Talk

Advanced search

to expect him to LISTEN???

(8 Posts)
CurlyBoy Thu 09-Jun-11 20:14:34

I've been a dad to a now 20 mo toddler for about 3 months now. The lad knows his name but why does he not bloody listen when I call him??? He'll be in the middle of mis-behaving or about to fall and I call his name loads of times and he doesn't flinch! I say "I have a biscuit for you" and he's right over.

AIBU to expect a toddler to listen or is this absolutely normal?? It's already driving me nutty! If I knew this was typical then I'll take a few deep breaths and learn to cope... Otherwise I may tie a bungee cord to him and stake it in the middle of the room!

DeepPurple Thu 09-Jun-11 20:17:48

My 19 month old DD is exactly the same.

cjbartlett Thu 09-Jun-11 20:18:54

It's normal

JaneFonda Thu 09-Jun-11 20:19:13

If he is being naughty, or in danger, you need to pick him up and remove him from the situation with a firm 'NO'.

Calling his name and telling him to stop doing something without actually making any action won't get through to him.

He's only small, toddlers' brains don't work the same way as adults, so simply telling them to do something won't have any effect on them.

lazylula Thu 09-Jun-11 20:19:40

Totally normal, it doesn't change as they get older either!

RuthChan Thu 09-Jun-11 20:19:58

Completely normal.
Totally infuriating.

On a daily basis I find myself calling my DS's name and trying to force him to look/react/acknowledge my existence.
I try to make sure I get a reaction before giving the instruction or message.
Usually I am completely aware that he knows I am talking to him and is choosing to ignore me.

I look forward to seeing if anyone has ever come up with a reliable answer to this problem.

5318008 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:21:58

normal normal normal

dial down the shouting

you need to get down at face height, make sure that he can see your face, take his hand/carry him away from the scene

take him places where he can challenge himself physically - park with equipment, woods, beach, if none clse by then cushions/pillows/pop up tunnel in the garden etc

IME boys ARE like dogs grin

CurlyBoy Thu 09-Jun-11 20:24:40

We've started doing all those things. Leading him away, making eye contact, etc. It's just by the end of the day it's really hard to move my fat ass off the sofa for the 100th time! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: