Talk

Advanced search

To want to take the Scrap Iron mans loudspeaker...

(13 Posts)
CoffeeDodger Sat 11-Jun-11 12:51:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cattleprod Sat 11-Jun-11 13:00:38

Are you living in 1910?!!

Bluemoonrising Sat 11-Jun-11 13:00:49

Is that ten times in ten minutes, or ten times in ten years?

You can't blame a man for trying to earn a living.

CoffeeDodger Sat 11-Jun-11 13:01:43

CoffeeDodger Sat 11-Jun-11 13:02:11

AuntieMonica Sat 11-Jun-11 13:04:36

we had a thread about this a few weeks back, i think scrap men (as in collectors, not men ready for scrapping, although they well be one and the same) have had a meeting and decided to revive 'ye olden dayes' and use loud hailers and bells

i rather like it, turn the radio up and you can't hear him wink

Punkatheart Sat 11-Jun-11 13:25:21

It beats the man who came up my drive and stole two radiators we had outside when redecorating!

strandedbear Sat 11-Jun-11 14:20:21

Punkatheart Sat 11-Jun-11 15:19:00

Loudhailers doing advertisiing or asking for goods in the street are illegal. Ice creams vans and people who apply for special temporary licences are the only ones allowed to do it. That's the legal part.

But much as I commend people for working, it is about thinking of others. 7am? 10 times in a short period? Not acceptable. In fact, the noise pollution officers are clamping down on this very thing in certain places. You need to contact your council if it is impacting on your life.....

Punkatheart Sat 11-Jun-11 15:24:23

Funny site this one but it has some of the facts:

www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111045

xStarGirl Sat 11-Jun-11 15:33:33

Gaaargh. The rag-and-bone man round here is so LOUD. If I have my windows open (which I inevitably do, as he only comes round in good weather) and DS is asleep, DS does not remain asleep.

We live in a tiny little village FFS, there's barely any road traffic, you don't need to turn your loudspeaker up to eleven!

Does make me laugh though, haven't had a scrapman come round since we lived up North. Back then they just went RA-BOOOOOOOOO incoherently. The guy round here rattles off a list of white goods, then goes "The scrap man's about, so come on out!" Makes me die of laughter every time.

WorzselMummage Sat 11-Jun-11 15:40:09

We have a skip on our drive atm and they are round it like flys round shit.. at least 3 a day come down our cul de sac for a look.

Must be really annoying for them to find it's only full of garden waste and plastic kids toys.

Punkatheart Sat 11-Jun-11 15:45:10

The skip does attract them. I have had thefts from our drive - in particular two guys with London accents who for once, I didn't challenge. But one afternoon a very sad-faced eastern european man rang the bell and asked if there was any copper wire or anything in the skip. I told him no and he said: 'I am small man, small car and small ambition. I just need to live but thank you for being polite to me.' His manners were impeccable. I gave him some fresh eggs but he would not accept money. He was very proud and wanted to earn.

But people yelling? I would not put up with that....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: