Talk

Advanced search

Hard sell at nursery open day, would it put you off or motivate you?

(8 Posts)
howzaboutthat Sat 11-Jun-11 18:10:45

I went to an open day at a local nursery recently.

It ran from 10-2.

When I met the manager at about 12:30 there was a big hard sell about how if I signed up that (i.e. before 2PM) I would get the first week free and a half price registration fee.

I know a nursery is a business, not obliged to pick that particular nursery, they have to make their money somehow blah did blah.

But rather than making their nursery/the offer seem more attractive it just really put me off. I would have thought a good nursery would understand that it's a big decision to make and allow people to take their time without pressuring them.

Am I the only person who thinks like this? Would it put you off or make you more keen?

catsareevil Sat 11-Jun-11 18:16:14

This would put me off. IME good nurseries are full with a waiting list so dont incentivise people to sign up.

meditrina Sat 11-Jun-11 18:18:35

Definitely put me off.

As would holding an open day, tbh. I'd want to see a nursery on an ordinary day when the children are there. A good nursery needs no marketing other than what the (satisfied) parents say about it spontaneously.

maxpower Sat 11-Jun-11 18:20:01

I would get the feeling they were desperate for custom - not nice.

howzaboutthat Sat 11-Jun-11 18:28:04

Thanks, that's interesting.

Hadn't thought about the open day aspect either actually. We mainly went for the free bouncy castle blush

newshoes121 Sat 11-Jun-11 18:41:31

sounds like there must be something underlyingly wrong with the place. I wouldn't rush into anything like a nursery, check around and like it has been said above listen to what the parents that use it say

redskyatnight Sat 11-Jun-11 19:08:50

Has the nursery just opened a new branch (or was this indeed a new nursery)? Know that DC's old nursery (which was very popular with a waiting list) held an open day when they opened another branch close by. So not necessarily a doom and gloom situation - might be something very positive!

Stangirl Sat 11-Jun-11 20:48:32

Would put me right off. Good nurseries have waiting lists. The best one near me won't even show you round until you've registered and a place has come up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: