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sun 12-Jun-11 22:30:58

Mistress - oh no poor ducks! Though I'm sure those that jump in the ponds get their comeuppance - probably is awash with shopping trolleys and hypodermic needles - wouldn't fancy it myself no matter how much cider I'd had to drink!

Anyway, sorry OP about hijack! Me and mistress will just talk over you all amongst ourselves! grin

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sun 12-Jun-11 22:32:38

Oh and I've only just got it! Mad Ferret/ Mad fer it - gotcha!!!! How dense of me. Being seeing the sign for that "festival" for year and it went totally over my head... blush

MistressFrankly Mon 13-Jun-11 10:52:33

Yeah sorry to hijack grin

hahahaha yeah took me a while as doesnt really work with my Norfolk twang.

Anyway gardens plants nature....er yes i am with louplet. Have a look round for something to help out with and get your hands in the soil. You will feel way better.

cannydoit Mon 13-Jun-11 11:08:27

i use to do things that i called grass moments, just find a patch of grass and lie on it and look at the sky. always felt better after that was like i felt lighter or something. should start doing that again.

Adversecamber Mon 13-Jun-11 11:16:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now