Talk

Advanced search

Or are my friends neighbours right ?

(12 Posts)
Ray81 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:36:40

I don't want to give much away tbh because these neighbours may be on here but basicaly i think my friend of 27 yrs has the neighbours from hell.

Last summer my friend had to ask them to stop doing something at 9 at night because it kept waking her daughter who was poorly.The next day she was TOLD that she should apologise to them or they would sue her, she didnt she got some letters from a solicitor and responded the solicitor must have decided not to pursue it because a few weeks later she had a visit from the police and because she admitted saying it they tried to give her a caution, she refused to accept it and was taken to court. In court the neighbours were very agressive as were there 'witnesses' and the judges saw through them and she was found not quilty.
Anyway in the meantime and since the court case she has been called names in the street and her cars have been damaged several times.
So she got CCTV which only points at her cars on her drive nowhere else, cue call from police, neighbours complaining, police have told her she is well within her rights to have this. They called a meeting with ALL the street which my friend went to and called me in tears because basically they questioned what they were doing with the images of the children in the street. WTF. there are no images of children other then hers getting into their car on the camera and the police have all the footage too because there was some criminal damage to another vehicle and they wanted to see if they could see anything on there.I think we all know what they were saying about her and her DH in a roundabout way.
Basically this meeting ended up being a major bashing of my friend and her husband and the police were present but allowed it to happen.

She is so upset as you can imagine, these are the neighbours from hell right? would anyone else be this paranoid about CCTV if it was clearly pointing at cars?
she is afraid to be in her house on her own so i go round whenever i can but i work so cant go all the time, she doesnt want to leave her house if they are in the street incase she gets abuse and the police basically have told her that there isnt realy anything they can do other then this meeting, although they took her to court because she swore and guess what the judges were appalled that it got that far.

Also does anyone have any advise.

Tahnkyou in advance

Ray81 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:38:41

Sorry some of my post disapeared. They gave her abuse tlast summer and she swore at them back. the next morning they demanded she apologise

squeakytoy Fri 10-Jun-11 16:40:24

because she admitted saying it they tried to give her a caution, she refused to accept it and was taken to court

Well, it does sound as though she wasnt entirely innocent in all of this fiasco... as it sounds like she went round there at 9pm shouting the odds, and being abusive....

PerryCombover Fri 10-Jun-11 16:40:31

sounds weird to me

given a caution from the police for asking someone to turn music down

whatever next? what is the world coming to?

PerryCombover Fri 10-Jun-11 16:44:43

sounds like they are both to blame

if she takes a step back hopefully they will too

if someone came to my house swearing and being abusive at 9pm I would be fairly upset with them i think
people dislike being filmed without their permission

Ray81 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:54:36

No she didnt she asked them to stop doing what they were doing they shouted and swore at her she swore back. even the 'witnesses' admitted that was the way it happened. Minus the swearing on neigbours behalf ifyswim.

She has has problems before that were the Husband of the neighbour threatened to 'knock her out' because of a fence and also the man they had paid to do the fence. Understandably he wouldnt do it after that. This was because they(neighbour) wanted it done a a specfic way and my friend didnt agree.

I realy dont think it is my friend i have witnessed some of this behaviour, Staring at her in her house when they didnt realise i was there, sticking their fingers up at her and calling her names again whilst looking in her window when my friend hasnt done anything.

She has kept herself to herself since court. Their children go to the same nursery on the same day once a week and my friend gets another friend to drop off her DC so she doesnt have to see her. she even keeps her curtains closed so they cannot look in. I dont know what else she can do.

Ray81 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:56:07

rather then discussing it like an adult he threatened her my friend was prepared to compromise on the fence but he wanted it dont HIS way.

helenthemadex Fri 10-Jun-11 17:03:38

it does sound as though they dont get on and it has esculated.

What I would suggest your friend does is log every single incident and note if there witnesses to any incident, and report it and keep reporting it. she has a right to feel safe in her own home and should not be abused in any way

maybe also consider a written complaint about the meeting detailing what happened and her grievances, and how she now feels this has caused the abuse etc to esculate

redexpat Fri 10-Jun-11 18:01:51

I think your friend should start keeping a diary of these incidents.

ashamedandconfused Fri 10-Jun-11 18:41:31

yes she should log every single incident including details of any other witnesses present

they do indeed sound like neighbours from hell

somethingwitty82 Fri 10-Jun-11 22:10:22

The sad reality is there is really little you can do with scum like this, other than play exactly to the rules and document everything, never engage without a witness or recording.

And report everything to the police and keep a record.

My heart goes out to your friend, there is nothing worse than feeling unsafe in your own home

annielouisa Fri 10-Jun-11 22:30:29

What was the fence argument about? We get on with our neighbours but were a bit miffed when we returned home from hols to find the had the fencing redone with the tidy side facing into their garden the back of the fence is messy and looks into our garden.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: