Talk

Advanced search

To get annoyed with my DH's oneupmanship?

(5 Posts)
Feggy Fri 10-Jun-11 19:56:15

So, my 8 mo DS got a cold and due to the catarrah, he's not sleeping very well and wakes upset in the night - which is not unexpected. As I'm still on maternity, I've been the one to get up in the night as DH works. It's been 3 interrupted nights now and I've developed this cold and a stinking headache to boot.
I asked DH to bath DS tonight as bending makes my head hurt and he promptly pulled out his (recurring) sore knee problem and also mentioned his hard day at work and the fact that he thought he might have a cold coming on. So I ended up bathing DS yet again, DH then does his last bottle and cuddle and I get left with clearing up bottles and mopping the floor (we're weaning so it's pretty messy!).
AIBU to want just ONE night off where I get the cuddles and not the cleaning and mopping?!

duffybeatmetoit Fri 10-Jun-11 20:21:24

YADNBU. My DH is exactly the same. Whenever I'm ill, he's always worse than I am and therefore buggers off to bed leaving me to carry on. You know the kind thing - I have a cold, he has flu. I have flu, he has pneumonia. To be fair when I had meningitis he wasn't worse but really, really tired. I have come close to yelling "it's not a competition" when at a particularly low ebb but so far have restrained myself.

Have a wine or wine wine wine - and leave the mess for him to deal with when he's not so bone idle feeling up to it.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 10-Jun-11 20:30:39

Well, he only works 5 days a week, I presume? So that's 2 nights off for you. And don't you dare accept any wriggling out on his part!

Clockchange Fri 10-Jun-11 20:35:45

YANBU, men do tend to do this! The day after I gave birth to DD1 my dh was moaning on the phone to my parents saying how tired HE was, after being up all night during MY labour after being at work all day! My mum gave him pretty short shrift I'm pleased to say!grin

trixie123 Fri 10-Jun-11 20:50:07

the tiredness / most ill olympics seems to be an almost inescapable element of parenthood. you can buy plastic medals in wilkos - i suggest pointedly awarding him one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: