Talk

Advanced search

what would you do

(10 Posts)
cuteboots Thu 09-Jun-11 13:01:51

Ok heres the story. Went to the garage on Monday put petrol in my car and brought some other stuff. Paid for this but then upon going back there yesterday the person behind the counter told me they hadnt charged me for the petrol and I owe them money!? I was a bit shocked as I did at the time give her the petrol pump number and the value? Would you pay up and look big or would you dispute it as it was their error?

IslaValargeone Thu 09-Jun-11 13:04:14

Well surely you would know whether or not you have paid or not? If you haven't, then do the decent thing. Somebody making an error doesn't give you the option of not paying for something you have taken.

itisnearlysummer Thu 09-Jun-11 13:04:43

Did you realise at the time? I'm pretty sure I'd notice if I'd been charged £50 or even £10 less than I was expecting.

CurrySpice Thu 09-Jun-11 13:05:12

How did you pay?

itisnearlysummer Thu 09-Jun-11 13:06:35

I'd pay if I owed it. If I'd already paid, I wouldn't pay again and would show them the receipt to prove it.

strandedbear Thu 09-Jun-11 13:06:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Thu 09-Jun-11 13:06:40

If you haven't paid for it then you should. If you have the reciept and have paid for it then prove it.

fearnelinen Thu 09-Jun-11 13:09:21

I wouldn't pay it, it's their error. UNLESS you are a regular customer (it sounds like you are), then it's not worth it.
If you know you didn't pay and you want to continue going there, I'd pay but any other circumstances, nope.

buzzsore Thu 09-Jun-11 13:15:13

I can't tell if you did pay for it all (or thought you had) and think the garage are trying to rip you off? If it's that, you should be able to prove you paid.

Or is it that you noticed the mistake at the time, but thought you'd got away with it? You should pay up if that's the case, because they know and you know you didn't pay.

TenthCircle Thu 09-Jun-11 13:17:08

You have to pay them. Unless you can prove you paid for the petrol. I have no legal background but I think they are entitled to contact the police about this as I think it is technically some kind of theft.

Morally you should pay anyway, that would be the right thing to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: