Talk

Advanced search

to think this is wrong (head lice)

(98 Posts)
altinkum Thu 09-Jun-11 13:46:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Thu 09-Jun-11 13:49:12

Our school doesn't send them home, they dont see the point because 'if one child has it chances are half the class has it'. Tell her just to keep combing (before and after school) and use the 'nitty gritty' each morning.

belledechocchipcookie Thu 09-Jun-11 13:51:39

Some children would never be at school if they were sent home because they had headlice. Bring back the nit nurse!

turdass Thu 09-Jun-11 13:51:39

Haven't had to deal with this myself - yet - but a friend recommended making a spray of tea tree and lavender oils in water and 'misting' your kids' heads ever morning. Worth a try?

valiumredhead Thu 09-Jun-11 13:53:01

Wish more schools would do this! Your friend's child must be crawling with them for the school to take such drastic action.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Thu 09-Jun-11 13:53:23

Could it be that her DC is scratching? I know many kids don't itch/scratch when they have headlice, my dd being one of them, so perhaps it is hard for the teacher to identify who is the 'culprit' as it were. I would be very annoyed if I was your friend, it isn't her or her DCs fault and something needs to be done.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Thu 09-Jun-11 13:55:28

If on her first day back she had two 'massive' nits, then either your friend is using salad cream instead of Hedrin or her child is being reinfected by a child who is going untreated and therefore has fully developed lice.

I assume that because her child is 'known' to have had them she is being checked more frequently, and as such they're being spotted every time she's reinfected. It sounds like she is being identified as the source. I would go in and explain the life cycle of lice, how I'd been treating them and the absolute impossibility of large adult lice magically appearing on a clear head. I would also insist that my child was 'checked' when I dropped her off, in my presence, confirming that she's clear, and that they start looking for the source of the problem.

Then I'd buy a nittygritty comb and use it daily if possible, because on the current evidence the nursery is unlikely to deal with this quickly or effectively.

Nixea Thu 09-Jun-11 13:55:43

Aloe vera gel - honestly! I always thought it sounded a bit pants until I tried it in desperation and it worked wonders. smile

Pixieonthemoor Thu 09-Jun-11 13:56:07

So annoying that someone else isnt bothering to de-nit - massively selfish. Our school doesnt insist on the child being taken immediately - an email/message in the book bag accompanies everyone home. I find that the Nitty Gritty repellent spray is pretty good. We have been nit free since starting to use it every morning. It has all the usual things that people suggest - lavender oil, rosemary, neem etc. May be worth a try?

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Thu 09-Jun-11 13:57:05

Sorry, school.

valiumredhead Thu 09-Jun-11 13:58:21

I wonder if the parents/siblings of these children whose parents claim them to be 'nit free' after treatment, are actually treating themselves as well?

AliceAirhead Thu 09-Jun-11 14:01:55

Agree, one child shouldn't be singled out. Took ages to get rid of the nits that my kids brought home. Tried everything. My daughter has very long, thick hair (that I always kept tied back) and I seemed to spend every hour going through it. It was only over the summer hols when they weren't at school that I managed to obliterate the little blighters once and for all (nits not kids). Started using Vosene kids 3-in-1 head lice repellent shampoo and they've remained nit-free (touch wood) so maybe it really does work

altinkum Thu 09-Jun-11 14:02:46

belgo Thu 09-Jun-11 14:06:51

'Their is no need to treat her again, as her hair is clean and free from eggs, the lice ive killed.'

No that's wrong, if you find adult lice in her hair, you can be certain she has eggs in her hair as well (even if you can't see them) and she needs to be treated and every single strand combed with the nitty gritty comb..

sims2fan Thu 09-Jun-11 14:07:12

I didn't actually think schools were allowed to send children home for this anymore? Is it a state school? Every one that I've worked in have said they can't exclude children because of lice.

That said, as for preventative measures, is her hair long? One school I worked in a couple of the little 5 year old girls in the class had their hair tightly scraped back into a tight plait, then made practically solid with copious amounts of hairspray. At first I thought it looked a bit odd, but soon realised it was because one girl in the class had permanent lice that her mother was not treating. One day we went on a class trip and quite a lot of mothers came too. We went into a greenhouse and the heat must have made a lot of eggs hatch because suddenly you could see loads of lice crawling on top of this child's head. After that day I think every other girl in the class had her hair scraped back and loads of hairspray applied.

belgo Thu 09-Jun-11 14:08:27

I strongly disagree with children being sent home from school due to nits (and having spend 150 euros on nit treatment in the last year due to re-infestation at school, I feel I can make that judgement).

aliceliddell Thu 09-Jun-11 14:08:39

Belle - please stand for election, then employ nit nurses. On the same wages as bankers.

seeker Thu 09-Jun-11 14:08:43

Are you in this country? I am very surprised that a child would be sent home with head lice - once one child has them most of the class will!

Do the send a letter home getting all parents to check themselves and their children? Otherwise your friend doing her child is completley useless.

altinkum Thu 09-Jun-11 14:09:04

sims2fan Thu 09-Jun-11 14:10:08

Sorry x posts, I see her hair is tied back in a plait. I think the mum needs to be firm with school and tell them they are not allowed to exclude the chid got this.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Thu 09-Jun-11 14:10:13

Oh sims2fan that is shock. Am itching now. Blerr. Poor kid though.

altinkum Thu 09-Jun-11 14:12:24

Fecklessdizzy Thu 09-Jun-11 14:15:18

I didn't think they did that here!

My son's school sends back a general letter to the whole class and sometime has a quiet word with the can't-be-arsed/ not-MY-child-surely brigade but to single out one kid publicly is downright nasty ...

valiumredhead Thu 09-Jun-11 14:15:18

Is she just combing or actually using Hedrin and then again 7 days later? Combing is tricky unless done REALLY thoroughly, have seen lots of friends do what they think is a thorough going over but most definitely isn't!

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 09-Jun-11 14:16:13

Teachers aren't actually allowed to physically check for lice, so if they are checking the child because she is known to have them frequently. If they are checking they are breaking the rules!

If lice are spotted then a general letter is meant to be sent home, addressing all parents and singling nobody out.

I would not allow my dc to be sent home because of lice, if one of my dc had them it's likely half the class has them too, why should my dc miss out on school?

I check for headlice regularly, and treat as soon as I discover any, it's so infuriating that a few parents don't treat and your become infested again so easily. I too have had the joy of discovering several large lice (no eggs) at the end of the first day of school after a weekend/half term break, when I knew they had none the day before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now