Talk

Advanced search

To be slightly concerned about my neighbours?

(31 Posts)
TooManyBlossoms Sat 11-Jun-11 20:30:34

My house is on a corner, with a patch of communal grass in front of it. In front of this grass, each house on the corner has it's own parking space.

Yesterday, a neighbour had a huge caravan delivered, onto his parking space. We assumed they were going away for the weekend in it, loading it up etc - not a problem.

However, I'm a bit concerned that it may be a bit more permanent. Having had a sneaky nosy when I walked past, they've got an enormous tv in there, with a mains lead running from the house, and there were lights on inside the caravan last night. Today they've fixed an aerial onto the caravan - the sort you'd have on a house rather than a proper caravan aerial.

I'm all for live and let live as far as neighbours are concerned, but I'm not sure I like the idea of people "living" in a caravan right outside my house - if it does turn out to be a permanent arrangement, are they allowed to do that?

scurryfunge Sat 11-Jun-11 20:32:29

They are probably charging things up and playing with their new toy.

geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 11-Jun-11 20:33:17

How will it affect you though really, apart from the fact that you don't really like it?

SuePurblybilt Sat 11-Jun-11 20:34:30

My last house had a very similar set-up. A huband and wife split, he moved into the caravan - he was there for years before we moved in and is still there now, two years later. All his dosser friends visited him and wee'd outside the caravan. It was lovely. The Police were well aware but nothing ever happened.

That's not very helpful though, sorry. Hope that it's just that they are having people to stay for the bank holiday? Maybe leave it a fortnight and see what happens?

RevoltingPeasant Sat 11-Jun-11 20:35:37

Are they perhaps planning on having some work done, or something, and living in the caravan whilst that's going on?

Or maybe they are going away in the caravan shortly and are just trying it out?

Seems odd that they'd start living there if they have a perfectly good house.

AnyFuleKno Sat 11-Jun-11 20:36:21

Perhaps they have builders in?

squeakytoy Sat 11-Jun-11 20:36:35

If it is parked on his own private land, there aint anything you can do about it..

DoMeDon Sat 11-Jun-11 20:37:59

Can you speak to them and ask them what's going on? Not in a 'Tell me as I'm annoyed', more 'ooh lovely caravan, are you going away in it and charging it up? ' big smile <nosey>

I'm anti-caravan so would hate having one outside my house - eyesore.

TooManyBlossoms Sat 11-Jun-11 20:43:25

I agree it's not actually doing me any harm, except it just looks awful - I don't particularly want a huge caravan right outside my house <snobby emoticon>.

Where I live is an ex-forces estate, so we have a management company who waste no time in sending out snippy letters about the wrong type of fence/untidy gardens etc, so I can't imagine them being happy with it, especially as it's prohibited to store caravans on the estate. But again, not sure what exactly they could do about it!

I'll leave it a few days and see what happens...

nijinsky Sat 11-Jun-11 20:51:23

You need planning permission for a residential caravan. I suggest you wait and see if someone is actually living there and if you have concerns in a few weeks time, contact your local authority planning department to get them to investigate. They aren't slow to check up on this stuff and act, because planning applications mean lots of revenue for them, and if they let people live in sites without any, they'd lose out.

Earwiggo Sun 12-Jun-11 19:00:57

They may just be getting it ready to go away or using it as a den a bit like some blokes have a shed they dissapear to. If it's against the rules on your estate though I suggest you wait a few weeks and then either talk to them or complain, but I think you are being a bit fussy.

valiumredhead Sun 12-Jun-11 19:05:46

We aren't allowed caravans on our drives or gardens - I remember from looking through the deeds when we were buying our house.

Wait and see what happens, I'd be a bit twitchy too, if nothing else because of the noise from the telly..............

TooManyBlossoms Sun 12-Jun-11 19:23:05

Erm the caravan's gone - they must have been getting it ready to go away. Note to self: stop getting on snobby high horse over nothing blush.

valiumredhead Sun 12-Jun-11 19:23:36

Ha ha ha ha ha! grin

Salmotrutta Sun 12-Jun-11 19:28:10

grin

PorkChopSter Sun 12-Jun-11 19:33:58

grin

blushingm Sun 12-Jun-11 20:12:50

Blossoms - did you by any chance buy from Anningtons??? The mainenance/no caravan rule sound similar to ours

TooManyBlossoms Sun 12-Jun-11 20:25:19

Blushing Yes I did...do you live near me? smile

TooManyBlossoms Sun 12-Jun-11 20:26:34

I've just looked at your profile and no you don't. Shame really, I'd love a good moan about the hitleresque management company.

blushingm Sun 12-Jun-11 21:09:54

ooooh moan away!!!!!! I blinking hate paying them - their fees are more tha half the annual charge and they do bugger all!!!!!

Where are you?

Arabrevolution Sun 12-Jun-11 21:11:40

They are free to do as they please

TooManyBlossoms Sun 12-Jun-11 21:18:34

I'm in Yorkshire smile.

When I originally bought the house, 11 years ago, the roads were unadopted, which, I was told, was the reason we had a management company. However the council adopted the roads several years ago, but we still have to pay.

I own the house, it's freehold. But I still have to pay the bloody management co for doing nothing. Oh, I forgot, they do occasionally run a lawnmower over the communal grassy bits, while ignoring the huge weeds in the "flower beds".

I remortgaged the house a while back, and had to ask their permission to do so. To remortgage MY house shock.

I refused to pay the charge once, as the estate was in such a bad state. The next thing I knew I had a letter from my mortgage co saying I either paid the charge or they'd add it on to the mortgage.

The best one was when I received a letter from them asking for a spare key for my house, in case of a flood or other emergency...now I can understand that if it was a flat in a block, but a house on my own land? Erm I think not!

So, is your management co as crap? grin

blushingm Sun 12-Jun-11 21:20:13

and, when we bought they said 'oh it's about £45 per year'.........................April comes and it's more like £150 and it's over £250 now with more households confused

blushingm Sun 12-Jun-11 21:25:56

they sound the same load of - i bought the house 12 years ago and have since remortgagaed - i had to ask 'permission' too. We get the occasional mow but none of the supposed litter picking - our roads were adopted too but the council refused to adopt th paths as they were in such a poor state. The man co 'contracted' someone to fix them but made them worse and now there is apparently no money to fix them.

what i hate it paying for a private sewer but also having to pay welsh water for sewerage as the private sewer is linked to the public sewer - same with the drains

i haven't been asked for a key to them house though - i'd def tell them to bugger off!!!!

blushingm Sun 12-Jun-11 21:26:37

same load of cowboys

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: