Talk

Advanced search

to have felt physically sick?

(22 Posts)
strandedbear Wed 08-Jun-11 20:59:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MavisEnderby Wed 08-Jun-11 21:02:27

Ah,the horror of the comfort item loss!!From experience if your dc has a favourite toy if the stop still stocks them buy 2 0r 3smile(I have 3 Ikea bats in reserve)

Maybe a little crazy but the thought of screaming and a sleepless night can do that to a girl smile

ohmyfucksy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:04:34

I get it, but to be honest, if it ever did get lost she would get over it. A day of being upset, perhaps, but she wouldn't be traumatised. It's quite a lot of stress for you to be so worried at the prospect.

BluddyMoFo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:05:29

amIbeingdaft Wed 08-Jun-11 21:05:59

I agree with your DH. She would sleep without it. One bad night is not the end of the world.

BluddyMoFo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:06:12

squeakytoy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:07:19

I ruined our first family holiday abroad according to my mother. I was 2, this was 1971 when foreign holidays were quite an extravagance, and they took me to Rimini...

I left my favourite teddy on the plane over there, and apparently was inconsolable for the entire fortnight, so much so that they were considering coming home early as I was such a nightmare.

We went to Bournemouth every year after that... grin and I got the blame!

strandedbear Wed 08-Jun-11 21:10:00

MavisEnderby Wed 08-Jun-11 21:10:31

Yep.ds is 7 and left "Batty" at the childminders the other day.He was most put out.Apparently substitute bat no 1 "Didn't smell the same".Luckily it sufficed until Batty could be retrieved from childminder the following day.I think hes a fruitbat because when we went to get him he was sat next to her fruitbowl...
I get sick of uttering the words "Well,ds,you need to remember where you put him (Batty is definitely male) hes your responsibility" on our nightly bat hunt before bed hmm

hurricanewyn Wed 08-Jun-11 21:10:33

We left DS' favourite dog behind at my mam's when we went at a visit. My bother, thinking he was doing us a favour, took him to the doll's hospital because he was looking scruffy.

It took over a month to get the dog back and posted from Ireland and by then it was a different toy and DS (who didn't sleep properly for 3 weeks) didn't want anything to do with it.

My advice would be to not just have spares, but to alternate the use of them so that they're indistinguishable from each other!!!

Alambil Wed 08-Jun-11 21:12:02

have spares or ground them for life and don't let them out the front door!

Popbiscuit Wed 08-Jun-11 21:18:56

My son has "Bubba"--a blanket-teddy hybrid. If we lost him; I think the event would actually register on the Richter scale. I purchased several back-up Bubbas but he discovered their existence (as I used to swap them in on laundry days) and now he calls them "Fake Bubba" (they smell different apparently). We have had many close-calls and return trips to various locations to retrieve Bubba. Now we have a new rule that Bubba stays in the car/house.
In my next life I would like to search for a comfort item "gene" as all my children have been fiercely attached to blankets/teddies which has resulted in much wailing and gnashing of teeth from DH and I.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:23:35

Can you get/rig up a collar and lead for Tiggah and loop the lead round dd's buggy/car seat/supermarket trolley/your bag when you go out?

fuzzpigFriday Wed 08-Jun-11 21:29:32

This makes me very glad that so far my DCs (nearly 2 and nearly 4) haven't become attached to a particular toy! Mind you I wasn't attached to one either as a child. Like I did, they flit between toys.

are we emotionally stunted do you think

Beamur Wed 08-Jun-11 21:30:44

Luckily DD hasn't fixed entirely on one toy - she had a bit of a phase for a frog from Ikea (so we had spares - just in case) but froggy fell from grace. But they do have the capacity to remember favourite toys for a long time - she still talks about a toy she was very attached to at nursery which she hasn't attended for nearly a year.
Good tip to restrict where the favourite toy goes, if it really that special, keep it in the house - I try not to let DD carry a toy around with her as it is so easy to put it down. Saying that the only toy she has actually lost was one of mine...
A chums daughter had a favourite bird toy which got so fragile she was only allowed to have it at bedtime.

Groovymoves Wed 08-Jun-11 21:32:31

I've spent most of the day turning the house upside down to find DS's dog. Even retraced our steps from yesterday in case she'd (yes she's a girl!) fallen out the buggy. All to no avail.

Was getting very panicky then she turned up in his bedroom, where I'd looked several times. I swear that dog is alive <shudder>

viewfromawindow Wed 08-Jun-11 21:36:04

When I was little we lived in army accomadation and my brother (5yo) dropped his "pandywoo" somewhere on the walk to and from the shops. He went demented without it to the point my Mum walked the route and knocked on all the doors asking if anyone had seen it. At one house as she was speaking to the women who answered and she saw the panda hanging on the washing line. The women stood there and said to her face "No I haven't seen a panda"! My very mild and beautifully mannered Mum then elbowed her way through to examine the creature and it was my brothers! She had actually washed it with the obvious intent of keeping it... Now I am a Mum I find the really odd behaviour - someone elses skanky bear?? How could you keep it knowing a little boy was distraught? Then I feel very proud of mum being pushy for the right reason!

suwoo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:36:38

I'm laughing at the collar/lead rig up grin. You can buy toy clips cheaply on eBay for securing these precious items.

DS1's spare cuski's don't smell the same as 'sniffy'.

Sniffy smells of jam and trumps apparently. Nice.

meltedchocolate Wed 08-Jun-11 21:38:19

my parents told me they had threw my comfort blanket in the fire when i was 3. Apparently after worrying about it, I accepted it was gone and said nothing. Really they had put it in a cupboard grin cruel parents!

LynetteScavo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:39:19

So glad my DC are fickle with toys.

I had a blanket....I had a sleep over aged about 9 and the blanket went missing!shock Oh how I cried every night. Some nights we'd go over to the sleep over house and ask if the'd found it. Eventually, after the tenth time I'd insisted I couldn't sleep and demanded we go and ask again if it had been found, sleepover host mum tutted, fetched the blanket, and everything was well in the world again. smile

Didn't have the guts to actually bin it, did you sleep over host mum.hmm

YANBU.

But get another Tigger while all is well.

JungleGym Wed 08-Jun-11 21:45:19

My dd lost her favourite teddy at the zoo in barcelona. We hadnt noticed it missing, but when my husband went to the loo, he came back with teddy which he had retrieved from the basket in a staff memebers bicycle, prpoed up outside the toilets. Zoo was massive...what were the chances? I nearly boaked also...we now have 3 of said teddy...taking no chances.

maybells Wed 08-Jun-11 22:14:42

my 18 mnth ds has a "ba ba", a sheep teddy that is now grey no matter how many times i wash it and stretched ears from being swung around.
we have purchased another one for spare but he wont touch it, he mite give it a hug then its chucked for his old faithful!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now