Talk

Advanced search

To not reveal yourself is you recognise someone from RL?

(6 Posts)
cagedbirdsings Wed 08-Jun-11 22:13:30

This is hypothethical question but what is the etiquette if you are on a thread and recognise someone from real life? Should you stay away from the thread? Read but not post? Or make yourself known to the other person? I know a few mumsnetters but not their MN nicknames - surely it's a matter of time before our paths cross?

cagedbirdsings Wed 08-Jun-11 22:14:41

More of a WWYD I suppose really.
Also in title should read IF not IS

vintageteacups Wed 08-Jun-11 22:17:20

I know one person on here but I wouldn't have known it was her until she posted to me.

I haven't name changed though because I wouldn't put anything I wasn't happy for anyone to hear.

I think I found one friend by the info she gave but said nothing. Although her MN NN was a sentence so I threaded the sentence into my facebook profile to see if she realised and I'm not sure now whether she's name changed.

I know (in virtual real life) a couple of people who know who I am because of what I post but have never seen/met them.

It's a tricky one.

vintageteacups Wed 08-Jun-11 22:17:42

If I wanted to post a delicate subject, then I'd defo name change.

cagedbirdsings Wed 08-Jun-11 22:19:48

I am careful what I post but I also name-change every so often - not everyone is so careful though are they and I wonder, is it morally wrong to not tell someone they have outed themself - particularly if they are posting on an emotive subject?

CRS Wed 08-Jun-11 22:23:59

I know at least two people know who I am. Not bothered. They are nice people, might hide otherwise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: