Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling really sad at the thought that DS1 will probably never get a job?

(36 Posts)
TotallyUtterlyDesperate Thu 09-Jun-11 20:44:15

DS1 is 21 and has ASD and learning difficulties. He is a really sweet lad (most of the time) and tries very hard to make the most of himself.

However, our local County Council are closing everything down that he does - various training placements and so on - and soon he will have nothing. He has been doing three month's work experience in a local shopping centre and he has loved every minute. I think that they have enjoyed having him there too. We had hoped that they might take him on really part-time for a small wage, but they have told us that every job they advertise - cleaning, security, desk - has 100s of applications from graduates. So what chance has our DS of ever getting a job? He hasn't got the ability to get on his bike (cannot coordinate himself to ride one) and find a job or set up his own business. He is like a little boy in his head, but when he really loves something, then he will pull the stops out!

Why, oh, why are those at the CC closing everything for Young Adults with "mild" disabilities? I could weep!

Riveninside Thu 09-Jun-11 20:46:04

Its shocking and wrong

Northernlurker Thu 09-Jun-11 20:47:41

How very difficult. What about local charities? Any mileage in asking around for volunteer opportunities at least?

AfterTheGoldRush Thu 09-Jun-11 20:50:55

DD2 has autism and mild learning disabilities, her learning age is about 11 and she is 19. she is doing basic hair and beauty at the local FE. I am hoping they can keep her on for another years to put off the inevitability of joblessness.
like your son, DD tries very hard....her social skills are good but she is very loud when she laughs and thinks every one is her "mate". i am afraid she will be taken advantage of and the thought of any one making fun of her or being rotten makes me so angry. i have to keep a lid on my feelings....i could easily just go and thump folk sometimes.

i was at a Early Years ed expo a few weeks ago and Mencap were there....spoke to them and they said they help young adults like our children.

and yes...i could weep sometimes...and hell fire i still weep!

MarioandLuigi Thu 09-Jun-11 20:53:32

My DS is only 4 and has ASD and MLD and its the one thing that makes me so sad, that he may not have a job/family etc. Its so sad and it makes me cry even when I think about it too much, so I try not to.

It shouldnt be like this sad

TotallyUtterlyDesperate Thu 09-Jun-11 20:55:44

I think he might get some more voluntary work, but what he really needs now is the self-esteem from earning a wage, no matter how small! In the present recession, I can only see that it will become even worse for people like our children with disabilities. We worry ourselves sick about how he will manage when we are no longer around. He is not severe enough to need full-time care, but could not cope on his own.

TotallyUtterlyDesperate Thu 09-Jun-11 20:56:36

Yes, he loves babies and young children very much and wants to be a father one day - but I just can't see it happening for him sad

cybbo Thu 09-Jun-11 20:57:45

What about local schools- they are usually very inclusive in their employment of people with learning disabilities- we have a lovely girl who helps out at lunch times. I think she volunteers at a charity shop after she finishes her lunch shift with us

Yep, got all this coming up, dd is 12 with asd and ds is 10 with asd.

Everything has been stopped due to lack of funding, remploy has gone, MIND which is a mental health charity will probably go, there isn't anything here for them.

However two of our supermarkets are very good at employing people with disabilities, I was served by a girl with LD's in Morrisons today in fact, made me smile when she diligently counted my change into my hand, in fact most of their trolley/cleaning and a few of the cafe workers have LD's. Asda is another one which actively employs people with disabilities, TESCO does too but mainly trolley staff from what i've seen.

troisgarcons Thu 09-Jun-11 21:02:25

Please don't be so down, there is a niche for everyone in this world. Don't take it the wrong way (my eldest has LD) but a lot of companies do proactively employ people with LDs. As has been said, most of the supermarkets do.

I spoke to Connections today and they have a whole catalogue (well they do locally) of employers who will place LD people.

2BoysTooLoud Thu 09-Jun-11 21:02:38

Supermarkets often do employ people with learning difficulties. Would he be happy working for Tescos or others? Would it be worth contacting shops/ supermarkets etc?
I wish you well.

2BoysTooLoud Thu 09-Jun-11 21:03:18

cross posts -sorry!

WetAugust Thu 09-Jun-11 21:07:09

I agree with Apocalypse - try a large supermarket. Our ASDA has several staff with ASD. You can use the guaranteed interview approach too if applying for a job.

With the supermarkets a good way to get in is to apply for just weekend or Christmas work and then ask to be put on their waiting list for a premanent poat - that's what DS1 did. He worked Christmas and was offered a full-time job tghe following March - after all they have invested in training so are keen to employ former temp staff.

Good luck. My DS2 is ASD - he'll have trouble too.

tinkgirl Thu 09-Jun-11 21:31:23

he will come under the Connexions Service until he is 25, they usually have really good links with other organisations who will be able to help. In our area we have about 7 or 8 different organisations / charities who can offer either supported employment or work experience in all different vocational areas.

ivykaty44 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:37:27

but they have told us that every job they advertise - cleaning, security, desk - has 100s of applications from graduates. So what chance has our DS of ever getting a job?

You need to explain that a graduate will move on, whereas your lad will stay put and therefore worth employing as otherwise they will need to keep spending time interviewing for new staff.

I do wonder though if this shopping center have taken advantage?

I have neighbours with a ds with special needs and he did a few trainign things after leaving school and one care home he did work expereance did take advantage. he now works in a hotel back of house assisting housekeeping.
He loves the social side and works four hours a day, though now does more hours on a regular basis. His social life has also improved a bit.

I hope your ds does get given a chance

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 09-Jun-11 21:42:15

I worry so much about things like this in the future, I have a ds aged 7 with ASD, and a dd aged 5 with ASD (though still in the process of getting a diagnosis for her). I tend to blank out the future as i can't bear to think of it sad

I really hope somebody sees your sons good qualities and realises his potential, and gives him a chance.

BadStepMother Thu 09-Jun-11 21:45:47

Could you help him set up an Ebay shop? Or doing car washes locally? Dog walking? Are those things out of his abilities? He could volunteer in addition...to get the interaction.

sad So sorry...if I lived near you {and had a business} I would give him a job. The centre COULD have bloody found somethiing for him

fuzzypicklehead Thu 09-Jun-11 21:50:56

Have you checked out the National Brokerage Network in your area? They aren't restricted by the "Fair Access to Care" criteria, so they can help anybody, and may know of some sources of alternative funding as well.

create Thu 09-Jun-11 22:06:23

The Salvation Army run lovely Tea Rooms near hear that is almost entirely staffed by adults with LD. It's brilliantly heartwarming to go to as a customer and a very good cafe to boot!

There's a man with LD working at Tesco, who's about my age. I remember he was there collecting trolley's when I was looking for Saturday work at school (25+ years ago) He's still there and has done a wide variety of jobs over the years - very childlike to talk to, but that's not a bad thing for a customer service person smile I'd say he's been far more of an asset to them than many of their other grumpier employees. Hopefully these companies appreciate that.

create Thu 09-Jun-11 22:07:29

here blush

TotallyUtterlyDesperate Thu 09-Jun-11 22:08:37

Thanks for all of the ideas - I really appreciate people taking the time to answer. We live in a small town, so the opportunities here are very limited. We can't move as I am the only one in the family with a job and I am ill too - so I won't be able to get another one.

I think the supermarkets are also beginning to cut down on the number of people with disabilities that they take. The problem with ASD is that, if DS is not interested in a particular area or work, then he will make it quite clear to everyone! He just can't understand that we need to knuckle down in any job and get through the more boring bits. He did do some supported work in a supermarket, but really hated it and made it clear to them, unfortunately. Connexions have also been pretty useless, sadly.

My DH is working on various avenues for him though - he is very good at ringing people up and getting things moving. I could scream at our CC though - so many people working with young adults like DS are losing their jobs in these disastrous cuts.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 09-Jun-11 22:09:37

OP... I used to work in the council's waste management department and we set up a scheme working in partnership with the social services department for day centre clients to work with recycling officers on a variety of activities. The partnership working angle really appealed to members of the public who were more inclined to engage with the project as they knew the 'clients'. The waste management department paid each client a 'weekly wage' that was not enough to stop them receiving their benefits or allowances, but enough to show appreciation - and they are still very much appreciated. It's a real project with real jobs.

Is it possible that the social services department of your council might have such a scheme or similar in place?

Yep, we have a sally army cafe too, fully staffed by people with LD's, we have a lot working in our big park too, just weeding/litter picking etc

TotallyUtterlyDesperate Thu 09-Jun-11 22:18:47

Yes, we had all kinds of schemes here - as I said, the CC is closing all of them and sacking all of the staff who ran them. We haven't tried charities as yet, but what we now want for him is not more volunteer work, but somthing paid, even if it's only a small amount. I don't want him to continue giving his time unpaid, it doesn't feel right - he needs to feel that he can earn some money of his own.

OpusProSerenus Thu 09-Jun-11 22:18:48

Our local Sainsburys has a lovely young woman with Downs Syndrome working there. She is very popular with customers and brightens up my day frequently.

Supermarkets may be a good bet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now