Talk

Advanced search

To keep 3.10yo DS up late?

(14 Posts)
HowlingBitch Wed 08-Jun-11 23:17:01

For one night a week? DP works late and DS is asleep/going to sleep when he gets home most nights. AIBU to tell you that he is still up? blush and that this isn't the first time he has been up this late? He and daddy are in the bath right now and are having a ball i'm sitting down stairs listening to the laughs they are having and I really think DS needs this time as he adores his daddy (DP started this job recently and used to work from home so DS was used to him being around). I'm not sure what to do about it.

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 23:19:28

If he'll sleep in tomorrow and not give you hell all day then enjoy smile He's not at school, make the most of it.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 08-Jun-11 23:19:33

Does he have nursery in the morning? If not then I think you are doing right by him by giving him time with his dad.

fuckmepinkandcallmerosie Wed 08-Jun-11 23:20:11

Oh I have a similar thread going. DD is 9 and is sitting up waiting for DP to arrive (he's not her dad though)

Portofino Wed 08-Jun-11 23:20:49

Does he sleep in in the morning? I would say once in a while tis fine til he needs to be up for school. On holiday dd has ALWAYS stayed up late since she was a tiny tot. But no fun for you if he goes to bed late and then wakes early in a grumpy mood.

FreudianSlipper Wed 08-Jun-11 23:22:56

my ds is 3.8 and stays up very late at the weekend we are often out or he is back late from his dads and will nap the next day. he goes to nursery wed/thu/fri so by tuesday back into a better routine

some children are fine staying up late others are not and depends on if they have school/nursery next day

fuckmepinkandcallmerosie Wed 08-Jun-11 23:23:24

DD has school in the morning. She will be difficult.

GreenEyesandHam Wed 08-Jun-11 23:24:05

I have a son of a similar age and I struggle to keep him awake beyond 7pm so I think you're doing well grin

I think at this age it's fine, won't hurt him at all, and like you say, probably beneficial. Not ideal when he starts school of course, but that's a way off yet smile

MissVerinder Wed 08-Jun-11 23:30:08

YANBU. It must be lovely for him and daddy to get some time together.

Portofino Wed 08-Jun-11 23:34:08

We went on our honeymoon when dd was about 15 months old. She'd had a busy night of baby disco and dancing to Frank Sinatra songs/flirting with the Italian waiters etc. She slept in til about 930. I will never forget the panic I felt when I woke up as sleeping past 7am was unheard of!

HowlingBitch Wed 08-Jun-11 23:34:48

Thanks everyone. Ahh don't even talk about school I have no idea how we are going to tackle this problem when he goes but I guess he will be used to it by then (crosses fingers and toes)

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose DS stays up late on weekends (Even before DP started this job) MiL is still to this day disgusted that he doesn't fall straight to sleep at 7pm on the dot! (Oh the cliche I know) but me nor DP ever really minded.

HowlingBitch Wed 08-Jun-11 23:41:12

grin grin @ Portofino

It's lovely that you brought her along to your honeymoon! Me and DP are getting married next year and still have no clue what to do with DS as we have never stayed away from him before, Apart from GPs overnight! We will probably take him too in the end.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Wed 08-Jun-11 23:46:13

If there is nothing to be up for in the morning then what is the harm. It isn't every night as you say, he can sleep nice and long tomorrow and he is having a lovely time right now. Wouldn't worry about it if it was me.

seeker Wed 08-Jun-11 23:46:33

It's fine.

Mine stayed up late tonight to watch The Apprentice, then to eat jelly and custard and to fool about with their dad when he got home.

And they are 15 and 10 and have,respectively, GCSEs and a rugby tournament this week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: