Talk

Advanced search

what would you do

(19 Posts)
cuteboots Thu 09-Jun-11 13:01:51

Ok heres the story. Went to the garage on Monday put petrol in my car and brought some other stuff. Paid for this but then upon going back there yesterday the person behind the counter told me they hadnt charged me for the petrol and I owe them money!? I was a bit shocked as I did at the time give her the petrol pump number and the value? Would you pay up and look big or would you dispute it as it was their error?

LunaticFringe Thu 09-Jun-11 13:06:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bupcakesandcunting Thu 09-Jun-11 13:07:41

I would tell them to suck on mah baws.

Cheers.

hmmSleep Thu 09-Jun-11 13:07:48

If it was a genuine mistake and you definitely didn't already pay then yes, I would pay.

hmmSleep Thu 09-Jun-11 13:09:26

Or do you think you did already pay? Not clear from the op.

chelstonmum Thu 09-Jun-11 13:11:26

Wouldn't you have noticed the difference in amount at the time?

meltedchocolate Thu 09-Jun-11 13:12:49

you should pay if you didn't then

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 09-Jun-11 13:14:04

Have a look for a receipt or check your bank statement. I would know if I hadn't paid for petrol and I am astonished that you don't to be honest.
Obviously, if you have already paid, don't pay again, but if you haven't you must.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 09-Jun-11 13:14:52

I am confused as to how you didn't notice at the time tbh. You must know if you paid or not. Did you? If not, go and pay now.

Most people fill up or at least put a minimum of say £10-£20 in. Unless you bought trolley loads of other "stuff" I can't see how you are uncertain?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 09-Jun-11 13:16:33

I am assuming that you used your cash card and didn't check the amount before sticking in your PIN?
Check your statement; if you didn't pay for the petrol you should pay.

BertieBotts Thu 09-Jun-11 13:17:44

I think you'd have to get them to prove it, surely? Or do you know you didn't pay for it?

If you know you didn't pay last time then just pay it, why are you asking? confused However if you're not sure I'd be asking them to prove it. How do they know you're not an identical twin? wink

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 09-Jun-11 13:17:58

It would be very easy for you to check. I think you are being dishonest really, and hoping we will all say "lucky you".

If you didn't pay, and the woman can't prove it, she may be in big trouble.

fgaaagh Thu 09-Jun-11 13:18:36

So you went in, filled up, told them the petrol pump, not noticed, paid, left... went back 3 days later and they tell you to pay for your petrol from Monday?

I wouldn't consent to that. I'd want to check my bank statement.

I'd be interested to hear the legal side of this.

If I went to buy a pair of jeans and some other clothes on a Monday, got charged only for the other clothes (i.e. store's mistake) but I popped in again a few days later.. can they charge for the jeans on top?

Also to the people questionning why OP didn't notice - I've often put just £5 or £10 in the car when we won't be using it for a couple of weeks (no point it sitting there with a fulltank) or can't afford it just then. And when you're buying stuff at a garage it's easy to see where a £5 might be missed, IMHO.

nickelbabe Thu 09-Jun-11 13:21:04

i'm sure they are within their rights to ask for the money -but it would be their responsibility to prove that you haven't paid.

look at your receipt or bank statement.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 09-Jun-11 13:31:20

Check your receipt/bank statement. If you haven't already paid, pay. If you have paid, show them the proof.

cuteboots Thu 09-Jun-11 13:42:11

onepieceofcremegg - I was brought up to pay my bills but thanks for the feedback. Ive just been back to the garage and paid mainly because it appears she just didnt take the petrol into consideration even though I told her the number of the pump and the value. I also stood there with the cash in my hand. Apparently the girl who took my payment admitted she made an error and has been told off. It was probably my error as well as I had to get home quickly to pick my son up and I did think at the time that it didnt seem right. They have just shown me a copy oif the receipt i.e goods purchased so it was a case of human error.

fgaaagh Thu 09-Jun-11 13:57:00

Does anyone know what sort of legal situation you'd be in if it was the example I gave above?

"If I went to buy a pair of jeans and some other clothes on a Monday, got charged only for the other clothes (i.e. store's mistake) but I popped in again a few days later.. can they charge for the jeans on top?"

I would pay, in that case, if I knew (bank statement) I'd not paid. But would they have a right to add the bill for the jeans on top? What if I just hadn't gone back - could they have put the jeans through on a new transaction after I'd left the shop?

Curious really - slow day here! grin

nickelbabe Thu 09-Jun-11 14:02:30

yes, they have a right to claim the money for the goods sold - even if it's their mistake that they didn't add it to the original bill.
It's like invoicing once goods have been received, really.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 09-Jun-11 15:48:14

Glad it has been sorted out. You will sleep soundly tonight. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now