Talk

Advanced search

Night out in central London 37.5 wks pregnant - good idea or not?

(26 Posts)
perrinelli Thu 09-Jun-11 15:10:04

One of my closest old friends is having a do at a bar in central London on Saturday night for her 30th birthday. I'm 37 1/2 wks with DC2. DC1 came at 39 wks. It had been assumed that I wouldn't go, especially because I had pre-eclampsia with DC1 and have had some high blood pressure in this pregnancy but now it has settled down and I have been feeling good since starting maternity leave.

Am starting to think maybe I should go along for a bit, it would involve walking to the station, getting the train and tube etc. Thought I could maybe get train there and a cab back. (Cab would be about 30 mins I think) Thought would go on my own (will have close friends there) and DH will stay home with DC1.

Is it madness? Might it be too tiring? What if my waters broke on the tube!!! Don't want to set off then regret it. Have been going out and a bit locally but have generally been taking it quite easy and not been walking that far.

Wouldn't drive there myself but maybe if we got a babysitter DH would drive and come with (but then whenever we get a babysitter I feel we have to stay out quite late to make it worth their while!)

Know it's a really individual thing but wondered what others think/feel?

WannabeMusician Thu 09-Jun-11 15:17:08

See how you feel on the day. I would go if I was in London anyway and as you say, you can always get a cab home. If your waters break on the tube, will it really be more embarassing and inconvenient than having them break in tesco/playgroup/church/all the many other places people go when heavily pregnant? At least in central London you are never far from a black cab! If you do go, have fun.

drcrab Thu 09-Jun-11 15:19:20

hello there. I went to London when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my second and the people I was meeting did think I was abit mad.

Having said that, it was during the day. I'm not sure how bad things can get at a bar in central London on a saturday night since it's been ages since I'm been out at a bar, let alone in London!! If you'll have company throughout the night and someone could take the tube/train with you, then why not...? Otherwise, I wouldn't chance it. Would you be able to say meet her in the day time instead?

Stangirl Thu 09-Jun-11 15:20:32

If you don't feel too tired on the day I'd go. I went clubbing 3 days before DD's birth at 39 weeks and I'm going to a one day festival at 38 wks this time. Cheers me up no end.

dreamingbohemian Thu 09-Jun-11 16:04:55

I lived in London when pregnant and was out and about until 40 weeks, if you feel okay go for it.

I did avoid the tube though! All those stairs...and signal delays...and drunks... much easier to take a bus, people always gave me a seat too.

Mumwithadragontattoo Thu 09-Jun-11 16:30:24

I did this as my friend's 30th was also when I was 38 weeks. I was glad that I'd gone as enjoyed seeing my friend but I found the bar very crowded and people weren't really looking out for bumps so I got jostled quite a lot. Plus I was working in London so was already there (albeit still had to get tube and train home with DH afterwards). It was OK but we did end up keeping it quite a short one and might not have been worth it if I'd had to have a special trip in...

LolaRennt Thu 09-Jun-11 16:39:00

no reason not to if you are up to it,personally don' think i could be arsed in your position.

beresh Thu 09-Jun-11 16:42:14

I did this on the day before my due date - I took a train and bus on my own to get to a central london party. Had a brilliant night and was full of energy all evening. Took a taxi home and got back at midnight. Realised I was in labour at 1am. DD1 arrived at 7am. Looking back it could have been a disaster and I wish I'd taken DH along! And if you feel unusually full of energy on the day it could be a warning sign!

MamaChocoholic Thu 09-Jun-11 16:42:41

I did this for my best friend's birthday at exactly 37.5 weeks. had a great time. took a cab home though - couldn't face the drunks on the bus at the end of the night. only go if you feel up to it on the day though, obviously. after that I went out for my own birthday two weeks later and then not again for months and months. so those nights were remembered for a long time smile

fifipink Thu 09-Jun-11 17:04:43

just do as you feel able and dont put pressure on yourself - there'll be other nights out post baby!

if you are going out then see if there's seats at the venue? and make sure people stick to the planned venue and not have you walking miles around london on a bar crawl or similar (though if this was the case then i'd assume you and your friends would get taxis)

JanMorrow Thu 09-Jun-11 17:46:50

I worked until I was 38 weeks pregnant (in London) which included commuting on the tube etc.. Madness? Perhaps.. but just do what you feel is right on the day!

Punkatheart Thu 09-Jun-11 18:05:48

Bars in London get really really crowded. You will be pushed, jostled and have people crushed against you. If I had a choice - no I wouldn't do it. Saturday on the tube and trains are also busy and if there is a football match, pretty unbearable.

perrinelli Thu 09-Jun-11 18:51:14

Thanks for all the opinions - I have surprised myself by feeling I might be up for it and am experiencing a general surge of energy! Perhaps this could also be a sign that things might get moving soon? (in which case maybe I should conserve my energy!). I think I will see how I feel and make a last minute decision, as well as check out exactly where the bar is. I've been on mat leave since 35 wks and work nearby in local government rather than in central London so don't use public transport that much. It's also the whole needing-the-toilet-on-the-way thing that is a worry. My friend definitely understands I just thought she would appreciate me making the effort and it would be nice to be part of it. Seems like a few people are having weddings/big birthday bashes around or just after my due date that I'm probably not going to make!

microserf Thu 09-Jun-11 19:22:07

No, YANBU, but tell your friend you will see how you feel on the day. Lots of hospitals in central London if anything urgent happens! Have fun!

CurrySpice Thu 09-Jun-11 19:30:21

I went to a premiership football match by public transport at 38 weeks with dd2. It was fine although everyone looked nervous when they saw me. They also had to open a side door because I couldn't get through the turnstile!!

See how you feel on the day. You can always come home if you feel uncomfortable!

Cheeseandbiscuits Thu 09-Jun-11 19:45:02

Nope I'd go! i had dinner in covent garden at 37 weeks bang on. Went home, put my feet up watched OBEM and then my waters broke. I am now so glad I had a nice fun evening out before I went into labour. Black cabs are never far away....Lots of hospitals around too. GOod luck

kerala Thu 09-Jun-11 19:47:25

I never got beyond 37 weeks personally but if you feel up to it go not madness at all

EggyAllenPoe Thu 09-Jun-11 19:49:47

i went to a wedding an hour away at 40+3.. it was good to go as nothing happened for another week.

go on, it's really not very likely you'l start labour. it is quite likely you'l be tired, pissed off and uncomfortable.

zipzap Thu 09-Jun-11 22:20:06

I'd go for it.

I went out at 39 weeks to meet up with some ex work colleagues for a meal out at a nice restaurant and had a really good evening.

Next day dh was rushed into hospital seriously ill and I ended up wondering if I was going to be a widow before the baby arrived (I didn't thank goodness). That evening I ended up in a different hospital with pre eclampsia that had been missed the previous day by the dr but picked up when speaking that evening to a relative who was a dr.
Baby was born 3 days later.

I look back on that last night out with very fond memories as it being the last night of normality before all the baby madness and dh being seriously ill and am very glad I went.

I'm reckoning that I'll be lucky to have my next night of normality at some point in the next 20 years the way things are going grin

gotmypurplehat Thu 09-Jun-11 22:23:52

I'd go for it. Just don't get bladdered. And take a giant sanitary towel in your handbag just in case your waters go wink

PorkChopSter Thu 09-Jun-11 22:24:46

I had a big weekend out at 36 weeks: let's just say the ride in the rickshaw was a tad hairy grin

But with DC2 I was walking to the station, commuting into London then walking to work until the day before she was born at 41+ weeks - if you feel up for it, go smile

I went to the cinema in the evening with friends at 38 weeks, the same time the next day my waters broke. I'm glad I went out when I did as it was quite a long time before I got to the cinema again (also quite glad that I didn't go into labour during the film because I was enjoying it)

create Thu 09-Jun-11 22:32:01

I was still working in Central London 2 days before DS2 was born. My waters didn't break on the train, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they did.

If you'll only be a 30 min can drive from home, I would definitely go. You can always leave. Baby might not arrive for another 5 weeks (sorry!) You can't stay in for that time, you'll go mad and it might be a long time before you get another big night out....

Hatesponge Thu 09-Jun-11 22:40:24

I was working in London til 38 weeks with DS1, though I had definitely had enough of summer tube journeys by the time I started my ML. I also went for a night out to local bar 2 days before he was born (it was actually closer to hospital than my house was!) With DS2 I didn't do so much going out, although I was decorating at home up til my due date.

Best advice I think is to see how you feel on the day. I know by that stage with DS2 I used to feel full of energy when lying on the sofa at home, but the effort of getting dressed up, hair, make up etc used to leave me knackered before I'd left the house smile

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Thu 09-Jun-11 22:53:42

Why not? What's the worst that could happen? Central London on Saturday night is a bit rowdy at worst but it is not a warzone! Totally depends on how you feel and whether you can be arsed - I wouldn't fancy a Saturday night out atm, but that is just because I'm knackered from having a 5 mo dd. Make the most of going out while you can. Your only consideration is whether you feel like it - you are not putting yourself or the lo at any risk - probably a better place to be than in the middle of nowhere or up a mountain or something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now