Talk

Advanced search

to think that we will never get 50:50 representation in Parliament

(162 Posts)
celadon Sat 11-Jun-11 07:55:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HumanBehaviour Sat 11-Jun-11 08:12:02

Can be done, 46,4% are women in the Swedish parliament so getting there. http://www.indexmundi.com/sweden/gender-parity-in-national-parliament.html

celadon Sat 11-Jun-11 08:13:29

HumanBehaviour Sat 11-Jun-11 08:20:34

The election system is completely different to start with.

Cheap nurseries and stronger parental rights I think so that women can work without feeling guilty (not that the guilt ever disappears completely).

And hard work.

mdowdall Sat 11-Jun-11 08:35:04

OP - in what way does men making all the decisions disadvantage women?

fgaaagh Sat 11-Jun-11 08:37:57

There's a Swedish woman that works on the floor below me, I've overheard her talking about childcare in Scan. countries compared to here - she couldn't get over the lack of support for dads sharing the leave and the (in her words) "expensive and crap nurseries", although this was a few years ago now.

Basically she was mightily disappointed with the provision of things which enable working women to fulfil their potential.

I don't know her too well, but I'd be interested to find out if she still has this really poor impression since she's now been in the country for years (and not left to go back to give her DCs a better start - it can't be that bad here, can it? <hopeful smile>)

fgaaagh Sat 11-Jun-11 08:39:16

(sorry, her experience of these "expensive and crap" childcare places was a few years ago - hers are now teens, if not early 20s if i'm not mistaken, so quite a different experience of raising DCs today, i'd hope.. i suspect not though sad)

celadon Sat 11-Jun-11 08:40:45

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 08:47:36

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 08:52:18

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 08:53:42

Primalscream Sat 11-Jun-11 08:59:27

er, the NHS was started by a man ( Nye Bevan )
Abortion was legalised by a man in 1967 ( plenty on men involved in passing that law )

off the top of my head -

mdowdall Sat 11-Jun-11 09:02:40

On the rape conviction thing PrinceHumperdink, it is low in the UK because in the UK we place a massive emphasis on innocent until proven guilty. It is hard to get a conviction for any crime as anybody who spends some time on jury service quickly finds out.

mdowdall Sat 11-Jun-11 09:03:47

Of course, we did have a women leader a few years back. Thatcher I think her name was. Did a great deal for women lol

mdowdall Sat 11-Jun-11 09:04:08

* woman

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 09:06:46

HushedTones Sat 11-Jun-11 09:08:10

leares Sat 11-Jun-11 09:10:27

Why does it matter the gender proportions in Parliament. If the electorate thought it was important then they would vote on gender grounds in order to increase the proportions but they they aren't on the whole.

Primalscream Sat 11-Jun-11 09:11:33

It's ridiculous to suggest we need females to represent 'womens issues' - otherwise these issues will not be dealt with.

You might as well say we need a disabled MP to represent disabilty issues, or a homeless Albanian refugee to represent immigration -
or a fox to represent animal rights

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 09:14:02

meditrina Sat 11-Jun-11 09:15:24

If you think that your gender makes a difference to how you carry out a representational role, and that having more women us an end in itself, then presumably you support Sarah Palin?

To me, there will always remain more important issues when choosing representatives.

And the Thatcher example shows that it it possible to reach the top. Despite the vociferousness here, she was not universally reviled. And she had two things which I would like to see more of; industrial experience (chemist ICI) and that of parenting (twins).

gerafle Sat 11-Jun-11 09:16:59

Nothing should be done about it, let the people decide who they want from the candidates who have put themselves forward. To impose a quota or anything of that order would damage democracy in this country.

Thistledew Sat 11-Jun-11 09:19:14

Good example Primal. Yes, I think we would have a much more humane immigration system if people making the laws on it had felt its affects.

I doubt you would get anyone legislating for indefinite detention if they or their loved ones had suffered it.

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 09:25:45

Thistledew Sat 11-Jun-11 09:42:04

Indeed, Prince.

Or locking up children and separating them from their parents.

But seeing as we are talking about women, what examples are there of things that women would not legislate for?

How about cuts to services for disabled people, as opposed to a war in Libya?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: