Talk

Advanced search

to be so so proud of my DD

(27 Posts)
thefirstmrsrochester Thu 09-Jun-11 19:20:47

in 2 weeks my DD will leave primary school. She is polite and respectful of others and due to her reserved nature has been sidelined and psychologically tormented by the class bullies over the years.
She is beautiful (as is often comments by other parents-i thinks so too but im biased), but believes she is ugly due to what she is told by the bullies. She believes she is thick (the bullies again) and that her interests (ballet, music, athletics) are 'crap' - (again the same bunch of kids who have no particular interests apart from being 'orrible).
Well, in two weeks she says goodbye to all those kids who have ground down her self esteem and will move up to high school - her tutor group have ZERO kids from her primary school in it.
She 'made it' and will be starting afresh in an environment where she can speak out without fear of ridicule and she can celebrate her talents and successes without fear of being scorned.
I am so proud of her for holding her head high during the tough times and am bursting with excitement for the years to come.
I will be the proudest mother on earth come her leavers assembly (along with everyone else with leavers grin

K999 Thu 09-Jun-11 19:22:48

YANBU.

My dd1 starts high school this year and am excited for her too. smile

thelittlefriend Thu 09-Jun-11 19:24:31

I really hope she thrives in a new environment. smile

ShirleyKnot Thu 09-Jun-11 19:25:07

smile

YANBU - how wonderful to turn a new page.

jenrendo Thu 09-Jun-11 19:25:17

What an absolutely lovely mummy you are! YANBU. She is a very lucky girl.

MogTheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jun-11 19:27:15

YANBU - I was horribly bullied by some former friends at school (ages 13-15, roughly) and it was sheer, unadulterated misery. I feel it has really left an indelible mark on me as a person sad. I really hope that moving on to a new school, with none of the unpleasant little gobshites around to continue to chip away at her self esteem, will enable her to blossom and go on to have the wonderful life that will be the very best 'fuck you' to the bullies. I hate, hate HATE bullying, and am trying to keep a lid on my anxiety about it as my DSs progress through the school system.

Good luck to your DD - she sounds delightful smile.

Dinosaurhunter Thu 09-Jun-11 19:33:44

Yanbu , that is beautiful , she is very lucky to have a mummy like you

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 09-Jun-11 19:34:14

Oh thank you all - she is a lovely lovely girl and she deserves the opportunity to flourish without the put downs and snide remarks she has had to endure over the years.

Of course there are lovely girls in her P7 class but they are all so much in fear of the bullies, that they would rather tolerate them than stand against them.

Good luck to all primary school leavers - and to all the mums, we will weep with pride at their leavers assembly/presentation/service.

Deaddei Thu 09-Jun-11 19:38:50

My dd experienced the same at primary...she is now at the end of year 9 at a school she loves, where there are still many girls from her primary but she has risen above them.
I feel very proud of her too.....almost worth raising a glass or two ladies?wine

BoSho Thu 09-Jun-11 19:44:57

YANBU. This is really sweet. You seem like a really lovely mum and your daughter sounds lovely too. Hope she meets some great friends in secondary school.

K999 Thu 09-Jun-11 19:50:58

Oh sorry MrsR. I forgot to say "good luck to your DD"! smile

TidyDancer Thu 09-Jun-11 19:55:46

Good luck to your DD, OP. She sounds an absolute treasure of a DD. And you sound like a brilliant mum. smile

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 09-Jun-11 20:30:16

What a lovely thread to read - you must be very proud of her for getting through it all. I hope she has a great time in high school. smile

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 20:34:01

How lovely. YANBU

HSMM Thu 09-Jun-11 20:34:32

Well done to your DD. I am so glad you have found her somewhere that she can make a fresh start - good for you.

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 09-Jun-11 20:36:37

K999 the very best of luck to your DD for all of the fantastic opportunities that await smile

280169 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:39:22

wow well done to your dd and the best of luck.I am stunned at what you have described.My ds will move to y6 next and has mild ld but his school even though its in a deprived area has zero tollerance on bullies and they are very strong on respecting youself and others.It must have been so hard for youto watch over the years.

I am sure she will thrive now and leave the bulies friendless eventually

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 09-Jun-11 20:40:51

Deaddi, how lovely for your DD to have had the last word, so to speak. Definately worth raising a wine wine wine to all our lovely DD abd DS

IslaValargeone Thu 09-Jun-11 20:41:42

How fabulous, I hope she thrives at her new school.

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 20:43:18

She leaves in two weeks? I am so jealous, we have seven more weeks.

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 09-Jun-11 21:15:58

we are in scotland hence the two weeks till end of term - we will be back in at start of august and then I will be the jealous one wink

K999 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:28:09

I'm in Scotland too! Where in Scotland are you?

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 09-Jun-11 21:33:34

YANBU

I was bullied all through primary school and only got through it with the help and support of my amazing mum. Your DD will always be grateful for you helping her through the difficult times.

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 09-Jun-11 22:42:55

K999 - north lan.
bullying policies are all fine and good - the best bullies are subtle and stealthy - that is why, with the best will in the world, my DD was bullied and each time the subject was broached, the staff had 'no evidence' sad

K999 Thu 09-Jun-11 23:07:15

My DD was bullied at school for a short time. It was awful for her and us. As soon as I threatened to call the police and sue the school for failing in their "duty of care" they finally took action....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now