Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is DP... you decide!!

(64 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Sat 11-Jun-11 17:42:52

we currently have a shit chesterfeild like this but in red - which we got from freecycle as old sofa was knackered.

i hate it, the chairs are uncomfy and its smelly, doesnt fit in our odd shape sitting room

I would love to buy something all soft and lovely like this but DP says no

but MN can decide, new sofa... or not?

Witchofthenorth Sat 11-Jun-11 17:49:18

New sofa........without a doubt smile

HeidiKat Sat 11-Jun-11 17:51:21

DP is BVU, that first sofa you linked to is hideous, get a new one immediately.

OnlyWantsOne Sat 11-Jun-11 17:51:21

he wants me to point out he went and collected the ones we have - a 3 nhour job..

i must have been busy at home bf our baby hmm

DoMeDon Sat 11-Jun-11 17:52:41

Why does he say no?

Witchofthenorth Sat 11-Jun-11 17:52:54

And his point is? confused

LadyGoneGaga Sat 11-Jun-11 17:53:02

To be honest the new sofa you have linked to is also hideous. So YABU. But so is he.

diddl Sat 11-Jun-11 17:53:14

I don´t that particular one, and so many loose cushions can be annoying,but why does your partner say no?

If it´s because he doesn´t like that one, I agree with him tbh.

Witchofthenorth Sat 11-Jun-11 17:53:15

Tell him new sofa smile

allhailtheaubergine Sat 11-Jun-11 17:54:02

I like the chesterfield.

TeddyMcardle Sat 11-Jun-11 17:54:40

That new sofa you linked to is really really horrible.

Hassled Sat 11-Jun-11 17:55:44

I like old battered Chesterfields, but maybe not in red. And especially not if it smells. But that new one isn't too special either, it has to be said.

BornInAfrica Sat 11-Jun-11 17:56:09

Truly the new sofa is somewhere beyond frighteningly hideous. The old one ain't much better but ffs don't do anything rash until you've had a taste transplant.

OnlyWantsOne Sat 11-Jun-11 17:56:54

well... not that new one mayb, Id like a sofa like that in cream

DP says no coz there isnt any thing wrong with the ones we have now... aparet from they are manky and make my sitting room look like a conservative club from the 1960s

thisisyesterday Sat 11-Jun-11 17:56:58

well... it's hard to say. do you have the money to buy a new one? are you renowned for changing your mind about sofas lol?
why is he saying no?
how will a new suite fit any better in your room?

KingofHighVis Sat 11-Jun-11 17:57:14

Not sure why that one would fit if your Chesterfield doesn't. Plus I agree with LGG - not really to my taste either.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jun-11 17:57:50

I love Chesterfields but couldn't bear a smelly one - can you track down the source of the ming and clean it - get leather cleaner, dry clean the feather cushions, wash the underneath.

It would be lovely cleaned up with a whole load of nice union jack (ubiquitous unfortunately) cushions on it - play up the red.

LuckyMrsT Sat 11-Jun-11 17:58:53

The new one looks comfortable, which a sofa has to be. I was lucky enough to be single when I chose my sofa - a massive bright red velvety one. DH is far too modern and tasteful to ever have allowed it.

5inthebed Sat 11-Jun-11 18:00:47

I certainly wouldn't get a cream sofa, especially if you have little children.

I do lik the one you linked, and if you can afford it, thn why not.

OnlyWantsOne Sat 11-Jun-11 18:00:50

the cusions in the sofa we have now are foam, and it was stored in an old farm shed for their son - who didnt want it, for ages it stank of horse shit and fag smoke.

It would fit better because atm its a 3 seater sofa and two chairs, I want to buy one sofa, for DP and I to sit on together and snuggle, I cant sit on the sofa atm as its so low to the ground it hurts when I get up etc, esp if DD is asleep on me!!

RedHotPokers Sat 11-Jun-11 18:03:18

Think you need a new sofa. I have to favour comfort over look, cos I love flopping on the sofa.

Could you not compromise and buy a new, slightly squishier leather sofa?

Sanesometimes1 Sat 11-Jun-11 18:20:30

Think i would rather sit on the floor than the old sofa tbh so YADNBU in wanting a new one, however........the new one is a bit hmm

OnlyWantsOne Sat 11-Jun-11 18:32:39

He wants me to point out that we have two kids under 5 a labrador two cats and he thinks a new one will get trashed in 5 minutes and is as such a waste of money.

vouvrey Sat 11-Jun-11 18:36:56

Is this more about the snuggling than the sofa?

AtYourCervix Sat 11-Jun-11 18:41:26

a new one will get trashed. go to ikea and get a nice cheapy one with 3 sets of covers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: