Talk

Advanced search

to just want these numbskulls to do what they're supposed to do when they're supposed to do it?

(10 Posts)
toospottytofly Sat 11-Jun-11 13:16:38

We had double glazing fitted last Easter. Last December the back door catch broke leaving us unable to lock the door. We called a locksmith out at midnight - he was able to lock it but said not to try unlocking it because we wouldn't be able to shut it again. As we had a ten-year guarantee we phoned the company the next day.

It is now June. Here is the cycle we've been going through. We phone, they say they can't find us on the system, and say that they'll call back. On the rare occasions they do, they leave a message on our home phone (they've been given our mobile and work details but 'forget' to update the system). We return their call giving the name of the person who called us. We get told she doesn't work there. She then calls back on our landline and leaves a message. The call gets closed after three attempts as we're uncontactable. And so it continues.

In the meantime we've been continuing to get cold calls from them. We tell them why we don't need new double glazing, but ask them to help us to get the back door fixed. They promise to get someone to call us back. They don't.

In April our window broke, so we called again. Because they were getting £300 out of us to fix it, miraculously they were able to get it fixed last week (only took 2 months and two days off work because they failed to turn up on the first appointment). They were supposed to do the door at the same time but weren't told.

I've spent hours on the phone, we've taken days off work, and still we're getting nowhere. I've now told them that they will get us a date to fix the bloody thing within an hour or I'm going to the press.

So, AIBU to want them to just do their bloody job and to send a case of wine by way of an apology?

scurryfunge Sat 11-Jun-11 13:18:38

Name and shame, they have had plenty of time.

FabbyChic Sat 11-Jun-11 13:20:36

Send them a letter before action. Tell them that unless they fix your door as per their guarantee you will get someone else in to fix it and then take them to court for the costs.

toospottytofly Sat 11-Jun-11 13:27:42

It's Anglian. I had read that their customer service was bad, but not as awful as the others. I chose the best of a bad bunch, or so I thought.

scurryfunge Sat 11-Jun-11 13:32:34

Glass and Glazing Federation. See if they can help

stoatie Sat 11-Jun-11 13:34:45

Keep at them and if you get nowhere email CEO. This is why when we had our double glazing done we went with local firm (good reputation, matched prices of big companies) and as I reminded them - they were based in the street behind my house and if we had any problems I would turn up in person to get things fixed grin - actually not had any problems 6 years on

toospottytofly Sat 11-Jun-11 13:49:16

We've had a call back from a manager. He claims that the system says that the part's in (we heard this two months ago) and that he's going to email the two managers in Basingstoke to tell one of them to call us on Monday. We've heard this all before. Great suggestion to email the CEO and I'll also try the Glass and Glazing Federation if we don't hear anything. I hate being lied to and general incompetance. Still think I deserve wine! grin I've been very patient and have only yelled a few times (so far).

fgaaagh Sat 11-Jun-11 14:09:43

Watchdog on the BBC might also be able to help.

A threat to start posting full details of your woes (with dates, names, places - verifiable information which is FACTUAL) on review websites and/or Facebook. With the firm information that you've been reasonable (give examples) but are no longer willing to resolve this amicably.

Funnily enough the above two threats got me somewhere with an insurance company whereas being polite / reasonable myself did not. And I've worked in some really, really shitty customer service roles so my own patience is not easy to wear out - I understand how long things take, stuff gets lost etc. But there is a limit.

Fight fire with fire, frankly. Firms will do a lot more if they think they're going to get their name bandied around in a negative manner, much more so than resolving one pissed off customer's issue.

fgaaagh Sat 11-Jun-11 14:11:16

You might also want to write in with some of your woes to one of the well-read consumer rights journalists - that Margaret woman for the Guardian, etc.

I'm serious with these suggestions, by the way.

fgaaagh Sat 11-Jun-11 14:13:11

Dibben. That was the surname i'd forgot:

Ms. Margaret Dibben, their Consumer Expert:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/margaretdibben

The consumer section of the Money Saving Expert forum is also another good location to come up with ideas about shaming them into actioning repairs correctly, for the record.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now