Talk

Advanced search

To be browsing AIBU threads on the train instead of reading worthy novel

(17 Posts)
cymruoddicatref Fri 10-Jun-11 18:15:36

Friday night. Still have about 40mins of journey to go. Squished into seat next to a very large man. Have carried fat new novel be johnathan frantzen back and forward everyday this week and still haven't started it. Thinking of wine and home.

Definitely NBU

I have real books on my Kindle nestling side-by-side with fanfiction, when I'm tired and just want some thing fun I know what I end up reading! Sometimes what you want is a bit of escapism, and reading 'worthy' books can be so dull smile

grovel Fri 10-Jun-11 18:20:33

No.
I write much better than Frantzen.

LittleMissFlustered Fri 10-Jun-11 18:21:30

Ah fanfic. I spent years addicted. I daren't go back, really.

Must. Not. Go. Looking.

Not unreasonable at all OP, carry on!

ZXEightyMum Fri 10-Jun-11 18:22:28

YANBU. I browse MN instead of interacting with my children at the weekend when out and about and let DH do it all.

I often wonder if I will become a subject of a judgy AIBU myself for this very reason grin

LittleMissFlustered Fri 10-Jun-11 18:22:37

What genre of FF do you peruse MrsD, out of curiosity?

LittleMissFlustered I am mainly filthy minded slash addict I'm afraid, from various TV fandoms, primarily Supernatural, but also Hawaii 5-O, Sherlock, Merlin, various Stargates, Criminal Minds and White Collar...

cymruoddicatref Fri 10-Jun-11 18:37:25

I have never read fan fiction. What is it? Is it when fans carry the story on eg Harry potter and Ron having a relationship etc? I am very behind the times on all this.

LittleMissFlustered Fri 10-Jun-11 18:56:18

MrsD Thank heavens for that, nice to know I'm not alone in my filthy-minded slashiness grin I'm an HP Snupin slasher I am afraid. I have had therapy of course, but it was hard to walk away <snortle>

LittleMissFlustered Fri 10-Jun-11 18:57:12

Ooh, and Janto from TW too, though that's canon so perfectly allowable grin

LittleMissFlustered Fri 10-Jun-11 19:01:22

Sorry cymru yes, and no. Fan fiction is what it says on the tin, fiction within a given genre/universe written by fans, usually sticking to canon, though sometimes with a MarySue and/or original character thrown in for good measure. Slash fiction is where a fan writes fiction based on usually out-of-character gay/lesbian couplings within the chosen universe.

I tried reading MN on the train to work this evening in your honour cymru, but for some reason Kindle doesn't like the log in page, even on the mobile MN site. Sorry! Just had to carry on with Game of Thrones instead.

LittleMissFlustered There's a few of us on here, but we rarely start our own threads, just seem to hijack other peoples every now and again. Oh and Snarry makes me happy grin

BoiledFrog Sat 11-Jun-11 02:20:52

Where is the best place to find fan fiction?

Archive of Our Own (also known as Ao3) Reasonably good quality (or so I've found so far)
FanFiction.net and tv.adultfanfiction.net/ AdultFanFiction.net - slightly more dubious quality (some good stuff mixed in with some truly awful bad!fic)

There are a lot of archiving sites dedicated to particular fandoms, but without knowing what you're interested in it's pointless to list them smile

Then there's Delicious which is a tagging/bookmarking site, and LiveJournal both of which you'll have to search by fic and fandom. Look for communities on LJ that post fic in whatever area you're interested.

Apart from that just googling will pull up links.

LittleMissFlustered Sat 11-Jun-11 09:19:40

I used to live and die on LJ. And, Snarry is just so wrong. However, you're not shipping Harmony so all can be well <snortle>

TadlowDogIncident Sat 11-Jun-11 09:49:37

The Jonathan Franzen is awful so YANBU!

BoiledFrog Sat 11-Jun-11 21:53:41

Thankyou muchly mrsdimitri, I hardly dare look in case I become addicted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now